PDA

View Full Version : US version of Being Human series on Syfy

Pages : 1 [2] 3

pollyanna
01-09-2011, 01:34 AM
The whole season of Torchwood (and any future seasons) will be filmed/based in Los Angeles. BBC is skint for money, so the US cable network Starz is picking up a lot of the cost of the show. That's the main reason why it's been moved. The show is keeping the original creator/head writer/show runner Russell T. Davies, so I don't think its tone will change much. He's also hired a lot of former Buffy and Angel writers and producers, which has probably gotten my hopes way up. AFAIK, Captain Jack, Gwen, Rhys and even PC Andy will all still be main characters.

Sounds quite promising, esp since Captain Jack and Gwen will be back.

Damn. I don't get Starz. :(

Nor do I, but for Torchwood, I would subscribe.

I'm conflicted about a US version of Being Human. US copies of British shows often lack the charm and humor of the original (see Life on Mars), and I will miss the adorable Russell Tovey. But I'll keep an open mind and at least give it a chance.

mpal2
01-15-2011, 03:54 AM
:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

Stupid Syfy. The US Mitchell can read minds and erase memories. WTH ARE THEY TRYING TO TWILIGHT HIM?

:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

Artemis@BC
01-17-2011, 05:33 PM
For Canadian viewers, this premiers tonight on Space. 10:00 Eastern / here on the left coast it's 7:00 with a repeat at 10:00.

I'm still skeptical that it will be anywhere near as good as the UK version, but I'll give it a whirl.

Artemis@BC
01-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Well, I watched. Still not nearly as good as the UK version, but actually quite a bit better than I thought it would be. I'd probably give it a 6.5 out of 10, and I'll watch at least one more episode.

The acting was fine (although I thought Mark Pellegrino/Bishop was too in-your-face evil, compared to Jason Watkins/Herrick in the UK version), but they could have used some better material to work with. And it really underscored the difference between UK and US TV: UK TV is more subtle, and treats the viewer's intelligence with more respect.

Small quibble: I liked that they started off with a couple of great indie songs -- "A Mirror Without" (Royal Wood) and "Weighty Ghost" (Wintersleep) -- but then they didn't carry that through, and played schlocky studio music the rest of the way. I wouldn't have noticed the schlock if they hadn't gotten my hopes up!

(BTW, technically I think this is more accurately called the "North American version" rather than the "US version." It's not just filmed in Montreal, it's made by a Canadian production company.)

Lara
01-19-2011, 02:52 AM
I didn't watch, but curious if they avoided any "oops" French signs? :)

znachki
01-19-2011, 03:00 AM
Not too bad. Aiden and Josh are pretty good, although Josh doesn't hold a candle to George. So far, I don't care for Sally at all. Annie had a vunerable quality that Sally doesn't.

I hope that the fill-in nurse goes away. Nothing but annoying. Reminds me - in a bad way - of the Daisy character on Bones. I hope she isn't the Nina of the show.

Also - Artemis I agree with you about the Bishop character. Herrick was much more chilling.

Artemis@BC
01-19-2011, 05:04 PM
I didn't watch, but curious if they avoided any "oops" French signs? :)

I didn't notice any French signs, but this particular production company would be used to looking for that kind of thing. I did specifically notice one Stop sign that said just Stop. It was very clean looking. ;)

AliasJohnDoe
01-19-2011, 11:03 PM
Is the she-werewolf part going to be George's sister in the US version instead of his girlfriend like in the UK version? I don't remember George having a sister in the UK version.

AliasJohnDoe
01-19-2011, 11:30 PM
"Being Human" ratings for 1/17 premeire:
http://tvovermind.zap2it.com/cable/syfy/being-human-syfy/syfys-human-rakes-huge-numberage/44797/

SYFY’S NEW ORIGINAL DRAMA BEING HUMAN SINKS ITS TEETH INTO NEARLY 2 MILLION VIEWERS AT 9PM AND 3.8 MILLION VIEWERS OVERALL

MOST WATCHED SYFY WINTER SCRIPTED PREMIERE SINCE 2005

SYFY’S FIRST EVER ORIGINAL SERIES LAUNCH ON A MONDAY NIGHT SETS RECORD FOR YOUNG FEMALE VIEWERS IN THE 18-49 DEMO

znachki
01-19-2011, 11:34 PM
Is the she-werewolf part going to be George's sister in the US version instead of his girlfriend like in the UK version? I don't remember George having a sister in the UK version.

I don't recall a sister either. It certainly seems like they are setting it up that way.

jamesy
01-19-2011, 11:42 PM
I saw ads for this and thought it looked interesting enough to give it a shot. I didn't even realize it was based from a BBC series. :o I like it and will watch again but I won't be able to play the "spot the differences from the original" game.

Artemis@BC
01-19-2011, 11:46 PM

Maybe, maybe not. The way they ended the episode, there's potentially time for either Sally to will herself to become solid enough to open the door, or for Aiden to wake up from his blood trance -- and therefore get to the hospital to intervene in time.

Having Josh attack & "wolf" his sister just seems ick. Plus if Sally or Aiden don't get there, Josh-as-werewolf is more likely to attack & kill the sister outright -- in an enclosed space like that, with no way out and no other source of food, werewolf eats human, no question.

Artemis@BC
01-19-2011, 11:48 PM
I saw ads for this and thought it looked interesting enough to give it a shot. I didn't even realize it was based from a BBC series. :o I like it and will watch again but I won't be able to play the "spot the differences from the original" game.

It's really not a fun game, esp. when the differences are usually not improvements. You're lucky that you don't have the UK series to compare it to, you can enjoy it at face value.

AliasJohnDoe
01-19-2011, 11:49 PM

So far:
The character names are different.
I think she-wolf will be Josh's sister instead of girlfriend.
The house set-up is different. The stairs are to the sidewall instead of by the door.
And I'm wondering if her ghost entry to the afterlife is in the house closet or at her grave.

mpal2
01-21-2011, 06:09 AM
They have too many shots and scenes that mimic the original without achieving the quality of the original. They also made a huge mistake naming the vampire Aidan. It only reminded me that the actor from the real version of Being Human is named Aidan.

I'll watch a couple more to see if it improves but so far I think this is a very poor version of a good show.