PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 [67]

IceAlisa
06-08-2011, 06:38 AM
Or my all-time favorite, Notes from the Underground.

The effect of the opening line I am a sick man … I am a wicked man. An unattractive man, I think my liver hurts. could only be compared to the effect of the opening line of The Stranger. I felt like I was hit by Mike Tyson.

Thank goodness for the opening lines of the likes of Jane Austen's P&P. :)

PrincessLeppard
06-08-2011, 06:38 AM
I admit I am intrigued by the idea The Meowmorphosis wrt to the book and wrt to PL. :cat:

Well, I think it's better done than Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, and you have to be a cat person to get some of the humor. But I'm halfway through and it's pretty funny. :)

IceAlisa
06-08-2011, 06:42 AM
Well, I think it's better done than Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, and you have to be a cat person to get some of the humor. But I'm halfway through and it's pretty funny. :)

I AM a proud cat person all the way. Through and through. My username was chosen in honor of a cat. :cat: :kickass:

Nomad
06-08-2011, 06:47 AM

Thank goodness for the opening lines of the likes of Jane Austen's P&P. :)

One of my favorites, no question. partly because it always reminds me of when I worked at Brentano's and a woman came in asking for Clan of the Cave Bear by Jane Austen. "It is a truth universally acknowleged that a prehistoric woman, in possession of blond hair, must be in want of a tribe."

genevieve
06-08-2011, 07:56 AM
I don't get David Sedaris. I know I should but I don't. I also don't get Seinfeld. :slinkaway

Sedaris' early fiction essays (they really weren't short stories) left me feeling that way, but I do like his autobiographical ones. But I liked them better when he was still developing as a writer - now it's like "what crazy observations will David Sedaris have today?". I get it and they're often witty but I just don't feel the need to keep reading them anymore.

I'm not a huge fan of Seinfeld either - can take it or leave it.

zaphyre14
06-08-2011, 01:00 PM
I also don't get Seinfeld. :slinkaway

Me neither. I've tried but.... I can think of a thousand other ways to waste time that I might actually enjoy.

I'm scraping the bottom of the library's collection of audio tapes for the car and just finished Elizabeth Berg's "True to Form." Aside from the hated first-person present-tense format, it wasn't too bad for a coming-of-age-in-1961 novel. None of the 13 year old girls I know are that introspective, though. I did get into the characters enough to wonder what happened to them after the book ended: Did Cheryl Ann have a boy or a girl? Did Katy grow to like her new school? Did Cynthia ever really forgive and forget?

Now I'm on to Karen Slaughter's "Blindsighted" as a change of pace.

In print, I finished "Mistress of Rome and started "Daughters of Rome" but got distracted by a kid's skating book I bought at a competition over the winter and forgot about: "Cammie and Alex's Adventures in Skating History" by Olga Jaffae - it's a little preachy but sweet. And then I picked up Rachel Caine's "Unseen" - which is grim and a little too angsty for my taste at least at the start. I'll get back to Rome eventually.

Erin
06-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Finished Bossypants. All of her individual stories are good, but they fail to make a cohesive whole. I'm not really sure what she was trying to say, as her messages were muddled by there being so many of them.

If you just take it on the surface level as a funny woman who wrote a relatively funny book, it's worth keeping in your bathroom.

I read Bossypants a couple weeks ago and you've nailed exactly what was bothering me about the book. Everything in it was good and I enjoyed all of the stories, but I ended up being disappointed with the book as a whole and it's basically because it wasn't that cohesive. Since I have a major girl-crush on Tina Fey, I want to be more positive about it than I actually am. Oh well...still funny overall.

I'm currently reading The Tudors: The Complete Story of England's Most Notorious Dynasty by G.J. Meyer, as it caught my eye when looking for some vacation reading. I'm about halfway through it and would recommend it, although it's a little annoying the way Meyer skims over some things while covering others in excruciating detail (Henry VIII's last three marriages are covered in about two pages while multiple chapters are devoted to the way he arranged to have anyone who disagreed with him killed, which got a bit repetitive). But it's well-written and a fascinating story. It's a little odd to read about England, which always gives off the impression of being a very civilized place, having such a barbaric history.

Spinner
06-09-2011, 07:37 AM
Tea Obreht won the Orange Prize (http://newsroom.orange.co.uk/2011/06/08/t-a-obreht-wins-2011-orange-prize-for-fiction/) for fiction today (given in the UK to female authors) for her novel The Tiger's Wife (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-tigers-wife-t-a-obreht/1030556782?ean=9780385343831&itm=1&usri=the%2btiger%2bs%2bwife). I picked it up today since the story actually sounds pretty interesting. Anyone else read it yet? Thoughts?

Japanfan
06-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Stephanie Meyer's The Host is a book about body snatchers and I doubted whether I would get through the first chapter. But I couldn't stop until I got through all 600 plus pages. It wasn't the most original science fiction, but it certainly was an interesting story with interesting and compelling characters.

dbell1
06-09-2011, 08:02 PM
I received and read "The Lost Dogs: Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption" last night. I cried all the way through it. Gut wrenching, horrifying, and ultimately rewarding. It will haunt me. And I highly recommend it to everyone.

mkats
06-09-2011, 10:43 PM
Am slogging (Artemis@BC's highly accurate term) through Land of Painted Caves. This is like Shelters of Stone, except 3 times as boring. I read half of Part I and skipped the rest of it, along with Part II. Things have vaguely started to pick up in Part III... although so far the amazon.com reviews have been far more entertaining.

What a crappy end to a series that started off so well. I still love to reread Clan of the Cave Bear and Valley of Horses, when every character - even the ones that we didn't hear much about, like within the Mamutoi group - had their own personality. Now it's just let's-meet-all-these-random-people-from-the-Zelandoni! And more random people! MORE RANDOM PEOPLE! If you want people to care about your characters, don't invent 203948293048239 of them.

Prancer
06-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Someone needs to start a new thread :).