PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 67

dinakt
05-23-2011, 02:07 AM
I'm starting Tom Perrotta's The Abstinence Teacher. It's very engaging so far.

I read it earlier this year and absolutely loved it. Was quite sad when the book was over ( because I'd have liked it to go on, not becasue it is sad).

modern_muslimah
05-23-2011, 03:56 PM
I finished Lyrics Alley. I liked it but didn't love it. I think it was the fatalism that was so prevalent throughout the novel that made me not like it as much as Minaret. The only character who seemed to rise above it was Nur, which seems ironic since he is paralyzed from the neck down and everyone thinks he is useless. He was the only character who seemed to actually fulfill his promise.

I'm now reading The House of Bilqis by Azhar Abidi. I just started this morning. So I've only read the first chapter. I haven't really formed an opinion yet but I'm looking forward to reading more.

oleada
05-24-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm on such a YA kick this year. I love YA; it's so fun and enjoyable and such a nice break after academic reading all year. I finished Bossypants (not YA but just so funny and such a nice break), and I'm reading Will Grayson, Will Grayson (which I'm loving) and If I Stay is on my Nook to read next. I'm also considering Stolen by Lucy Christopher because it seemed interesting - anyone read or heard anything about that?

Artemis@BC
05-26-2011, 10:19 PM
I'm in the queue for Bossypants, but it will be a few weeks before it comes through.

I'm almost finished The Stupidest Angel, by Christopher Moore. After falling in love with his twisted humour in Lamb, I've been trying to find another of his books that would come close -- and being somewhat disappointed. This one might be the one, though.

While I was on holidays last week I read 2 of the books that came free with my Kobo: The Jungle Book and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

rfisher
05-26-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm in the queue for Bossypants, but it will be a few weeks before it comes through.

I'm almost finished The Stupidest Angel, by Christopher Moore. After falling in love with his twisted humour in Lamb, I've been trying to find another of his books that would come close -- and being somewhat disappointed. This one might be the one, though.

Have you read the Love Bites trilogy? Or Island of the Sequined Love Nun?

Artemis@BC
05-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Have you read the Love Bites trilogy? Or Island of the Sequined Love Nun?

^ I've read Bloodsucking Fiends, and Island of the Sequined Love Nun. I have enjoyed all of his other books that I've read, just none were as ROFLPIMP as Lamb.

I think my 2nd favouritest so far (not counting Angel since I haven't finished it) was Coyote Blue.

rfisher
05-26-2011, 11:01 PM
I have a signed copy of Coyote Blue. :) I met him at the marine mammal conference when he was doing research for Fluke.

Spinner
05-27-2011, 02:44 AM
I picked up Queen of Kings (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Queen-of-Kings/Maria-Dahvana-Headley/e/9780525952176/?itm=1&USRI=queen+of+kings) by Maria Dahvana Headley. She's taken Egyptian mythology and written a novel involving Cleopatra and the gods. Cleopatra wants to resurrect Antony after he kills himself and calls on the goddess of death and destruction to help her accomplish this. She'll help, but only if Cleopatra will allow the goddess to possess her body--and turn her into a super-human shapeshifting lustful immortal with vampiric tendencies! It'll either be a wild ride or a real dud. ;)

genevieve
05-27-2011, 03:45 AM
I just finished The Help - it was a bit rosier than is realistic, but what a compelling read.

At this rate I will be finished with all my summer reading by mid-June.

Nomad
05-27-2011, 04:06 AM
Just finished the third and final volume of The Little Ottleys by Ada Leverson, who was a close friend of Oscar Wilde. The second and third volumes were particularly good, focusing on what happens to a marriage when one partner grows and matures while the other does not. A witty look at life and love among the upper middle classes in Edwardian London.

Taso
05-27-2011, 04:13 AM
Just finished The Summer We Fell Apart by Robin Antalek. Very good, heartbreaking story anyone with siblings could relate to, and a very fast read.

Prancer
05-27-2011, 09:07 AM
The Kate Atkinson is going really well.

I decided to give her a try, since you like her so much, but I haven't been able to get into One Good Turn, really. I don't think it's the book; I think I have too much grading to do rihgt now and I feel guilty when I read for fun because I know I should have my nose planted on the grindstone.

Have you read One Good Turn? Should I be getting into it?

Nomad
05-28-2011, 02:48 PM
I got my amazon.com marketplace order yesterday. Sort of. They sent me My Cousin Rachel instead of Mary Anne. I guess I'll keep it since the copy I already have is a German translation, but that's rather annoying. So now I'm reading Death Comes for the Archbishop while I wait for my reorder of Mary Anne.

IceAlisa
05-28-2011, 05:06 PM
I decided to give her a try, since you like her so much, but I haven't been able to get into One Good Turn, really. I don't think it's the book; I think I have too much grading to do rihgt now and I feel guilty when I read for fun because I know I should have my nose planted on the grindstone.

Have you read One Good Turn? Should I be getting into it?

I started with Case Histories since it's the first in the series. Have you read this one? I think you'll be able to figure out whodunnit early on but that's not the point. One Good Turn is the book I remember least. My favorites are Case Histories and When Will There Be Good News.

IIRC, I liked One Good Turn although less than the other two. But I did like it.

Now I am almost done with Started Early Took My Dog and am finding it a bit hard to keep up with all the characters and their connections. Nothing much happens in the book except trips down the memory lane, meanderings of Jackson Brodie and a few other characters. However, I am finding it an easy and fun read because the writing is rather good. She makes it even more obvious whodunnit a little too early for my taste. Overall, 3.5/5 stars I'd say, for a summer read which is great. Stars taken off for the more than usually obvious whodunnit. I think it's a bit more flawed than her previous efforts. I do hope she continues with the series though.

oleada
05-28-2011, 05:11 PM
It was my last day at my internship yesterday and my boss gave me a $25 B&N gift card! :cheer2: