PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67

TygerLily
06-06-2011, 03:47 AM
Plus, creative writing teachers tell English writers that comma splices and fragments are acceptable in fiction if they're used for effect. :shuffle:

PrincessLeppard
06-06-2011, 03:58 AM
I teach Creative Writing. Fragments are fine. Comma splices? :scream:

Prancer
06-06-2011, 04:10 AM
Plus, creative writing teachers tell English writers that comma splices and fragments are acceptable in fiction if they're used for effect. :shuffle:

They do?

I hate the rushed, careless effect of comma splices. One or two here and there isn't so bad; I'll suffer through. Nearly every sentence in the book? :scream:

Same with fragments. :P

TygerLily
06-06-2011, 04:12 AM
Comma splices? :scream::shuffle: Yeah, sorry! (I've taken a bazillion creative writing courses and it's not just one teacher who said this. But I'll stop using them! Bad grammar irritates the heck out of me, so I understand...)

Prancer
06-06-2011, 04:20 AM
:shuffle: Yeah, sorry! (I've taken a bazillion creative writing courses and it's not just one teacher who said this. But I'll stop using them! Bad grammar irritates the heck out of me, so I understand...)

Here's a comma splice I consider used to good effect:

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought.

Here's one I consider stab worthy:

He forced himself to mount the steps and considered his options, he rang the doorbell with a trembling finger.

:mad:

I have a sister on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/4672992

IceAlisa
06-06-2011, 04:35 AM
Another Goodreads poster said that different rules may apply in British English. Does anyone know if this is true in the case of comma splices? :confused:

Prancer
06-06-2011, 05:05 AM
Another Goodreads poster said that different rules may apply in British English. Does anyone know if this is true in the case of comma splices? :confused:

British writers are more inclined to use comma splices than American writers are, but even by British standards, Atkinson is a standout.

IceAlisa
06-06-2011, 05:20 AM
British writers are more inclined to use comma splices than American writers are, but even by British standards, Atkinson is a standout.

I hate to tell you, but the Atkinson book I am reading now is also full of fragments.

genevieve
06-06-2011, 05:24 AM
Finished Catching Fire this afternoon - and the way it ended? No way I can just pretend the 3rd one doesn't exist :shuffle:

But first: Libba Bray's Beauty Queens

Spinner
06-06-2011, 05:25 AM
I don't know what it is, but comma splices and run-ons drive me crazy. Other errors don't bother me nearly as much. I actually get something of an adrenaline rush when I read something with a lot of comma splices and feel this strong physical urge to DO something like whip out a blue pencil and correct them all.

A worse offense than dog-earing pages? Awww, c'mon...cute little :dog: ears! ;)

You're on Goodreads? I discovered it in January and love it. http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4787524-nathan

Matryeshka
06-06-2011, 06:27 AM
Finished Catching Fire this afternoon - and the way it ended? No way I can just pretend the 3rd one doesn't exist :shuffle:

Oh but you can. Just read some fan fic, you'll be fine. :P

I'm about 100 pages from finishing A Feast of Crows. I've got Bossypants by Tina Fey on deck. After finishing George R. R. Martin, I deserve a Tina Fey, possibly several books that conain the phrase "heaving bosoms", and definitely something with a vampire. Note to self: epic high fantasy is NOT light summer reading.

Spinner
06-06-2011, 06:39 AM
After finishing George R. R. Martin, I deserve a Tina Fey, possibly several books that conain the phrase "heaving bosoms", and definitely something with a vampire.

Check out Sarah Jane Stratford's The Midnight Guardian (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-midnight-guardian-sarah-jane-stratford/1016227873?ean=9780312611385&itm=3&usri=midnight%2bguardian). Not a whole lot of heaving bosoms (though main character Brigit has some hot moments with lover Eamon), but other than that it's the recipe you ordered. ;) This is the first in a trilogy, the 2nd one due out this August. That's my review at the bottom of the page. :)

JamieSix
06-06-2011, 08:05 AM
I just finished "The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud." Mind you, I saw a commercial for the movie first before finding out it was a book. I read the book but haven't seen the movie yet. Don't think I want to.

Right now, I'm starting up on "Snow Falling on Cedars." I heard this is pretty good. ^^

rfisher
06-06-2011, 11:34 AM

When you come back all :mad: just remember you were warned.

jen_faith
06-06-2011, 11:43 AM
I'm about 100 pages from finishing A Feast of Crows. I've got Bossypants by Tina Fey on deck. After finishing George R. R. Martin, I deserve a Tina Fey, possibly several books that conain the phrase "heaving bosoms", and definitely something with a vampire. Note to self: epic high fantasy is NOT light summer reading.

No kidding. At least not Martin's version of fantasy. I like the books but frequently have to refer to the wiki just to keep all the secondary characters straight. Still, I am sure I will read book 5 due out in July even if it is sure to be another fest of gloom and doom. How much worse can things get for these characters?

Am currently reading Will Thomas' Black Hand. It's the 4th or 5th book in a series. It's kind of a Sherlock Holmes rip-off but it's still a good one. Also enjoyable is a lighter (but not too frothy) urban fantasy series by Ben Aaronovitch set in London. The first book is Midnight Riot (Rivers of London in the UK). Both these make good summer reading butthe Will Thomas series has no vampires or heaving bosoms.