PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Artemis@BC
05-04-2011, 08:49 PM
^ Yes, my library currently has some ebooks for loan. A lot are non-fiction (on subjects that don't interest me), and a lot are, ahem, shall we say, "self-published first novels." Virtually nothing in the popular fiction / literature categories that I usually read.

But I'm fairly confident that will change in the future.

I'll check out that link when I have a bit more time, thanks.

star_gazer11
05-05-2011, 12:54 AM
LOL. I finally broke down and got a Kobo (since I had a bunch of Chapters certificates so basically got it for free). Haven't bought any books for it yet, will wait for my holidays to do that...

To be more budget friendly, make sure you use a coupon code - Kobo usually has at least one running. Sometimes when books drop to 0.99 and they have a $1 coupon, you get it for free. :) (You're not charged the HST). Current codes are posted here, updated on the first page (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115233). Kobo doesn't have a shopping cart system yet (so purchases are processed one at a time). You can use a Chapters gift card to pay, though, so if smaller individual charges on your credit card bother you, that's an option.

Michalle
05-05-2011, 03:22 AM
Can you also play Angry Birds and listen to music on the Kindle or is that only on the nook? I'm still trying to decide between them...

PDilemma
05-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Ha! There was a discussion of Jane Eyre on the radio the other day, and someone called in complaining about how some sentences went on forever, and I thought, "Have you ever read Henry James? You ain't seen nothin'." I plodded my way through Portrait of a Lady and often noted how many times a sentence went on for AT LEAST a page. Washington Square was much more readable.

LOL. This reminds me of when I taught senior honors English and we would read Pride & Prejudice and the students would whine that Austen was "too wordy". Wait, my dear children, I would say, because Dickens is next; you will find Austen to be downright stingy with words after two chapters of his!

Wyliefan
05-05-2011, 04:04 PM
I hope you gave them James after Dickens. :D

PDilemma
05-05-2011, 04:17 PM
I hope you gave them James after Dickens. :D

If it had been my choice, I would have ended their course with some James. But it was not. I worked for a principal that felt that asking seniors in honors to read novels written before the 20th C was wrong and unfair, as was asking any high school students to read novels, as was expecting them to write papers that were not personal writing or creative writing. Last spring, he tried to make me eliminate research, analytical and persuasive writing from the senior honors class as well as to allow them to choose their own reading, even if it were juvenile books. This is why I don't teach there anymore.

I had them in a semester long block (90 minute class) and they did Beowulf, Chaucer, Macbeth, Hamlet, Swift, Austen and Dickens as well as a number of shorter pieces and were required to read and write about one additional novel published after Dickens. A few tried James once in awhile. A few even liked him.

Wyliefan
05-05-2011, 04:51 PM
If it had been my choice, I would have ended their course with some James. But it was not. I worked for a principal that felt that asking seniors in honors to read novels written before the 20th C was wrong and unfair, as was asking any high school students to read novels, as was expecting them to write papers that were not personal writing or creative writing.

:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

Everyone always whines about how we in the U.S. need more and better math and science. No one ever seems to notice that our national attitude toward literature these days is utterly abysmal.

PDilemma
05-05-2011, 07:52 PM
:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

Everyone always whines about how we in the U.S. need more and better math and science. No one ever seems to notice that our national attitude toward literature these days is utterly abysmal.

One argument frequently made now (even by some teachers and some lit-lovers) is that making someone read a book automatically means they will hate it. That is not true.

Of course, I operated on a strange plane for an English teacher in that I never expected my students to love or pretend to love everything we read. We didn't necessarily read it to love it. And people have different tastes and we shouldn't expect them not to just because we are in a classroom. I prefer Austen to Dickens by a long shot and told my students that. Some of them preferred Dickens. Most were just shocked because in 13 years of education, they had never had a teacher hand them a book without pretending that it was the single best book ever written in the history of humankind. Some of them would pick stuff I can't stand for their independent reading project and be surprised that I cared what their opinion about it was more than my own.

I don't think it is making students read any particular book that makes them dislike reading. I think it is trying to pretend that they must enjoy/love every book we give them that makes them dislike it. They conclude that if they don't like everything, they must not like reading. All the book lovers in this thread know good and well that none of us loves every single book we've ever picked up!

Prancer
05-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Can you also play Angry Birds and listen to music on the Kindle or is that only on the nook? I'm still trying to decide between them...

There's the Nook, and there's the Nook Color and apparently there is a new Nook coming out May 24 (I can hear rfisher gloating from here).

The Kindle and the Nook can play sideloaded music files. The Nook Color can play sideloaded music files and comes with Pandora Radio.

The Kindle and the Nook Color have game apps. All versions of the Kindle (to date) have e-ink only screens, so all of the games are in shades of gray. I don't believe you can get Angry Birds on Kindle.

