PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Prancer
05-05-2011, 11:57 PM
I should really renew my library card. I want to read a whole bunch of books but am not sure I want to buy them

Yes, I got that one as a library book, but it's the only one of his that they have as an e-book. I got two others on sale, 'cause I didn't like him enough to pay full price.:shuffle:

IceAlisa
05-05-2011, 11:58 PM
I know that I will want to buy the Kate Atkinson. I am just waiting around for the paperback. I don't like hardcovers for some reason.

But I do think I want to read the sort of new Laura Weisberger (of The Devil Wears Prada fame) Last Night At the Chateau Marmont. I need some brainless beach reading but am not willing to pay for it.

Prancer
05-06-2011, 12:54 AM
If you are looking for new authors to try for the summer, B&N has released their summer Discover New Authors list: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/discover-seasonal-books/379001112/?start=1&cds2Pid=21579

There's even a zombie novel for PL.

IceAlisa
05-06-2011, 01:20 AM
Thanks, Prancer. Some of them sound interesting. "Attachments" sounds like a nice beach read.

TygerLily
05-06-2011, 01:26 AM
I know that I will want to buy the Kate Atkinson. I am just waiting around for the paperback. I don't like hardcovers for some reason.My library has it in trade paperback.

I keep getting excited every time you mention the new Kate Atkinson and then I keep remembering that I've already read this one. Sighhh.

IceAlisa
05-06-2011, 01:29 AM
My library has it in trade paperback.

I keep getting excited every time you mention the new Kate Atkinson and then I keep remembering that I've already read this one. Sighhh.

How was it?

TygerLily
05-06-2011, 01:33 AM
I liked it, but I struggle a bit with the series since I read them so far apart and have a bad short-term memory. The next time she puts one out, I should reread the others first.

PrincessLeppard
05-06-2011, 01:56 AM
There's even a zombie novel for PL.

Maybe your eville twin makes an appearance. :EVILLE:

LilJen
05-06-2011, 01:58 AM
One argument frequently made now (even by some teachers and some lit-lovers) is that making someone read a book automatically means they will hate it. That is not true.

Of course, I operated on a strange plane for an English teacher in that I never expected my students to love or pretend to love everything we read. We didn't necessarily read it to love it. And people have different tastes and we shouldn't expect them not to just because we are in a classroom. I prefer Austen to Dickens by a long shot and told my students that. Some of them preferred Dickens. Most were just shocked because in 13 years of education, they had never had a teacher hand them a book without pretending that it was the single best book ever written in the history of humankind. Some of them would pick stuff I can't stand for their independent reading project and be surprised that I cared what their opinion about it was more than my own.

I don't think it is making students read any particular book that makes them dislike reading. I think it is trying to pretend that they must enjoy/love every book we give them that makes them dislike it. They conclude that if they don't like everything, they must not like reading. All the book lovers in this thread know good and well that none of us loves every single book we've ever picked up!

Can we clone you and put you in every English classroom in the US?

PDilemma
05-06-2011, 02:56 AM
Can we clone you and put you in every English classroom in the US?

Thanks for the compliment. But I got out a year ago. I couldn't fight with admins anymore.

IceAlisa
05-06-2011, 02:59 AM
I liked it, but I struggle a bit with the series since I read them so far apart and have a bad short-term memory. The next time she puts one out, I should reread the others first.

Do you recommend rereading the whole series or just the last one? IIRC, her second to last one was When Will There Be Good News?

Matryeshka
05-06-2011, 03:08 AM
I think book lovers actually hate certain books more than non-readers ever will. :lol:

I did an assignment similar to what you're talking about, PD. I gave them a list of books that were slowly being erradicated from reading lists for one reason or another and for their third nine weeks project, they had to defend one book from its demise and send one to the gallows. It was pretty interesting. The pleas for The Great Gatsby caused death in my soul. :fragile: I hate that book with a singular, blinding passion and was heartbroken at how many good arguments there were for keeping it on the list.

I also think I had a lot of BlueRidge-esque contrarians because it was well known how much I hated F. Scott Fitzgerald, Hemmingway (except A Farewell to Arms and The Sun Also Rises), and that whole expat gang. It was a challenge--nay, a sacred duty--to PROVE ME WRONG. Students love to prove teachers wrong.

Prancer
05-06-2011, 03:16 AM
I did an assignment similar to what you're talking about, PD. I gave them a list of books that were slowly being erradicated from reading lists for one reason or another and for their third nine weeks project, they had to defend one book from its demise and send one to the gallows.

Was this like a literary version of "Cliff, Marry, Shag"?

The pleas for The Great Gatsby caused death in my soul. :fragile: I hate that book with a singular, blinding passion and was heartbroken at how many good arguments there were for keeping it on the list.

I'm fine with it being on the list as long as no one expects me to read it. :scream:

PrincessLeppard
05-06-2011, 03:18 AM
Heretics, both of you. :lynch:

Matryeshka
05-06-2011, 03:41 AM
You would have loved my Paris Hilton as Daisy lecture, PL. :P