PDA

View Full Version : US version of Being Human series on Syfy

Pages : [1] 2 3

mpal2
12-28-2010, 08:29 PM
I just saw one of the spots advertising the US version of Being Human on the Syfy channel.

http://www.syfy.com/beinghuman/index.php

It mostly showed George talking so I can't comment on any impressions of the other characters. I will say that I don't find their vampire to be attractive at all. Annie may be ok. Their George sucks though. I am completely prepared to hate it but I fully admit to prejudice for the UK version.

It's supposed to start Jan 17. Anyone planning on watching it?

znachki
12-28-2010, 08:35 PM
I'll give it a try. I too, love the UK version, but I hate to dismiss it just because.

The one I'm actually excited about is Torchwood.

mpal2
12-28-2010, 08:51 PM
There is going to be a US version of Torchwood? When will it start?

A little off topic but it sounds like Dr Who will have at least 1 episode in the US wild west which I'm looking forward to.

AliasJohnDoe
12-28-2010, 09:13 PM
I love the UK version of Being Human. I plan on watching the US version. I hope it is as good.

Artemis@BC
12-28-2010, 09:40 PM
There is going to be a US version of Torchwood? When will it start?

Last I heard they'd abandoned the idea of a separate US version of Torchwood (Fox withdrew from the project), but that they might base some of the season 4 episodes in the US. That info might be out of date, though.

Seems pretty pointless to do a US version, IMO.

I'm trying to keep an open mind about a US Being Human, but I'm not optimistic either.

Amy L
12-28-2010, 10:27 PM
The whole season of Torchwood (and any future seasons) will be filmed/based in Los Angeles. BBC is skint for money, so the US cable network Starz is picking up a lot of the cost of the show. That's the main reason why it's been moved. The show is keeping the original creator/head writer/show runner Russell T. Davies, so I don't think its tone will change much. He's also hired a lot of former Buffy and Angel writers and producers, which has probably gotten my hopes way up. AFAIK, Captain Jack, Gwen, Rhys and even PC Andy will all still be main characters.

Mekhi Pfifer and Bill Pullman have been cast as well, but I don't know what their parts will be. I'm trying to not be completely spoiled.

mpal2
12-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Will Torchwood still be on BBC America if Starz is picking up the tab?

Amy L
12-28-2010, 10:33 PM
No, it will be aired on Starz.

mpal2
12-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Damn. I don't get Starz. :(

GarrAarghHrumph
12-29-2010, 01:05 AM
I'm trying to keep an open mind about a US Being Human, but I'm not optimistic either.

I'm a bit heartened that they set the US version in Boston, rather than someplace like NYC. I feel like they're at least thinking it through; trying to set the series in a place that fits it well. We'll see.

The guy playing the werewolf is actually from southern NH, so he might be able to do a Boston-ish accent. For which, if his character is supposed to be from Mass., I will be forever grateful, because faked Boston accents tend to be god-awful. And for that *alone* - for casting an actor who might not make me cringe - I will watch.

Of course, it's being filmed in Canada, though. :rollseyes: But at least it's filmed in Montreal, which has a bit of the look of Boston.

GarrAarghHrumph
12-29-2010, 01:09 AM
Damn. I don't get Starz. :(

Is that a pay channel? I don't get Starz.

mpal2
12-29-2010, 04:02 PM
Is that a pay channel? I don't get Starz.

Yes. It's one of the paid movie channels. Although I think that might depend on your service provider and package purchased. I know that Direct TV will give you Encore channels with the HD package. I don't know about any others.

znachki
12-29-2010, 06:25 PM
Here's the deal with the new Torchwood:

It will be set after the events of Children of the Earth. It will take place on a "global scale". Captain Jack, Gwen, Rhys and Andy! will be back, along with a bunch of new cast members - including Mekhi Pfifer and Bill Pullman. It will be 10 episodes long, set to air summer of 2011.

It is a joint BBC/Starz production, with Russell Davies and Julie Gardner, the original producers, at the helm. Among the new writers - Jane Espenson (of Whedonverse and Battlestar Galactica) and John Shiban (Breaking Bad, Supernatural & The X-Files). I think Jane is writing 4 of the eps.

It will air on Starz in the US - but - and this is only going from their previous shows - it will probably be available sometime after airing on Netflix "Starz Play" for instant viewing.

When they set the writing staff I became officially excited, and someone mentioned that, based on comments RTS made in his book, he's learned that "adult" doesn't mean more sex, but more depth. So, I'm hoping for something along the lines of CotE.

Artemis@BC
01-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Here's the deal with the new Torchwood: It will be set after the events of Children of the Earth. It will take place on a "global scale". Captain Jack, Gwen, Rhys and Andy!

Hey, so long as Jack & Gwen are still on board, everything else is gravy as far as I'm concerned!

Speaking of Gwen, anyone else catch "Framed" on Masterpiece Theatre a couple of weeks ago? Eve Myles was in it, playing village schoolteacher. I just got around to watching it the other night, and it was very good.

Amy L
01-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Here is a very detailed report of the Torchwood TCA panel. (http://www.afterelton.com/tv/2011/01/torchwood-tca-scoop) Instead of Torchwood: New World, the official title is now "Torchwood: Miracle Day". From the description, it seems like the move to L.A. is explained when Bill Pullman's character Oswald fails to die from a lethal injection, and when it's obvious that no one on Earth is dying anymore, Gwen tracks down "patient zero" Oswald and has to call Jack back to Earth.