PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67

PrincessLeppard
06-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Finished Catching Fire this afternoon - and the way it ended? No way I can just pretend the 3rd one doesn't exist :shuffle:

When you come back all :mad: just remember you were warned.

^This. But at least you can join us in our misery. :EVILLE:

genevieve
06-06-2011, 05:12 PM
I just finished "The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud." Mind you, I saw a commercial for the movie first before finding out it was a book. I read the book but haven't seen the movie yet. Don't think I want to.

Right now, I'm starting up on "Snow Falling on Cedars." I heard this is pretty good. ^^

Based on the trailers for the film, I don't think I could possibly read the book. It just looks way too dumb.

I remember that I liked Snow Falling on Cedars but I read it about 14-15 years ago.

And yes, I am looking forward to joining the :mad: crowd about Mockingjay and will remember how well I've been warned although the 2 people I talked to (separately) about this over the weekend were :eek: at the idea of the thrid book being bad. One said the 2nd book was the bad one :huh: and the other said the 3rd represented "character development".

And I joined GoodReads last night :cheer2:

PrincessLeppard
06-06-2011, 06:22 PM
If by "character development" she means the characters become unrecognizable idiots, then yes, she is correct. :P

rfisher
06-06-2011, 06:53 PM
If by "character development" she means the characters become unrecognizable idiots, then yes, she is correct. :P

With random acts and deaths that have no bearing on anything. Character development in the sense the author totally ran out of ideas. :lol:

TygerLily
06-06-2011, 07:36 PM
I remember that I liked Snow Falling on Cedars but I read it about 14-15 years ago.

And yes, I am looking forward to joining the :mad: crowd about Mockingjay and will remember how well I've been warned although the 2 people I talked to (separately) about this over the weekend were :eek: at the idea of the thrid book being bad. One said the 2nd book was the bad one :huh: and the other said the 3rd represented "character development".

Agree on Cedars, but I also read it that long ago and can't remember why I liked it.

I didn't hate the third book, either. I've been afraid to confess that here.

PrincessLeppard
06-07-2011, 05:22 AM
Tygerlily is dead to me :drama:

;)

I'm reading the Meowmorphosis. "one morning, as Gregor Samsa was waking up from anxious dreams, he discovered he had been changed into an adorable kitten.".

:). So far, so good.

Spinner
06-07-2011, 06:34 AM
Tygerlily is dead to me :drama:

;)

I'm reading the Meowmorphosis. "one morning, as Gregor Samsa was waking up from anxious dreams, he discovered he had been changed into an adorable kitten.".

:). So far, so good. And so the crazy cat lady transformation continues... :slinkaway

Prancer
06-07-2011, 11:20 AM
And so the crazy cat lady transformation continues... :slinkaway

She'll be wearing tatty cardigans all summer and shaking her fist at children any day now.

I am reading The Informationist (http://www.amazon.com/Informationist-Thriller-Taylor-Stevens/dp/0307717097). It's very odd to see Lisbeth Sanders mentioned in all those reviews, as she immediately popped into my head, too. But aside from the fact that both female protagonists are, er, rather feral, they really don't have a lot in common, and the stories are completely different. I hope this book will be more interesting than 2/3 of the Dragon Tattoo book, anyway.

Artemis@BC
06-07-2011, 09:04 PM
:). So far, so good.

I'm already half-way to being a crazy cat lady anyway ... so I just added that one to my list.

IceAlisa
06-07-2011, 09:24 PM
I admit I am intrigued by the idea The Meowmorphosis wrt to the book and wrt to PL. :cat:

Grannyfan
06-08-2011, 12:05 AM
Finished Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. It was an absolute delight, and I highly recommend it. Have started one called The Kitchen House with Caleb's Crossingto follow after that.

Nomad
06-08-2011, 03:45 AM
I got a used copy of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes for my summer read on your recommendation. :)

I hope you enjoy it. It's one of my favorite comic novels.

Matryeshka
06-08-2011, 05:41 AM
Finished Bossypants. It was sort of like a feminist, less NPR pretentious David Sedaris collection of essays. (FTR, I love David Sedaris' books, and I respect his intellect, wit, and ability to make the mundane seem humorous and tragic, but I'm not sure I'd like him. Tina Fey seems like a :kickass sort of person. I'd hang with her.)

All of her individual stories are good, but they fail to make a cohesive whole. I'm not really sure what she was trying to say, as her messages were muddled by there being so many of them. I'd have probably liked it better if I'd treated it more as a coffee table book, reading a chapter here and there rather than reading it like a novel.

If you just take it on the surface level as a funny woman who wrote a relatively funny book, it's worth keeping in your bathroom.

IceAlisa
06-08-2011, 06:23 AM
I don't get David Sedaris. I know I should but I don't. I also don't get Seinfeld. :slinkaway

I hope you enjoy it. It's one of my favorite comic novels.
Will report back soon as I am planning to read it on my upcoming beach vacation. Can't wait.

Nomad
06-08-2011, 06:32 AM
Will report back soon as I am planning to read it on my upcoming beach vacation. Can't wait.

Loos herself described the bare-bones plot as "gloomy as anything by Dostoevesky", which is true, but she made it funny. Which is more than I can say for The Village of Stepanchikovo & Its Inhabitants. ;)

ETA: Humor doesn't always translate well. I read Village in English and thought it a poor man's novelized version of Tartuffe. It might have been funny in Russian. Or if I were more than 1/8 Russian.