PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

emason
12-31-2010, 01:41 AM
"Dutifully plodded"? :) Personally I think Russian lit is one of the greatest in the world. Translation is always going to be a problem, especially with languages so different as Russian and English. "The Master and Margarita" by Bulgakov will probably always be one of my favorite novels. There are parts of it I don't like, but the parts I like are out of this world. If someone's interested in reading it, here's (http://cr.middlebury.edu/public/russian/bulgakov/public_html/Engeditions.html) a little info on English translations.

TMaM - one of the great under-appreciated novels of all time. Do you have a favorite translation that you prefer?

Southpaw
12-31-2010, 02:41 AM
I've never read more than 10 pages of Harry Potter because I only got that far when I tossed it, saying that I'd rather read THE MASTER AND MARGARITA with its Soviet magic tricks than that.....that.....book.

Is there a talking cat at the beginning of Harry Potter? Is that what made me think of TMaM? I can't remember now.

vesperholly
12-31-2010, 02:48 AM
I would read it again over anything by Wharton or freakin' Thomas Hardy.

Oh, I liked Tess of the D'Urbervilles and The Age of Innocence (especially the Daniel Day-Lewis movie). I wanted to reach into The House of Mirth and smack Lily Bart for being such a ninny, however.

Wyliefan
12-31-2010, 02:51 AM
:D I got an e-mail newsletter from AbeBooks today with the subject line "Depressing Russian Literature." I'm not kidding, that's what it said!! See, even the professional booksellers are with me on this one!

I will say, though, that I read some of Chekhov's plays a year or two back and enjoyed them very much. Of all the Russian authors I've read, I found his style the most appealing. (Ironically, one of the things I most object to in Russian novels is a certain stagy quality, but in those plays I didn't see much of that at all!)

But on the whole, I prefer the Brits.

I wanted to reach into The House of Mirth and smack Lily Bart for being such a ninny, however.

I know, she really is exasperating, but I still love her. She holds onto her integrity so firmly -- and often against her own will -- but she always manages to do it in a way that brings disaster down on her head, poor woman. It's one of the few books I've read where I wanted to beg someone to compromise her principles just a little! It's so horribly frustrating to watch all the rest of them practically getting away with murder, while she has to suffer so much for being ethical.

WindSpirit
12-31-2010, 03:26 AM
TMaM - one of the great under-appreciated novels of all time. Do you have a favorite translation that you prefer? I've never read an English translation of it. But going by the link I posted in my previous post, I'd avoid anything translated before 1995.

Is there a talking cat at the beginning of Harry Potter? Is that what made me think of TMaM? I can't remember now. I don't know, I've never read Harry Potter. I'm sure I would have loved it as a child, but now not so much. As for The Master and Margarita, the talking cat was great, but one of my favorite parts was when the devil first appeared -- ever so nonchalantly. :lol:

But what you said reminded me of another book I read years ago. The Land of Laughs by Jonathan Carroll. It's was the first ever book I read by Carroll, and it's the "straightest" book of his, so to speak, so when the dog suddenly spoke the hairs on my neck stood up and I looked up to make an eye contact with my roommate.

:D I got an e-mail newsletter from AbeBooks today with the subject line "Depressing Russian Literature." I'm not kidding, that's what it said!! See, even the professional booksellers are with me on this one! Well, saying "depressing Russian Literature" is like saying "general Russian Literature". :lol: Isn't most great literature depressing anyway?

Wyliefan
12-31-2010, 04:09 AM
Well, saying "depressing Russian Literature" is like saying "general Russian Literature". :lol: Isn't most great literature depressing anyway?

Mmm, now there's a worthy challenge: Come up with examples of non-depressing great literature! Let's see . . .

Pride and Prejudice
Northanger Abbey
The Importance of Being Earnest
The Pickwick Papers
Anything by P. G. Wodehouse
The Canterbury Tales
Paradiso
Love's Labor's Lost
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Tom Sawyer
Anne of Green Gables
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

(In no particular order, obviously.)

Can anyone else think of any?

Southpaw
12-31-2010, 04:23 AM
Can anyone else think of any?

Crime and Punishment
As I Lay Dying
The Cider House Rules
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
A Confederacy of Dunces

;)

Allen
12-31-2010, 04:25 AM
The oeuvre of Toni Morrison :rofl:

Spinner
12-31-2010, 04:34 AM
Mmm, now there's a worthy challenge: Come up with examples of non-depressing great literature! Let's see . . .

Northanger Abbey
I just picked this up on a friend's recommendation as her fave Austen. Looking forward to it!

made_in_canada
12-31-2010, 04:39 AM
So I recently joined a book club (super non-pretentious) and I need to choose a book. Any suggestions? They've had a lot of kinda depressing books lately and I'd like to pick something that's a bit more uplifting. Suggestions anyone?

Allen
12-31-2010, 04:48 AM
So I recently joined a book club (super non-pretentious) and I need to choose a book. Any suggestions? They've had a lot of kinda depressing books lately and I'd like to pick something that's a bit more uplifting. Suggestions anyone?

What about The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (http://www.amazon.com/Immortal-Life-Henrietta-Lacks/dp/1400052173/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293770663&sr=8-1)? It is nonfiction, so I don't know if that would work for your group, but it's one of my favorite books of the last five years. If you want something totally fictional, how about Jennifer Egan's A Visit from the Goon Squa (http://www.amazon.com/Visit-Goon-Squad-Jennifer-Egan/dp/0307592839/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1293770747&sr=1-1)d or Paul Murray's Skippy D (http://www.amazon.com/Visit-Goon-Squad-Jennifer-Egan/dp/0307592839/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1293770747&sr=1-1)ies?

Spinner
12-31-2010, 05:09 AM

I'd suggest Isabel Wilkerson's The Warmth of Other Suns (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Warmth-of-Other-Suns/Isabel-Wilkerson/e/9780679444329/?itm=1&USRI=warmth+of+other+suns). Stunning, brilliantly written story of the untold migration of African-Americans out of the south from around 1920s through the civil rights struggle of the 60s, 70s and present day. It was just picked by the New York Times as one of the 10 best books of the year. Also, in the link you can watch a brief interview with Wilkerson about the book.

oleada
12-31-2010, 05:14 AM
I'd suggest Isabel Wilkerson's The Warmth of Other Suns (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Warmth-of-Other-Suns/Isabel-Wilkerson/e/9780679444329/?itm=1&USRI=warmth+of+other+suns). Stunning, brilliantly written story of the untold migration of African-Americans out of the south from around 1920s through the civil rights struggle of the 60s, 70s and present day. It was just picked by the New York Times as one of the 10 best books of the year. Also, in the link you can watch a brief interview with Wilkerson about the book.

I'm reading this right now and it's very good. It's a relatively easy read, not dry at all.

Michalle
12-31-2010, 05:24 AM
I thought The Unbearable Lightness of Being got very depressing, but I could be remembering incorrectly.

ETA: Duh, I missed the smilie face indicating sarcasm somehow. Oops.

Wyliefan
12-31-2010, 05:25 AM
Crime and Punishment
As I Lay Dying
The Cider House Rules
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
A Confederacy of Dunces

;)

I meant books that were non-depressing in general, not non-depressing for sadists. :P

(Oh my WORD, As I Lay Dying. :scream: One of the worst experiences of my college years. And our professor was a Faulkner fanatic, so we had to listen to this normally mild-mannered little guy rave on and on about the wonderfulness of this incomprehensible piece of weirdness.)