PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

rfisher
05-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Errr...I'd be scared to see what would come up if you googled an exciting electronic gizmo. :shuffle:

I'm reading the new Sookie Stackhouse. I'm quietly optimistic about it so far--about halfway through. There's not quite a plot--exactly--yet, but there a helluva lot of subplots that could all make great main plots, but so far it's a bit muddled.

What I don't like thus far: The return of Sandra Pelt. Can we PLEASE just let the Pelt family die? Are we really going to kill every Pelt? Can't she just have gone away? Seriously, you don't always have to tie up every single end. Also, it seems to me like there's a major push to Sookie/Sam in the future. BLAH. I'd rather BILL than Sam. :blah: Also, more fairie crap. That story line needs to die too. Apparantly, she's becoming mroe fairie. To be fair, I like Harris's general ideas about the fae and the way she uses mythology and folklore + her own twists. But I think she's overly taken with that idea, and I really wish she'd have a separate series/urban fantasy setting dealing with the fae. Sookie's world is being overrun to the point where you're wondering where the hell the humans are.

I knew it. I called the ending when I read the first book.

Prancer
05-06-2011, 03:49 PM
This is the crap I get. A lot. :P

I get the same sort of crap in Intro to Lit. But that doesn't have a lot to do with making an argument counter to a teacher's take on a particular work and still getting a good grade. I was just surprised that people seem surprised that this happened; that's why I asked if it was unusual.

I have heard students say that they have taken hits for disagreeing with teachers, and I hesitate to just write that off as student whining, because there are teachers who do such things. But I've always had the impression that most of us are just happy to see someone say something more than "It was a really good book and I liked it a lot," even if it's "Your beloved favorite sucks mightily and here are five relatively thoughtful reasons I think so."

Nomad
05-06-2011, 05:01 PM
I loved that book. :shuffle:

Me too. I read it when I was 17 and immediately went out and bought all his other books when I was done with it. I don't get the hate...Hotel du Lac was excellent (finished it this morning), a leisurely but very satisfying read. Slightly odd, in that it felt like it was set in 1954 rather than 1984 but that's a very minor quibble. I am now trying to read The Red Tent but not liking it much. The friend who recommended it to me owes me $6.00 for insisting that I buy it.

PrincessLeppard
05-06-2011, 05:50 PM
I have heard students say that they have taken hits for disagreeing with teachers, and I hesitate to just write that off as student whining, because there are teachers who do such things. But I've always had the impression that most of us are just happy to see someone say something more than "It was a really good book and I liked it a lot," even if it's "Your beloved favorite sucks mightily and here are five relatively thoughtful reasons I think so."

I had a college professor who insisted the only correct interpretation of the poem was HIS interpretation. So since then, I've been....not that guy. :P

I would eat my arm for five thoughtful reasons why my students didn't like 1984, other than "It sucks." (this is usually the kid who read the first line, got confused by the clocks striking thirteen and just gave up. :D)

Wyliefan
05-06-2011, 05:56 PM
'I liked the book alot. The main character was really interesting. The choices he made were weird. There was alot of action. I would recommend it to anyone who likes to read."

This is the crap I get. A lot. :P

So the alot (http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html) is alive and well! :D

IceAlisa
05-06-2011, 06:06 PM
So the alot (http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html) is alive and well! :D

LOVE this! :)

PrincessLeppard
05-06-2011, 06:40 PM
I am using that in class. "baby less dangerous." :rofl:

Spinner
05-06-2011, 11:03 PM
If you are looking for new authors to try for the summer, B&N has released their summer Discover New Authors list: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/discover-seasonal-books/379001112/?start=1&cds2Pid=21579

There's even a zombie novel for PL.

But it's not a PL kinda zombie novel. This one's all romantic and would probably be full of whiny songs.

Prancer
05-07-2011, 12:52 AM
But it's not a PL kinda zombie novel. This one's all romantic and would probably be full of whiny songs.

Somehow it never occured to me that I needed to separate the romantic zombie novels from the non-romantic ones.

RockTheTassel
05-07-2011, 03:50 AM
I would eat my arm for five thoughtful reasons why my students didn't like 1984, other than "It sucks." (this is usually the kid who read the first line, got confused by the clocks striking thirteen and just gave up. :D)

I :duh: after reading that. Though it's not quite as bad as the extremely misguided kid I once talked to who read Fahrenheit 451 for his English class and seriously believed that the book burning was meant to be interpreted as a positive thing. :shuffle: I still can't figure out how he came to that conclusion.

Spinner
05-07-2011, 04:27 AM
Somehow it never occured to me that I needed to separate the romantic zombie novels from the non-romantic ones.

Yeah...It's on my to-read list, but from what I've read about it, there won't be nearly enough chainsaws, machetes or assault rifles.

PrincessLeppard
05-07-2011, 06:50 AM
Yeah...It's on my to-read list, but from what I've read about it, there won't be nearly enough chainsaws, machetes or assault rifles.

Hmm. Perhaps there is a lot brain-eating? That could make up for lack of carnage in other areas.

Spinner
05-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Hmm. Perhaps there is a lot brain-eating? That could make up for lack of carnage in other areas.

There's at least one consumption of a brain. That's how the main character--a zombie named R--gets into the story. He eats the brains of a teenage boy and then gets some of his memories. He then befriends the boy's girlfriend. (cue whiny female ballad...)

Matryeshka
05-08-2011, 02:35 AM
Finished Dead Reckoning. So glad I got it half off on my newfangled reading device and did not pay full price for it. It was better than the other ones, but too many damn subplots to the point that what turned into the main plot was anticlimactic.

She has also set up the plots for I think the next couple of books, which is good as far as planning goes, but it's going to be more fae crap. I thought we were done with FAE crap. I want VAMPIRES, damnit.

dinakt
05-08-2011, 02:43 AM
Finished Dead Reckoning. So glad I got it half off on my newfangled reading device and did not pay full price for it. It was better than the other ones, but too many damn subplots to the point that what turned into the main plot was anticlimactic.

She has also set up the plots for I think the next couple of books, which is good as far as planning goes, but it's going to be more fae crap. I thought we were done with FAE crap. I want VAMPIRES, damnit.

I read some reviews of "Dead Reckoning" and I think I'll skip reading it until CH is done with the series. Sookie started me on a bit of a fantasy craze (always loved fantasy and sci-fi, but apart from Harry Potter books did not read it since I was in my late teens.). Since then I have read UF series which are better written than SVM, better researched and better planned... Even for UF, I want to believe in my imaginary world; inconsistencies and random changes in main characters' behavior kill it for me.