PDA

View Full Version : Detroit SC's "Champions Ice Revue" on Jan. 8 (Sat. 6 pm)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Theatregirl1122
01-09-2011, 05:44 AM
Okay, I guess that's me then.

I didn't take any notes because it was a show and that would have been awkward so I'm just going from memory so nothing will be very specific.

They divided all of the skaters up into four groups and had them do a regular warmup. All of the skaters (I think) did competitive programs. Are Juvenile skaters allowed to do music with lyrics?

Anyways, the first group and a half were skaters who had been to Junior Nationals and all of them were very good. And tiny. Although this show did violate my policy of never watching pairs below junior level (I always think that they are going to die). The rest of the second group were novice dancers. They were good too (although I can't remember their names, sorry! I didn't get a program).

Then they had a Zamboni break. I amused myself by watching the skaters warm up on the floor. Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje were warming up kind of separately. He was dancing very dramatically. Alone. On the floor. It was pretty hilarious. Jeremy Abbott was warming up by the rink and looking pretty serious until he got mobbed by little girls asking for an autograph. Kaitlyn and Andrew got mobbed by the same girls a little later and Andrew ended swinging one of them around. It was very cute.

In group three were two junior US ice dance teams: Anastasia Olson &
Jordan Cowan and Alexandra Aldridge & Daniel Eaton. I had seen both of their programs and mids and thought they were the class of the field. They were both great again. Aldridge & Eaton's FD is to Romeo and Juliet. I'm a sucker for R&J at the best of times, and their FD is really nice. I thought they were a little bit rougher than mids but that's not surprising since this isn't really a competition atmosphere. Olson & Cowan's program is to Zoot Suit Riot and it is very energetic. The lifts were great and they have good presentation. They do a great job of keeping up with the fast music.

Also in group three were two US senior men: Grant Hochstein and William Brewster. Grant is great. He had some jump issues here which I hope he can clean up for Nationals but I really enjoy watching him. He did his SP which I like. I hope he can get his jumps together because he's nice to watch. William Brewster did his LP. He skated pretty well but I swear he used to be more of a ginger. And his music still makes me very sleeeeeeepy.

Group three also included a dance team from Australia who were good but unfortunately I can't remember their names. And a girl who I think they said was from Greece? She was a bit rough.

Final group had a pretty impressive list of accomplishments all together (also a fairly impressive ability to melt down).

Becky Bereswill & Trevor Young skated first and skated their LP to Chicago. I've reported on them three times already this year so I think that everyone knows that I really like them. This wasn't their best skate but the program is still great for them. I am not sure what is going on with their last lift because it seemed really short this time as well. I really like the lifts in this program, though.

Next were Madison & Keiffer Hubbell. They did their FD but it took me a while to figure out that it was their FD because they wore black costumes that didn't look anything like their normal FD costumes. Keiffer started the program by falling on crossovers right out of the gate. After that they did well. I like this program for them and I'm hoping that they can pull it all together because I think they will have a really good shot at the podium if they do.

Kaitlyn Weaver & Andrew Poje were next. They did their FD and they were excellent. It still isn't my favorite program but I liked it so much more live. They did a wonderful job. She needs to lose the dog collar though. I really hope they can kick this program's butt at nationals and win/be second (depending on whether Tessa & Scott compete).

After that was Tomas Verner. He was pretty good. He popped a few jumps but sold the program really well so I don't think most of the audience noticed.

Then Jeremy Abbott skated his LP. I love his program and I'm glad I got to see it but he had a rough night. Lots of pops and step outs. I feel like Jeremy never puts two great programs in a row so maybe this is a sign that he's got plenty left for Nationals.

Alissa Czisny was next and she had, well, she had a rough night, too. I think she missed every single one of her jumps. On the upside, she skated her SP so there were only three jumping passes. I love watching her spin though. Still can't figure out why she had that purple smudge added to her dress.

Meryl and Charlie were last and they skated their SD. They did a beautiful job. Everyone has seen this program by now so I don't need to give details. But they were really great. I didn't notice any mistakes. I saw this program live before the GP series. I'm really impressed with how much cleaner and sharper the program is.

The herded all of the skaters out to take a bow which was pretty funny.

I took a bunch of pictures and I will edit them and post them as soon as I have time but the lighting was pretty weird (I think maybe partially because I was sitting in the last row to try to see over the hockey glass) so we'll see what I can get out of them.

lovesdance
01-09-2011, 06:07 AM
Thanks so much for the report TG! Can't wait to see everyone skate at Nats. :)

maggylyn
01-09-2011, 06:08 AM
Thank you, Theatregirl!

Great report, as usual. :)

Aussie Willy
01-09-2011, 06:26 AM
Someone just sent me a photo with the Aussie dance team.

It is Danielle O'Brien and Greg Merriman.

How nice that they got an opportunity to perform in that show.

Theatregirl1122
01-09-2011, 06:28 AM
Someone just sent me a photo with the Aussie dance team.

It is Danielle O'Brien and Greg Merriman.

Thank you!

mollymgr
01-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the great report TG! :)

Debbie S
01-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Thanks, TG! Glad you were able to go.

mysticchic
01-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Just to add a few things. The final group was like looking at a world team. The talent on the ice was chilling. The young lady who skated for Greece is Georgia Glastris. She trains out of Northbrook IL.
In the first group there was the 4 little cowgirl Evolution beginners. Cute as buttons. A young lady by the name of Chloe Rosin. She was great! She has a really nice spiral which I would put up there with Caroline. Then she did a beautiful spread eagle (almost half way down the ice) into a double axle.
There were a lot of freak falls at one end of the ice for the ice dancers and the single skaters.
I'm am trying to find info on a watercolor of Charlie and Meryl from the Olympics OD. For the original painting they are holding an auction to benefit a food bank in Detroit and the Parade Company. They also have for sale limited prints 10 giclee ($650.00), 50 artist proofs ($450.00), and 225 lithographs ($225.00). It was painted by Doug West (he has done paintings for Time, Sports Illustrated) and autographed. If your a Charlie and Meryl fan this is a must have.
I have photos and will post them when I can.

Garden Kitty
01-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Glad you were able to go, and thanks for the great report.

HeatherC
01-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the reports! :)

flutzilla1
01-09-2011, 11:29 PM
Found the Meryl and Charlie print in question:

http://www.detroitcitysports.com/servlet/the-4970/Meryl-Davis-%26-Charlie/Detail

Sylvia
01-09-2011, 11:44 PM
Tomas Verner's MJ medley FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp73OkJ0va4

Hubbell/Hubbell's FD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCAop6gYdgU

Edited to remove the links of the videos that are no longer online.

shan
01-09-2011, 11:45 PM
And Meryl and Charlie's SD exhibition is on the end of the Alissa Czisny vid....

Bonita
01-09-2011, 11:49 PM
Are Juvenile skaters allowed to do music with lyrics?

Yes, and my ears are now burning every time I'm at the rink, OMG, what's worse, Disney music, hip hop (which I like but don't want to see a child shaking it), you name it, they're skating to it. My coach claims it helps some kids relate to the music better, which I can understand, but ouch at some of the choices.

Sk8dog
01-10-2011, 12:22 AM
was great show. Lineup was incredible. For the price and seating you can't beat it anywhere.