PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

jen_faith
05-08-2011, 03:36 AM
Just finished the latest Sookie Stackhouse as well. Agree with all of the above--better than the immediate previous books but a bit all over the place. Had to roll my eyes in some places like when Sookie needed an ice pack for her lady bits because doing the deed with Eric was just sooooo well viking-ishly vigourous. Also can't believe she introduced yet another type of supernatural being into the story (elves). Makes me wonder if there are any plain old humans left in the Sookieverse.

Nomad
05-08-2011, 06:30 AM
The Red Tent is now in the donation box. I liked the idea of it, but the actual book did nothing for me. My reading group has chosen The Bell by Iris Murdoch, so I suppose I'll give that a try. I wasn't bowled over by her first novel, Under the Net, which inexplicably (to me, anyway) made it onto the 100 Best Novels in English list, but we'll see.

IceAlisa
05-08-2011, 07:17 AM
I liked An Unofficial Rose by Iris Murdoch.

I seem to recall that there is a young adult lit fan among us, non? If so and said person is also a fan of snark--and how can they not be--they may be interested in the upcoming book Spoiled (http://www.amazon.com/Spoiled-Heather-Cocks/dp/0316098256/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I284GX4Y5ZJU24&colid=3K3O6BEKCNJPU) by Heather and Jessica of the Go Fug Yourself fame.

I read the blog every once an a while and will definitely check out the book.

Nomad
05-08-2011, 07:34 AM
Just to clarify, I didn't hate Under the Net, I was just disappointed by it. I was expecting something great and got something okay-for-the-most-part instead. If The Bell is good, I'll be satisfied with that. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece.

IceAlisa
05-08-2011, 07:48 AM
Iris Murdoch can be completely unreadable too.

Nomad
05-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Iris Murdoch can be completely unreadable too.

That reminds me of a movie? PBS series? where the male protagonist read Iris Murdoch novels aloud to his girlfriend as foreplay. Until she got sick of the charade and screamed "I HATE IRIS MURDOCH!"

cygnus
05-08-2011, 10:35 PM
The Red Tent is now in the donation box. I liked the idea of it, but the actual book did nothing for me. My reading group has chosen The Bell by Iris Murdoch, so I suppose I'll give that a try. I wasn't bowled over by her first novel, Under the Net, which inexplicably (to me, anyway) made it onto the 100 Best Novels in English list, but we'll see.

I thought I would love The Red Tent too, but I didn't, although like you I liked the concept. While I was able to get through it- it was just too "women's fictiony" for my taste. I donated my copy as well.

emason
05-08-2011, 11:21 PM
I thought I would love The Red Tent too, but I didn't, although like you I liked the concept. While I was able to get through it- it was just too "women's fictiony" for my taste. I donated my copy as well.

I still have my copy (somewhere), but I stopped reading halfway through. I just couldn't get into it. I think "women's fictiony" just about sums it up.

Meanwhile, it's back to Barchester Towers for me. For total contrast I am alternating that with a reread of A Clash of Kings.

Allen
05-08-2011, 11:24 PM
I had a college professor who insisted the only correct interpretation of the poem was HIS interpretation. So since then, I've been....not that guy. :P

That was my AP Lit teacher in high school. I would come up with these interesting interpretations of poems and she would always say that wasn't what it meant. So, for the longest time, I thought poetry had one meaning and I had to try to figure it out. I finally changed my mind during a Victorian poetry class with an amazing professor. She loved my wacky ideas and it made me end up loving poetry.

Japanfan
05-09-2011, 01:50 AM
I just discovered the fantasies of Brandon Sanderson, who has taken over the final three books of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. There are five, 'Elantris' (his first), the Mistborn trilogy, and 'Warbreaker'. I enjoyed them all immensely, particularly the Mistborn trilogy.

Sanderson is a wonderful storyteller. His fantasy is very original - rare to find in a new author - and explores themes of divinity and governance. The Mistborn series is brilliant and definitely is one I'll want to reread again. It keeps you guessing all the way and turns fantasy conventions on their head.

My only complaint is that the worlds aren't fully realized, which is more of an issue for 'Elantris' and 'Warbreaker'. After visiting Sanderson's website I realized that this is because he had such a hard time publishing. All of these books and more were pretty much written before he published them. 'Mistborn' is the most fully realized and I'm delighted to see that he is continuing the series with another coming out later this year.

Plus, the first book of his own epoch series is being published in May. The final book of the Wheel of Time series should be out within a year as well. Sanderson is incredibly prolific.

rjblue
05-09-2011, 02:23 AM
I bought Wake by Robert J. Sawyer yesterday afternoon. I finished it shortly after noon and went out and bought book 2- Watch. I'll probably be calling my husband to stop at the bookstore tomorrow and by the newly released final book in the series -Wonder. I've been finding it an easy and engrossing read. Sawyers prose is the hard SF type, that doesn't really allow you to notice his writing, because you are wizzing through the pages following the story.

It also has some great Canadian jokes in it. Like, "How do you find a Canadian in a crowded room? Start stepping on people's feet and wait for someone to apologize to you."

I just discovered the fantasies of Brandon Sanderson, ....
...Plus, the first book of his own epoch series is being published in May. The final book of the Wheel of Time series should be out within a year as well. Sanderson is incredibly prolific.I've been reading rave reviews for his new series. Many readers on SFWorld think it's going to be one of the best ever. But the first book was actually published a year ago. It's on my Amazon wish list. The Way of Kings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Way_of_Kings)

Nomad
05-10-2011, 07:10 AM

Kudos to you for making it to the end. I now follow what I call "The Red Tent Rule" when it comes to books friends "know you'll love." Get it from the library first, buy it only if you love it afterwards. Sounds pretty basic, I know, but I am a shameless book-whore, no excuse is too flimsy to add to the collection. Not very impressed by The Bell so far. Am I alone in thinking that Iris Murdoch was something of a misogynist?

Artemis@BC
05-10-2011, 09:21 PM

For me the problem wasn't "women's fictiony" -- although I do know what you mean -- but rather a good concept without a clear I idea of where to take it. I've seen that time and time again in all types of lit. I really liked the first half of the book, but once they left the "tent" things started to go downfill fast.

genevieve
05-20-2011, 01:48 AM
whee, I bought a bunch of summer reading books last night :cool:

I finally got the Hunger Games, so when the movie comes out I can bitch about how wrong it is along with everyone else :P. I read the first section, and I'd describe it as (The Handmaid's Tale minus the icky sex slavery) x The Lottery + (Twilight minus the vampires and whining) Good stuff!

Also bought The Help, Going Bovine by Libba Bray (loved her Gemma Doyle series!), and a mystery about sisters who were kidnapped as kids and someone shows up years later claiming to be one of them. I can't remember the name but it looked promising. Very excited to be reading again! :cheer2:

And I still haven't read Chronic City

IceAlisa
05-20-2011, 01:53 AM
Inspired by recent events and a low price for a used copy, I got Inside the Kingdom (http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Kingdom-Life-Saudi-Arabia/dp/0446694886/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305852882&sr=1-1) by Carmen Bin Ladin, you-know-who's SIL.

An absorbing read but made me sad and also made me think less of one of my favorite books, The Handmaid's Tale. Atwood didn't have to invent the Republic of Gilead, it already exists, except it's worse.