PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Michalle
01-03-2011, 01:27 AM
The Night Watch is amazing! I do wish it had had one more round of editing though, b/c I think with a few minor changes it could have been even better.

Erin
01-03-2011, 02:08 AM
I got an e-reader for Christmas and thought I'd rejoin the reading thread after a long absence. Normally I prefer to read fiction, but for whatever reason I've gone on a kick of true crime novels. I started with The Informant (later made into a movie starring Matt Damon) about price fixing at an ag company. I found that one really interesting, so I looked for other books by Kurt Eichenwald and found that he had written Conspiracy of Fools about the Enron scandal, which was even better. So now I'm on a kick of Enron books (24 Hours is next and then probably The Smartest Guys in the Room), although I think at some point I want to get back into fiction. Especially with a beach vacation coming up, where I think I would prefer a little bit lighter fare.

Prancer
01-03-2011, 04:48 AM
Did anyone get a Border's gift card for Christmas? You might want to use it soon.
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/as_borders_struggles_to_pay_its_bills_will_it_be_t .php

Evilynn
01-03-2011, 12:42 PM
I just started reading Matched by Ally Condie. More dystopian literature--sort of my favorite kind. The people think they are living in a utopia, but slowly discover it's not all it's cracked up to be.

I put that on my wishlist a couple of weeks ago, let us know if it's any good, will you? :)

Picked up PopCo (http://www.amazon.com/PopCo-Scarlett-Thomas/dp/B000I2J20E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294058367&sr=8-1) by Scarlett Thomas, and I'm hoping it'll be a good read. Lots of people have recommended it to me, which makes me a little nervous, because that usually means I'm set up for disappointment. :P

Allen
01-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Did anyone get a Border's gift card for Christmas? You might want to use it soon.
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/as_borders_struggles_to_pay_its_bills_will_it_be_t .php

Yikes, I have a couple Border's gift cards I need to use. I guess Oliver and I will head over there this morning. Like everyone else, I've been buying books on Kindle, so I guess that's a big part of the problem.

Jackie Sparrow
01-03-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm reading another book by Frank Schätzing, Lautlos

I received the newest Barbara Wood for Christmas :cheer:

rfisher
01-03-2011, 01:49 PM
As the Representative for Trashy Reading here, I eschew anything remotely literary and so spent my weekend reading Mary Balogh's Regencies "A Christmas Promise" and "A Matter of Class." I'd recommend both, if that's your fancy; Balogh has a knack for creating realistic characters and stepping just to the side of the traditional Regionacy format.

I have Nelson DeMille's "Wild Fire" going on audio in the car. It seems interminable but I do want to know how it ends so I keep plodding along with it.

My soul mate.

I read all three of the Hunger Games books over the last two weeks. WTF happened between Book 2 and Book 3? This is one of the most blatant changes of characters I've read. I wished the protag would just die what with all the whining and self-recriminations. I just skipped ahead read the end and put the book in the give to the local library pile. The good thing is I have a new library to plunder for audio books. I'm re-listening to the LOTR trilogy since I didn't have anything to listen to on the long holiday drives, but will stop at the new library this weekend.

I also realized I have over 30 books in my TBR pile. :shuffle: No more Borders trips for a while. Yeah. Uh huh.

PrincessLeppard
01-03-2011, 05:55 PM
I put that on my wishlist a couple of weeks ago, let us know if it's any good, will you? :)

Matched is so far very good, but the plot as described on the book isn't the actual plot. Probably because they don't want to put a lot of nuance in the plot description of a young adult novel. But still.

My soul mate.

I read all three of the Hunger Games books over the last two weeks. WTF happened between Book 2 and Book 3? This is one of the most blatant changes of characters I've read. I wished the protag would just die what with all the whining and self-recriminations. I just skipped ahead read the end and put the book in the give to the local library pile.

Have you not been reading my posts in this thread? :drama: I said the third book totally blew. To totally change the personalities of all the main characters like that? Not cool. And then to just randomly kill off another significant character was lame as well.

Artemis@BC
01-03-2011, 09:41 PM
...Earth (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=%22what+if%22#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_17?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=earth+jon+stewart&sprefix=earth+jon+stewart&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Aearth+jon+stewart) by Jon Stewart et al, which I think will be a light, satirical read. ...

I got that one a couple of months ago, and have been picking away at it ever since. It's currently parked beside the couch, as I can usually read 1 entry per commercial break. The problem is that I haven't watched much "live" TV with commercials for a while ... Anyway, if you liked America, you'll like this one too.

I'm currently reading a newish Val McDermid mystery, A Darker Domain. It's not part of the Tony Hill / Carol Jordan series (which are great), or the Lindsay Gordon series (which are pretty bad IMO), but rather a stand-alone. So far pretty good, and best of all it's set in Fife, a part of Scotland very near and dear to my heart.

PrincessLeppard
01-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Matched utterly and completely fell apart near the end. It may not for others; I am not a romantic person at all, and while for some reason I could tolerate Bella's angst, Cassia's annoys me--honey, all that happened was you fell for the "forbidden" one. Also, it's set up for a sequel, but I will probably skip it.

rfisher
01-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Matched is so far very good, but the plot as described on the book isn't the actual plot. Probably because they don't want to put a lot of nuance in the plot description of a young adult novel. But still.

Have you not been reading my posts in this thread? :drama: I said the third book totally blew. To totally change the personalities of all the main characters like that? Not cool. And then to just randomly kill off another significant character was lame as well.

I do recall that now that you mention it. What was she thinking? Just as I was about to decide that maybe YA Dystopian stuff wasn't angsty crap, now it's been reaffirmed that it indeed is angsty crap. :lol:

Twilight1
01-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Just finished reading The Queen's Fool by Gregory. Great book IMHO. Cast a different light on Queen Mary (Bloody) and really makes you think how shytty her life must have been.

Nomad
01-04-2011, 03:59 PM
I'm reading another book by Frank Schätzing, Lautlos

I received the newest Barbara Wood for Christmas :cheer:

Is Schätzing the one who writes futuristic thrillers?

Spinner
01-05-2011, 04:18 AM
Digging through my boxes of books last night trying to find Wilde's "Picture of Dorian Gray" I came across my REALLY OLD copies of Madeline L'Engle's "Wrinkle in Time" trilogy. So, I opted for a trip back to my childhood and began reading them last night. Sorry Prancer, I know we talked about "Dorian", but I'm a nostalgic fool and these won out. Besides, they'll be a super-quick read and I can pick it up in a few days. :)

Wyliefan
01-05-2011, 04:39 AM
I love those. I have something of a love-hate relationship with L'Engle -- I adore some of her books and can't stand others. But the Time trilogy is definitely in the "adore" category.