PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book



Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Prancer
05-03-2011, 07:16 PM
OMG running out to get the Firefly DVDs from the library RIGHT NOW!!

If you can't wait: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWo6nXIj9Bk

Spinner
05-03-2011, 11:35 PM
If you can't wait: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWo6nXIj9Bk

:lol: You beat me to it! :grope:

star_gazer11
05-03-2011, 11:44 PM
If you can't wait: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWo6nXIj9Bk

Thanks :lol:

For my upcoming trip, my ebook selection will include Meg Rosoff's How We Live Now and Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan, both YA. I can't read heavy stuff for travel.

And maybe a reread of When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead. Simply :kickass: for me. A mystery solved, time travel, and loved how the ending brought everything together. Totally recommended, don't let the fact that it's marketed/aimed at middle-school readers be a determent.

Wyliefan
05-03-2011, 11:46 PM
If you have an e-reader, it can be good to get some out-of-copyright freebies for it. I read The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes last week--it was a hoot.

I don't actually have an e-reader, but I downloaded The Wings of the Dove for my iPad. This despite the fact that Henry James routinely drives me berserk. :lol: But the description of the story sounded so interesting that I just had to give it a shot.

BrokenAnkle
05-04-2011, 12:55 AM
Read Water for Elephants and liked it enough to go see the movie today. I have 15 books on my nook but 5 came with it.

rfisher
05-04-2011, 01:30 AM
You people are killing me. I'm going to have to buy a Nook. I hate being the only one without the toy. :drama:

Allskate
05-04-2011, 01:42 AM
Read Water for Elephants and liked it enough to go see the movie today.

I liked the book. How was the movie?

I'm doing my best to resist a Nook or Kindle. I'm sure I'll break down eventually.

Prancer
05-04-2011, 01:47 AM
You people are killing me. I'm going to have to buy a Nook. I hate being the only one without the toy. :drama:


I'm doing my best to resist a Nook or Kindle. I'm sure I'll break down eventually.

You will be assimiliated. :EVILLE:

Matryeshka
05-04-2011, 03:00 AM
I downloaded three books on my Kindle today--Bayou Moon by Ilona Andrews, the next Kane files book by Rick Riordan, and the new Sookie Stackhouse. The Riordan and Harris were half-off too! :cheer2:

I'm pretty sure I got all three books for under $30, and all of them were published this year! Out with the old, in with the new. Except when Prancer annoys me supporting some skater I don't like or posting some fact and I feel the need to buy a print book to doggear.

PrincessLeppard
05-04-2011, 04:26 AM
You people are killing me. I'm going to have to buy a Nook. I hate being the only one without the toy. :drama:

I don't have one. I do have an IPad, though. I haven't read a book on it yet.

BrokenAnkle
05-04-2011, 04:35 AM
I liked the book. How was the movie?

I'm doing my best to resist a Nook or Kindle. I'm sure I'll break down eventually.

I thought the movie was a very good adaption. They had to leave some things out, but it still rang true to the book. I have never seen any of the Twilight movies so I did not have a preconceived notion of how Robert Pattison would be as Jacob and I felt he did capture that character very well. The parts with Rosie were really awesome.

I waited a long time to get an e-reader and I am really loving it. It's wonderful to have 16 books in my purse!

LilJen
05-04-2011, 04:13 PM
I don't actually have an e-reader, but I downloaded The Wings of the Dove for my iPad. This despite the fact that Henry James routinely drives me berserk. :lol: But the description of the story sounded so interesting that I just had to give it a shot.

Ha! There was a discussion of Jane Eyre on the radio the other day, and someone called in complaining about how some sentences went on forever, and I thought, "Have you ever read Henry James? You ain't seen nothin'." I plodded my way through Portrait of a Lady and often noted how many times a sentence went on for AT LEAST a page. Washington Square was much more readable.

Wyliefan
05-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Ha! There was a discussion of Jane Eyre on the radio the other day, and someone called in complaining about how some sentences went on forever, and I thought, "Have you ever read Henry James? You ain't seen nothin'." I plodded my way through Portrait of a Lady and often noted how many times a sentence went on for AT LEAST a page. Washington Square was much more readable.

I know -- and Portrait of a Lady was one of his EASIER books!!

Artemis@BC
05-04-2011, 05:57 PM
You will be assimiliated. :EVILLE:

LOL. I finally broke down and got a Kobo (since I had a bunch of Chapters certificates so basically got it for free). Haven't bought any books for it yet, will wait for my holidays to do that, but I have been enjoying some of the 100 free "classics" that came pre-loaded. Maybe now I'll finally get around to reading The Art of War.

However I am not yet a true convert. Paper books will still be my first choice -- if for no other reason than the fact that I get about 80% of my books free from the library, and the other 20% second hand.

BTW, reading Water for Elephants now. I doubt I'll see the movie on the big screen, but will watch it when it comes out on DVD.

Prancer
05-04-2011, 06:48 PM
I waited a long time to get an e-reader and I am really loving it. It's wonderful to have 16 books in my purse!

I had a two and a half hour wait at the doctor's office the other day and was so glad I had my Nook with me. As of now, I have:

173 books from Barnes and Noble (not counting the ones in my Archives)
57 books from other sources
10 (usually) library books

So I read for about an hour and a half, until I finished one book and didn't want to start another because I foolishly thought I would surely be going in any minute. Since I have a Nook Color, I plugged in my headphones, put on a Pandora station and listened to music while I played Angry Birds and kind of dozed.


if for no other reason than the fact that I get about 80% of my books free from the library, and the other 20% second hand.

You should be able to get library books and books from non-Kobo stores on your Kobo. Instructions here. (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82389)

The e-book selections at libraries tends to be limited, partly because the demand exceeds the supply and partly because some of the big publishing houses (Simon & Schuster being one major example) are not licensing their books for libraries. But once I got a Hold list (for books I have on request) and a Wish list (for books I want to request when I have an opening on my Hold list) up and running, I've had a steady supply of library books. My biggest problem is that I can't check out more than 10 at a time and I often have three or four come up as available at once when I have maybe one opening available.

At least half of my e-books were free downloads and in general, I never pay more than $5 at most for an e-book. If I reallyreallyreally want one, I will pay more, but I have so many books on the Nook already that I can be patient. I have a Wish list on B&N; I check it a few times a week to see if anything is one sale. And I have a few sites that list cheapies and freebies that I check regularly, too.