PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

rjblue
05-21-2011, 10:47 AM
No, it's the paperback. You can buy the hardcover, the audio CD, or the ebook right now. (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Way-of-Kings/Brandon-Sanderson/e/9780765326355?afsrc=1&itm=1&r=1&z=y) It was released last year, with a lot of fanfare on the Tor website, which I was frequenting a lot, because I'm reading along with a Wheel of Time re-read blog.

He's also soon going to have the 4th book in his Mistborn series published. He seems to be a lot easier author than Jordan or Martin to follow. Not too much waiting between books.

eta- I used the words "a lot" a lot of times in this post. I'm now picturing a lot of Alots.

Nomad
05-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Even though I swore up and down I would never, ever, ever, never read epic fantasy again, especially a series that is:

Not finished
Overly complicated
Features men dominating and women and horses that are scared
The author is older AND takes forever to write
Kills people I like...just cause

I made that vow when The Wheel of Time went from three volumes to five to seven to twelve to forget about about it, life's just too damned short. I'll admit I'm tempted by Martin, but I won't start the series unless he actually finishes it.

I've noticed that a lot of Daphne du Maurier's books have been reissued, so I think I'll read her next. I'd read German translations of Rebecca and My Cousin Rachel as a teen (the closest town didn't even have a bookstore, let alone books in English, there were two spin-racks at the stationer's and that was it) so I like to read some of her work in the original.

The Bell turned out to be okay, which was quite a feat on Murdoch's part in view of the fact that her stylistic affectations annoyed the hell out of me, that she didn't seem to like her characters any better than I did, and that novels in which religion plays a big part generally don't appeal to me. So she struck out with Under the Net and got a walk with The Bell.

oleada
05-21-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm reading Bossypants. It's hilarious!

Now that the semester is over, I need stuff that is completely mindless and will rot my brain.

Wyliefan
05-21-2011, 03:46 PM
I've noticed that a lot of Daphne du Maurier's books have been reissued, so I think I'll read her next.

Have they? Interesting. I bought a few of her books in new, or new-ish, editions when I was in the U.K. a few years ago ("Don't Look Now" majorly freaked me out), but in general, a lot of her work seems to be pretty hard to find. I did recently get an old copy of The Glass-Blowers at a used bookstore, though -- dug it out of the depths of their basement. :)

PDilemma
05-21-2011, 04:07 PM
I'm reading Bossypants. It's hilarious!

Now that the semester is over, I need stuff that is completely mindless and will rot my brain.

This is exactly the state I am in! I checked out a serious novel, read two pages and took it back. :lol:

IceAlisa
05-21-2011, 05:44 PM
I've read Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca. What else do you recommend, Nomad and Wyliefan (and others?). Oh and I am pretty sure I've read The House On The Strand but can't recall a single detail. :shuffle:

Nomad
05-21-2011, 07:44 PM
The only other du Maurier I've read was Jamaica Inn, which I didn't particularly care for. A friend of mine keeps telling me I should read Frenchman's Creek, but this is the same friend who swore I'd love The Red Tent. :shuffle: 15-year-old Nomad loved My Cousin Rachel.

modern_muslimah
05-21-2011, 08:31 PM
This is exactly the state I am in! I checked out a serious novel, read two pages and took it back. :lol:

I was in a similar state for a while. I just couldn't read any more cerebral fiction. My brain went on fluff overload. The binge was great! My husband thought it was weird though (he only reads non-fiction so it figures). I realized it ended when I started to read a romance novel on my nook and I stopped a few pages in. My brain was weirdly craving serious novels again. :shuffle: So now I have a bunch of serious books checked out from the library.

Wyliefan
05-21-2011, 09:38 PM
I've read Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca. What else do you recommend, Nomad and Wyliefan (and others?). Oh and I am pretty sure I've read The House On The Strand but can't recall a single detail. :shuffle:

My Cousin Rachel is pretty good. Sad . . . but then this is du Maurier, so that's not entirely unexpected. :) The other book I got by her was short stories: "The Birds," "The Apple Tree," "Don't Look Now," and others. And then, as I mentioned, I have The Glass-Blowers, but I haven't read it yet.

Du Maurier's world isn't one I can live in for very long -- too nerve-racking -- but it's an interesting place to visit!

Nomad
05-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Rats. None of the local libraries has anything by du Maurier other than Rebecca. So, I have Mary Anne on order. It's based on the life of du Maurier's great-great grandmother, who was mistress to the Duke of York, brother of George IV. It will be interesting to see du Maurier's take on her rather notorious ancestor.

IceAlisa
05-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Thanks. I think I will stick to my mindless summer reading schedule for now. The Kate Atkinson is going really well. After that I need more of the same. So Du Maurier, Henrietta Lacks and The Emperor of All Maladies will have to wait until I am in the mood for that again.

zaphyre14
05-21-2011, 10:54 PM
Lymond Chronicles - one of the best series ever written.

Well, I could use translations of all the foreign-language phrases and quotes being tossed around like lettuce leaves at salad bar in "The Game of Kings.". But the characters are interesting and I can't fault the plotting. The back-cover blurb gave away a major plot point, though, so I think I may be missing some of the suspence. I am past my previous quitting place now, at least.

The only good thing about all the truly-trashy novels I read during my brainless-reading-blitz is that I have a bunch of fairly popular books to swap on the trading site so I can get better ones.

emason
05-22-2011, 12:23 AM
Well, I could use translations of all the foreign-language phrases and quotes being tossed around like lettuce leaves at salad bar in "The Game of Kings.". But the characters are interesting and I can't fault the plotting. The back-cover blurb gave away a major plot point, though, so I think I may be missing some of the suspence. I am past my previous quitting place now, at least.

Yes, well, I could have used some translation help myself but it is still a gem of a series. Don't worry about the suspense; there is more than enough of it to go around in the six books and each book has at least one amazing setpiece. I loved the rooftop scramble in the second book.

Japanfan
05-22-2011, 06:43 AM
No, it's the paperback. You can buy the hardcover, the audio CD, or the ebook right now. (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Way-of-Kings/Brandon-Sanderson/e/9780765326355?afsrc=1&itm=1&r=1&z=y) It was released last year, with a lot of fanfare on the Tor website, which I was frequenting a lot, because I'm reading along with a Wheel of Time re-read blog.

So I guess Amazon isn't promoting the hard-cover right now because it can get more money for the new paperback.

He's also soon going to have the 4th book in his Mistborn series published. He seems to be a lot easier author than Jordan or Martin to follow. Not too much waiting between books.

That's because he wrote a lot of books before he finally got published. Warbreaker, The Mistborn series (don't know how much of it, a fourth is being published this fall), Elantris, and others. Sanderson worked the night shift as a front desk clerk at a hotel for many years because the position allowed him to write. He had a hell of a time publishing and was told his books were too long for a new fantasy author, so he even wrote some shorter works.

So far I as I know he is currently focusing on the next and final Jordon installment. The Way of Kings was probably a work in progress before Sanderson landed the Jordon deal.

VIETgrlTerifa
05-22-2011, 09:03 PM
I'm starting Tom Perrotta's The Abstinence Teacher. It's very engaging so far.