PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

PrincessLeppard
05-06-2011, 03:42 AM
You and Prancer just take your electronic gizmos and horrific literary taste and go stand in that corner. :drama:

I'll be over here reading a zombie novel. :saint:

Matryeshka
05-06-2011, 03:48 AM
My vampire can beat up your zombie.

PrincessLeppard
05-06-2011, 03:51 AM
My zombie slayer can stake your vampire.

Wyliefan
05-06-2011, 03:53 AM
I hate that book with a singular, blinding passion and was heartbroken at how many good arguments there were for keeping it on the list.

That reminds me of a literature & film course where I wrote a paper arguing that the film version of The Natural was better than the book. My professor wrote on it that he completely disagreed with me, but my arguments were really good. :D

My vampire can beat up your zombie.

My zombie slayer can stake your vampire.

This is like the weirdest game of Rock Paper Scissors ever.

topaz
05-06-2011, 04:08 AM
You would have loved my Paris Hilton as Daisy lecture, PL. :P

Did you know that book 4 of the Elemental Assassin series was released last week.

I'm listening to the audiobook "Tangled Threads" and it is abulous.

gkelly
05-06-2011, 04:21 AM
That reminds me of a literature & film course where I wrote a paper arguing that the film version of The Natural was better than the book. My professor wrote on it that he completely disagreed with me, but my arguments were really good. :D

Kinda off topic...

When I first went to theatre grad school, we had a seminar in which we read a bunch of novels to choose one for a hypothetical stage adaptation. Then we had to write a final paper discussing why and how the one we chose should be adapted for performance.

The chosen novel (http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Captain-Simon-Southern-Classics/dp/1879941163) was not really up my alley, so instead I wrote my paper arguing against adapting that book. Maybe I was just peeved because it won out over a book I liked better. But anyway I came up with some decent arguments so I got a decent grade on the paper.

Matryeshka
05-06-2011, 04:25 AM
Yes, I did!!! :cheer2: Its timing was perfect--I read it on the plane ride home from New York. :) I really, really like Gin. She does what needs to be done and makes no apologies for it. I like her tomcat adopted brother, too. I like all the characters, actually.

Another Shameless Plug for An Electronic Gizmo: I pre-ordered it, and Tuesday morning when I awoke, it was there, waiting for me. Like a gift from a death-obssessed Goth dwarf (who could totally kick PL's zombie slayer's ASS and then clean up all the evidence afterwards).

TygerLily
05-06-2011, 04:42 AM
Do you recommend rereading the whole series or just the last one? IIRC, her second to last one was When Will There Be Good News?I should have clarified that anyone with a normal memory should be fine. :shuffle: I do love her books, but it's now been a few months since I read this one and my sieve memory can't give a useful review.

Another Shameless Plug for An Electronic GizmoI almost did a library search for this exciting sounding book An Electronic Gizmo. :o

Prancer
05-06-2011, 04:45 AM
I have never had a English teacher at any level who wasn't perfectly willing to give me a good grade for anything I had to say about any work, for or against, as long as I expressed myself in a reasonable and developed way.

Is that unusual?

Another Shameless Plug for An Electronic Gizmo: I pre-ordered it, and Tuesday morning when I awoke, it was there, waiting for me.

:cheer2: for instant gratification!

When I first got my Nook, I would sometimes wake up and night and see it glowing as it communed with the mothership, and it would freak me out. Were they talking about ME? But now I usually have to get out of bed to see what present my gizmo has for me.

Matryeshka
05-06-2011, 04:55 AM
Errr...I'd be scared to see what would come up if you googled an exciting electronic gizmo. :shuffle:

I'm reading the new Sookie Stackhouse. I'm quietly optimistic about it so far--about halfway through. There's not quite a plot--exactly--yet, but there a helluva lot of subplots that could all make great main plots, but so far it's a bit muddled.

What I don't like thus far: The return of Sandra Pelt. Can we PLEASE just let the Pelt family die? Are we really going to kill every Pelt? Can't she just have gone away? Seriously, you don't always have to tie up every single end. Also, it seems to me like there's a major push to Sookie/Sam in the future. BLAH. I'd rather BILL than Sam. :blah: Also, more fairie crap. That story line needs to die too. Apparantly, she's becoming mroe fairie. To be fair, I like Harris's general ideas about the fae and the way she uses mythology and folklore + her own twists. But I think she's overly taken with that idea, and I really wish she'd have a separate series/urban fantasy setting dealing with the fae. Sookie's world is being overrun to the point where you're wondering where the hell the humans are.

TygerLily
05-06-2011, 05:06 AM
Errr...I'd be scared to see what would come up if you googled an exciting electronic gizmo. :shuffle::eek: I did not even think of that. :o Luckily, I thought your post through seconds before hitting "search."

IceAlisa
05-06-2011, 06:45 AM
I'm fine with it being on the list as long as no one expects me to read it. :scream:
I loved that book. :shuffle:

John 3 17
05-06-2011, 08:53 AM
One argument frequently made now (even by some teachers and some lit-lovers) is that making someone read a book automatically means they will hate it. That is not true. snip

ITA. When I was in jr. high, I didn't think I'd enjoy a biography about Jeb Stuart, but my school sent it (I was homeschooled) as required reading for a report. I LOVED it. Absolutely loved reading about the Civil War and all the strategies and planning and the personal stories of the men involved. For a few years in a row, they required biographies of different Civil War generals and I enjoyed every single one.

People, especially kids, don't know what they'll like til they've been required to try it. Broadens their horizens.

-Bridget :)

PrincessLeppard
05-06-2011, 11:59 AM
I have never had a English teacher at any level who wasn't perfectly willing to give me a good grade for anything I had to say about any work, for or against, as long as I expressed myself in a reasonable and developed way.

Is that unusual?

'I liked the book alot. The main character was really interesting. The choices he made were weird. There was alot of action. I would recommend it to anyone who likes to read."

This is the crap I get. A lot. :P

PDilemma
05-06-2011, 01:48 PM

Is that unusual?

That is not unusual as long as the student is not turning in the sort of crap PL noted.

In my world of English teachers and in the methods classes I had and among every teacher I worked with and in all the seminars I went to, the standard practice that I think is unusual is not getting up in front of the room, holding up the novel of the month and announcing that it is THE. BEST. BOOK. EVER. WRITTEN. and virtually commanding that the students love it.

Worst example: the day I overheard the middle school teacher down the hall announcing to her 7th graders that they would LOVE LOVE LOVE Anne Frank and Number the Stars and how much she personally LOVES!!! the Holocaust and how much they would ENJOY and LOVE LOVE LOVE the Holocaust, too!!!!

No one should "love" or "enjoy" studying the Holocaust. I'm not sure she did. That is just how she introduced everything under the misguided notion that it would motivate the kids and make them love reading.

As I already said, that is how we make them think they don't like to read. If they don't love everything like we told them they should, then they conclude that clearly they don't like reading at all.