PDA

View Full Version : Volosozhar & Trankov at Worlds

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

judgejudy27
12-27-2010, 10:28 PM
After seeing Volosozhar and Trankov compete at Nationals if they are able to compete at Worlds (I think they need to compete at a couple ISU sanctioned events to be eligible) where do you think they will finish. I think they have a good shot of winning silver or even gold at Worlds if they skate how they did at Nationals.

pani
12-27-2010, 10:32 PM
I think they will skate at competition in Europe to get minimum score for take part at WCh.
I hope they could skate clean at WCh and then will see. I think for them more important to show clean skating and not thinking about medals.
Good luck them! I really love this new team!

kia_4EverOnIce
12-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Their wikipedia page has already been updated, saying that they will try to get the minimum score either in Italy or in Netherland:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxim_Trankov#cite_note-plans-12
Russian article: http://www.vesti.ru/doc.html?id=410954&cid=680
(Googletranslate seems to confirm this ;) )

judgejudy27
12-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Honestly if they skate like they did at Nationals I think only the Germans are a threat to beat them. I dont think Kavaguti & Smirnov or Pang & Tong would do a clean competition at Worlds. Both teams are too inconsistent in general. And even if they did V&T skating like they did at Nationals and with the backing as the Russian #1 pair would beat them.

MikiAndoFan#1
12-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Their scores at the Russian Nationals were huge and it would be great if they skated well at Worlds, but I don't think a medal is in within their reach this year.

julieann
12-27-2010, 11:02 PM
They don't have a track record yet to use the term inconsistent but they can have a bad skate just like anyone else. Look at Maxim's Olympic short program or Worlds free skate. Tatiana hasn't been perfect with Stas either. They skated well today but their biggest competition came from a team who had major surgery and other injuries and didn't start training until the later summer; early fall.

I will be a different story at worlds with P/T, S/S and a healthier K/S.

They may win gold, they may mess up completely and finish 4th...who knows.

Allen
12-27-2010, 11:14 PM
I don't see them getting PCS in the same range at Worlds, obviously, but I think they could possibly be in the top 3 if they skate like they did today. I agree with julieann, though, that they could end up in any number of placements.

Jenna
12-27-2010, 11:14 PM
They are certainly in the hunt. But if they skate the way they did today, podium for sure. Could be any color.

Cherub721
12-27-2010, 11:22 PM
They've already demonstrated that they can beat K&S. They should be able to beat P&T on TES alone. But I don't think S&S are in their reach this year. When the international judges and S&S are getting along their scores are stratospheric.

Most pairs bomb at Worlds in their first season together, anyway. It's weird to think of that happening with V&T, but you never know. They (and we as an audience) are lucky that Russia has such a thorough national event series to give them ample opportunities to compete before her ISU waiting period is up (I remember even Plushenko taking part in the Russian cup events, so they seem to be a pretty big deal there), so at least they have a decent amount of experience with competing and getting levels etc. Obviously they were not competing against the cream of the crop but I get the feeling that they have been skating every event as if it were the most important one in their lives!

dinakt
12-27-2010, 11:28 PM
Voted silver:))))))) I love S/S, as well, so am voting my dream podium: S/S, then V/T. And Gold for them next year.
The way they skate, it seems they can!!! Just incredible.
If they win Gold, I will not cry, LOL.

julieann
12-27-2010, 11:30 PM
They've already demonstrated that they can beat K&S. They should be able to beat P&T on TES alone. But I don't think S&S are in their reach this year. When the international judges and S&S are getting along their scores are stratospheric

V/T beat K/S at one competition, hardly a track record yet. K/S beat every team in the world except S/Z, that doesn't mean they can be beaten.

Most pairs bomb at Worlds in their first season together, anyway.

But I don't think that wouldn't apply to them, they both have been in 4th place at worlds before. The teams that bomb are usually teams that either have never been or have never done well.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
12-27-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm gonna say bronze for now.

S&S are the front runners for the title and P&T have been getting great scores whether they deserved them or not.

As Worlds would be V&T's first international with the big guns, I wouldn't think they'd be contending for the title. But then, I never thought the national judges would actually let V&T beat K&S regardless of the skating, so it could happen.

mia joy
12-28-2010, 12:01 AM
I went with bronze too.

I think S/S and either P/T or K/S will beat them at worlds, if everybody skates clean.

But I would love to see them win silver, only behind the Germans.

judgejudy27
12-28-2010, 12:14 AM
Their scores at the Russian Nationals were huge and it would be great if they skated well at Worlds, but I don't think a medal is in within their reach this year.

Not even "within their reach". :lol: I mean it is one thing if you dont think they will medal at Worlds but you make it out like it is impossible. There are only 3 other teams who are even threats to them unless the majorly bomb. The Germans, Pang & Tong, and Kavaguti & Smirnov. They easily beat Kavaguti & Smirnov at Nationals and Pang & Tong havent even skated well all year.

MikiAndoFan#1
12-28-2010, 12:50 AM
Not even "within their reach". :lol: I mean it is one thing if you dont think they will medal at Worlds but you make it out like it is impossible. There are only 3 other teams who are even threats to them unless the majorly bomb. The Germans, Pang & Tong, and Kavaguti & Smirnov. They easily beat Kavaguti & Smirnov at Nationals and Pang & Tong havent even skated well all year.

I didn't mean to say it was impossible. I really do think they can medal, and I'd love to see that happen, but I don't see them medaling this year.