PDA

View Full Version : Time To Go Bed Shopping? / How Long Have You Owned Your Bed?

Pages : [1] 2

PeterG
12-27-2010, 04:52 AM
I bought a condo recently and have about three times (or more!) space than in my old bachelor apartment. One thing on my "to buy" list is a queen sized bed. I did a little research on the internet about buying a bed and thought I'd share my notes. And see if any of y'all have info that I might have missed!

Here's what I came up with:

- box spring mattresses provide more give while mattresses with slats provide more support

- coil count - independant coil is preferred over interlocking coil

- two types of mattresses - springs or without springs (such as foam, flotation or futon)

- (back) support - while lying on a bed, place hand under your back - is there much of a gap? If so, the mattress might be too hard ... is there little or no space? Then the mattress may be too soft

- storage underneath is good for those of us with lots of stuff

- ask the salesperson about warranties ... delivery fees ... construction that you will have to do ... hidden charges

Another thing I read was that sales people are often willing to come down in price, sometimes up to a few hundred dollars off the list price (depending on the cost of the bed you want to buy). They often don't want to see you walking out of the store without having made a sale, so get your bartering skills ready for use! Another possibility is that they might throw in free bedsheets and/or free pillows.

And lastly, my sister said that January is when beds are often on sale. Not sure if that's just our area, or if that's fairly universal???

P.S. The consensus online seemed to bed that one's bed should be replaced every 10 years or so.

Kelleys6th
12-27-2010, 05:10 AM
I have a Select Comfort/Sleep Number bed and I love it. It's pretty much an air matress, but if you have back problems like me, it's a life saver! It's nice to be able to make your bed stiffer or softer (when I'm in pain I make it softer.) Also, you can buy the model that has 2 air chambers - one for you and one for your partner - and they can be adjusted for each person.
They say it can last 30 years - I've had mine for 7.
Good luck shopping!

:cat:

genevieve
12-27-2010, 05:58 AM
I sleep on a futon on a frame. I inherited the frame from a friend many many years ago. I have a really bad back and need a very firm sleeping surface, so an older (or as I like to think of it, "mature") futon is pretty good, but this one is at least 8 years old.

In January I stayed at a friend's and slept on a futon with springs in it. It was great! I'm hoping to get a new bed in 2011, and that's the type I want.

ps congrats on the new condo!

Marge_Simpson
12-27-2010, 06:22 AM
I recently bought a Serta pillowtop and never slept so well in my life. I have always had terrible insomnia, but since buying the new mattress it is gone. Maybe I was sleeping on the wrong mattress all along?
I would definitely recommend a pillowtop.

Aussie Willy
12-27-2010, 06:39 AM
I think I am due for a bed replacement, or at least the mattress. When I did go looking at beds recently there were a few things I learnt.

Some mattresses I think like the latex ones actually generate heat. So if you don't like being hot when you sleep then don't get one of those. But you can get a good quality mattress without spending a fortune.

I have a slat bed so all I will need to replace is the mattress. But I did get it for the specific reason that I could store stuff under it.

Good suggestion for storage is buy those plastic tubs on wheels so you can pull them in and out easily. Cheap solution that can be easily hidden with a valance. And you can fit quite a few under a bed.

Marge_Simpson
12-27-2010, 06:48 AM
As far as storage goes, I would buy this bed in a minute if it only came in a different color:
http://www.westelm.com/products/pivot-storage-bed-frame-g022/?pkey=cheadboards-bed-frames

my little pony
12-27-2010, 07:02 AM
i like that my bed is high enough off the ground to vacuum under it without an attachment or having to move it

manhn
12-27-2010, 07:05 AM
I usually have little problems with sleep (although I tend to prefer my mattress harder), so I bought my bed based solely on price. I bought mine at Sears back in May. I was looking at beds for awhile and I didn't see any significant price differential from January to May. They had free delivery. I got a bed frame and two pillows for free, and the headbed was something like 75% off.

kwanfan1818
12-27-2010, 08:06 AM
If you find a latex mattress that you like, it will run hot, but that can be neutralized by a lambswool mattress pad. I bought a latex over foam mattress that I love -- the firm all-latex felt a little too much like quicksand -- from Majestic on 4th just west of Burrard. Unfortunately, they don't show this mattress on their website, or I would link to it.

Aceon6
12-27-2010, 03:35 PM
The markup on mattresses can range from 200% to 400% at the high end. That's why so many people are selling them. They can sell only a few a day and completely cover their overhead.

I was advised to buy only from a high volume seller that guarantees a brand new (never unwrapped) mattress. No need to take a chance on getting a buyer's remorse mattress with the possibility of someone else's cooties.

Really
12-27-2010, 03:46 PM
We had a king-sized waterbed for 20 years, and then husband's back started to bother him so we started shopping. We went to Sleep Country and ordered a 'california king' mattress to fit our waterbed frame. The salesperson talked to us about the coil counts and all that other stuff, and then through in a king-sized non-feather duvet. We've since bought another mattress from them that replaced a queen sized waterbed bladder.

We had excellent service from Sleep Country -- they delivered and 'installed' both mattresses, and wore little booties when they came in so they didn't mess up the floor. And yes, their pricing was good. We looked at Sears, The Brick, and pretty much every other place that sells mattresses before we settled on Sleep Country.

Rex
12-27-2010, 04:35 PM
I just got a new foam memory mattress in November. Before that I had a mattress I used when I lived at my Grandma's - it HAD to be over twenty years old, and it felt it. The springs were starting to poke through. I felt like I was in bed with Captain Hook.

nerdycool
12-27-2010, 08:02 PM
About 5 months ago, we bought a TempurPedic. At first I was leery because I heard that they slept hot. But after a little research, I found that the newer ones have been engineered to combat that issue. So we got one of the more premium models. I have to say, it's totally been worth it. The only thing we didn't really like was that TempurPedic's don't go on sale, ever, so the salesperson wouldn't budge on the price. But there was a promo going on that gave 2 free TP memory foam pillows with the mattress purchase. So that was good.

Rob
12-27-2010, 08:04 PM
I have a Serta Pillowtop, a Sealy Posturepedic with a memory foam top, and a Select Comfort/Sleep Number. The winner is Sleep Number. I have lower back and neck issues and I can adjust it. My husband likes a firmer mattress than I do so he can adjust his. I liked the Serta pillowtop, but he hated it. The Sealy with the memory foam top (which is at our weekend house) gives me a terrible back and neck ache, but he loves it.

KikiSashaFan
12-27-2010, 10:27 PM
My mattress is about 5 years old, but in the last year I've added a 5 inch memory foam topper. It's heaven :swoon: