PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

rfisher
05-20-2011, 02:12 AM
Finished Charlaine Harris' latest Sookie Stackhouse (which has been discussed in the True Blood thread by many). Just started on Nevada Barr's Burn. I swore I wasn't reading any more of hers because I don't like what she's done to Anna, but I had a coupon. The stack in the floor is the Ice Princess by Camilla Lackberg, Sprial by Paul McEuen, Gideon's Sword by Preston and Child (a poor substitue for Pendergast), Killer of Orchids by Ralph Ashworth and Lover Unleashed by JR Ward.

I was deceived by the mystery sticker on the audio book from the library. Malibu Nights by Elizabeth Adler is chick lit lite with holes in the plot big enough for a blue whale to do a quad toe. I'm enjoying yelling at the speakers on my drive to and from work.

Grannyfan
05-20-2011, 02:32 AM
Recently read the third Flavia deLuce mystery, which I loved. Then finished A Reliable Wife, by Robert Goolrick. I don't think I've ever read a book with so much sex--doing it, thinking about it, remembering it, looking forward to it, regretting it, etc. And misery. Lots of misery. Still, the characters were compelling and I really was interested in what happened to them when they weren't having sex. I've just started Erik Larson's new book, In the Garden of Beasts. I've loved all his other books and hope this one is as good.

Matryeshka
05-20-2011, 03:00 AM
Even though I swore up and down I would never, ever, ever, never read epic fantasy again, especially a series that is:

Not finished
Overly complicated
Features men dominating and women and horses that are scared
The author is older AND takes forever to write
Kills people I like...just cause

So explain to me WHY I am knee-deep into book two of the A Song of Fire and Ice series? I blame Hedwig. She should know better. I'm weak. If I'm not falling into temptation, I'm looking for it. An HBO series based on a book featuring whoremongering dwarves? I fell. :fragile:

It's so gooood though. I've drunk the epic fantasy koolaid once again. Though I'm seriously wondering if the author has a serious thing for his sister. There's a lot of incestuousness going around Westoros.

Kasey
05-20-2011, 03:13 AM
Getting back into fiction, have two I'm tag teaming right now. Have been working on The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime (http://www.amazon.com/Curious-Incident-Dog-Night-Time/dp/1400032717) by Mark Haddon while relaxing in the tub. It's kind of hard to keep with it at times, because it is written from the point of view of an autistic kid; but very illuminating in terms of how some of their thought process may work, in terms of OCD behavior, lacking social skills, etc. And last night, started Vaclav and Lena (http://www.amazon.com/Vaclav-Lena-Novel-Haley-Tanner/dp/1400069319) by Haley Tanner. So far it's very engaging, the characters are well depicted, and I'm just getting to the point of the novel jumping ahead 5-6 years from the two main characters being little kids, into late teen/young adult age. There is some kind of dark mystery involved that I haven't gotten to yet, but am looking forward to it. I really like the writer's voice in this one.

PrincessLeppard
05-20-2011, 03:14 AM
I love the Mark Haddon book. I used it when I taught British Literature. It's a nice shake up for the kids from, for example, Beowulf. :)

Kasey
05-20-2011, 03:17 AM
I'm enjoying it. And I keep looking forward to what chapter number the next one is going to be :)

dinakt
05-20-2011, 06:39 AM
Even though I swore up and down I would never, ever, ever, never read epic fantasy again, especially a series that is:

Not finished
Overly complicated

So explain to me WHY I am knee-deep into book two of the A Song of Fire and Ice series? I blame Hedwig. She should know better. I'm weak. If I'm not falling into temptation, I'm looking for it. An HBO series based on a book featuring whoremongering dwarves? I fell. :fragile:

It's so gooood though. I've drunk the epic fantasy koolaid once again. Though I'm seriously wondering if the author has a serious thing for his sister. There's a lot of incestuousness going around Westoros.

You and me both. I am starting Book 4 and am utterly addicted. To the point that I am recommending it to my husband, who does not like fantasy. It's a pleasure to read a fantasy book and know that the author clearly has brains and vision. But the waiting after Book 5 will be wickedly hard.

Japanfan
05-20-2011, 06:41 AM

Not finished
Overly complicated

It's so gooood though. I've drunk the epic fantasy koolaid once again.

As you say, the books are so good. I couldn't stop once I had started. It is only know that I'm several years away from them that I'm able to summon the discipline to refrain from buying the next installment.

But the first book was actually published a year ago. It's on my Amazon wish list. The Way of Kings

According to Amazon, 'The Way of Kings' (Stormlight Archive) will be released on May 24, 2011.

modern_muslimah
05-20-2011, 03:07 PM
I thought I would love The Red Tent too, but I didn't, although like you I liked the concept. While I was able to get through it- it was just too "women's fictiony" for my taste. I donated my copy as well.

Perhaps this is a common reaction to The Red Tent because it exactly mirrors my reaction. I donated my copy as well. I just couldn't get through it even though I thought the concept was really good.

I'm currently a quarter way through Lyrics Alley by Leila Aboulela. I really like it and it's an engaging read but so far I don't like it as much as her previous novel, Minaret. Maybe it's because her latest novel reads more like a family epic (which I'm not generally a fan of). The author will spend a chapter on a characters that I like and whose stories I find engaging and then the next chapter will go back to a character(s) that I almost wish she would kill off or never created. Minaret just focused primarily on one character and the people she interacted. No jumping back and forth between stories.

IceAlisa
05-20-2011, 07:35 PM
Broke down and got a copy of Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson. I just love her narrative style. She may not be describing a lot of action for a murder mystery novel but her characters are just so well-written, so human and three-dimensional.

I was saving this for the summer vacation read but couldn't resist. I hope the Jackson Brodie series never end!

Now I have to figure out what I am going to read at the beach.

zaphyre14
05-20-2011, 07:43 PM
I started Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles for the umpteenth time last night. After an overdose of Super-fluffy Regenicies and Historical Romances, I think I'm ready for something with a little more meat to it. Plus I found the first two volumes in a box of books I'd forgotten I had and I can't bring myself to get rid of them without giving them One More Chance.

I was also given the whole "The Girl Who..." trilogy last week so I should haveenough to keep me going for a while.

emason
05-20-2011, 08:24 PM
I started Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles for the umpteenth time last night. After an overdose of Super-fluffy Regenicies and Historical Romances, I think I'm ready for something with a little more meat to it. Plus I found the first two volumes in a box of books I'd forgotten I had and I can't bring myself to get rid of them without giving them One More Chance.

I was also given the whole "The Girl Who..." trilogy last week so I should haveenough to keep me going for a while.

Lymond Chronicles - one of the best series ever written.

PDilemma
05-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Just finished Tina Fey's Bossypants. Very funny. I'm a bit shocked our little library had it, though!

rjblue
05-21-2011, 03:10 AM
According to Amazon, 'The Way of Kings' (Stormlight Archive) will be released on May 24, 2011.That is the paperback edition. The people on sffworld.com all have it on their best book of the year lists. It's supposed to be a ten book series though, so I've decided to wait a bit to read it.

I just finished Wonder by Robert J. Sawyer- the third book of his Wake, Watch, Wonder trilogy, and I found it a bit of a letdown. The first two books were a great setup but the third really fizzled. Apparently he was too busy with FlashForward to give it proper attention. He should have waited. I liked his Neanderthal Parallax series better. Hominids won the Hugo- deservedly, in my opinion, but it is interesting reading the Amazon reviews. People seem to either love it or hate it.

Japanfan
05-21-2011, 10:02 AM
That is the paperback edition. The people on sffworld.com all have it on their best book of the year lists. It's supposed to be a ten book series though, so I've decided to wait a bit to read it.

No, it's the hardcover. It's released on May 24 and there are no copies for sale at present, you can only pre-order.

It appears that a liberal number of advance copies were released, however, as there are reviews on Amazon (from people who note they read an advanced copy) as well as on the site you mentioned.