If you want the best pure e-reader, then Kindle is the way to go, although the Nook is a good, too, and the price is really good right now because of the new one that is coming out. If you want e-ink, then those two are the best of the choices available. If you want the best multipurpose tablet device with e-reader ability, then iPad is the way to go. If you want a pretty good combination tablet with good e-reader capability and a lot of tablet features for less than an iPad, the Nook Color is the way to go. I love mine, but it is not an iPad. If you do a jailbreak on it, it's a basic Android tablet; if you don't; it's an e-reader with tablet features. Tablets do not have e-ink, so if that is important to you, you can't have all the colorful apps, at least not yet.

Amazon is developing a tablet; whether it is a Kindle tablet or something else remains to be seen. Amazon is also working on color e-ink. But I don't think any of it is going to be available this year.

Amazon and Apple are engaged in a rapidly escalating war. Microsoft is suing everybody with Android, including Barnes and Noble for the Nook Color. Apple is suing Amazon over the Amazon app store. Microsoft is suing Apple over Apple's app store. Paul Allen is suing Apple for infringing on patents that affect cell phones and tablet apps. And so on and so on.

So....anything can happen at this point. Whatever you buy, you will probably like a lot, especially if you like to read. Whatever you buy, something better will be out soon. And whatever you buy, a lawsuit may end up causing all kinds of problems with the future support of your device.

Good luck :D.

IceAlisa
05-05-2011, 09:13 PM
After all the glory of the CIA and special ops this past weekend I think I will pick up Norman Mailer's "Harlot's Ghost" again. It was a good book interrupted by a lot of beach reading last summer and now I am in the mood again.

Still not in the mood to go back to "Cutting for stone" yet. Nothing's wrong with that book, though.

Prancer
05-05-2011, 09:20 PM
After all the glory of the CIA and special ops this past weekend I think I will pick up Norman Mailer's "Harlot's Ghost" again. It was a good book interrupted by a lot of beach reading last summer and now I am in the mood again.

About two weeks ago, I read Brian Haig's Man in the Middle (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Man-in-the-Middle/Brian-Haig/e/9780759516649/?itm=4&USRI=brian+haig) and I thought of it when I was reading about the special ops. There's a section of the book where a team goes into pre-US held Fallujah to extract a particular terrorist that really came to mind.

I knew whodunnit very early on in the book; the motives weren't clear until near the end, but the murderer was fairly obvious. I liked the book enough to get a couple of more of Haig's books.

rfisher
05-05-2011, 10:03 PM
Just wait till next week and get the real deal (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/SEAL-Team-Six/Howard-E-Wasdin/e/9780312699451/?cds2Pid=33639)

IceAlisa
05-05-2011, 10:10 PM
About two weeks ago, I read Brian Haig's Man in the Middle (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Man-in-the-Middle/Brian-Haig/e/9780759516649/?itm=4&USRI=brian+haig) and I thought of it when I was reading about the special ops. There's a section of the book where a team goes into pre-US held Fallujah to extract a particular terrorist that really came to mind. Thanks, will check it out. Poor "Harlot's Ghost" may have to go on the back burner again. Did I mention the new Kate Atkinson (http://www.amazon.com/Started-Early-Took-My-Dog/dp/0316066745/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2VC7BSNL95Q92&colid=3K3O6BEKCNJPU) is out, just in time for my summer vacation?

I knew whodunnit very early on in the book... Of course, you did. You should work for the CIA! :P

Prancer
05-05-2011, 11:50 PM
Thanks, will check it out. Poor "Harlot's Ghost" may have to go on the back burner again.

You may not like it :shuffle:. It's very pro US military. And he tries to dodge naming and labeling the Bush administration, which makes for some really :rolleyes: sections.

But his protagonist is a real smart ass. I like that in a person. And since I spend so much time with military, a lot of what he talks about was really familiar for me. There's a part where he describes the different branches of the military that just had me :rofl:, but I don't think it would hit most people that way.

Of course, you did. You should work for the CIA! :P

Can you really be sure that I don't? :sekret:

IceAlisa
05-05-2011, 11:54 PM
You may not like it :shuffle:. It's very pro US military. And he tries to dodge naming and labeling the Bush administration, which makes for some really :rolleyes: sections.

But his protagonist is a real smart ass. I like that in a person. And since I spend so much time with military, a lot of what he talks about was really familiar for me.
I am not anti-US military really. However, I know next to nothing about it so if there are any inside jokes, I will miss them.

But I do like smart asses. :P I should really renew my library card. I want to read a whole bunch of books but am not sure I want to buy them and the wait list isn't too bad.

Can you really be sure that I don't? :sekret: Well, just in case: thank you, dear Prancer for your service to the country! ;)