PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

rfisher
04-23-2011, 06:58 PM
One of my faculty bought a Kindle and thinks it's fantastic. I feel I'm going to have to take the plunge. I have no doubt the day after I buy an ereader, it will be obsolete and a better version will come on the market.

Prancer
04-23-2011, 07:14 PM
One of my faculty bought a Kindle and thinks it's fantastic. I feel I'm going to have to take the plunge. I have no doubt the day after I buy an ereader, it will be obsolete and a better version will come on the market.

:lol: It's technology. That's kind of inevitable.

My prediction is that there is a limited market for e-readers and a much bigger one for tablets with reading apps. Amazon has already talked about color e-ink and there are a lot of indications that there is a Kindle tablet in the works, too. So yeah, your Kindle, should you buy one, will be replaced before too long with the biggerbetterstrongerfaster model.

But it's like anything else; you don't have to have the latest to have something that's pretty great by itself.

immoimeme
04-23-2011, 09:19 PM
Well, not having a computer IS giving me more time to read. So I read "Shutter Island." It was pretty bad. The movie, which was not all that great, was hella better than the book.

IceAlisa
04-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Well, what do you know--Kate Atkinson does have a new Jackson Brodie book: http://www.amazon.com/Started-Early-Took-My-Dog/dp/0316066745/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1303590556&sr=1-1

The paperback comes out in October.

Allen
04-24-2011, 01:42 AM
I tried to read Atlas Shrugged in order to form an opinion on it, and couldn't get through more than 20 pages.

Same here. I just didn't get far at all. I read Anthem, but didn't really care for it.

I'm reading Jonathan Lethem's Motherless Brooklyn right now which I'm loving.

Allskate
04-24-2011, 02:29 AM
I read it in 4 days (the first time) when I was in high school, and reread it several times in the year or so following. At the time I was inclined to embrace the philosophy it espoused; later I changed my mind about most of it.

That was pretty much my experience with Atlas Shrugged. I preferred The Fountainhead. Actually, I don't think I ever really embraced the political philosophy, but I did appreciate the integrity and lack of compromise. Maybe a good thing for a teenager, and maybe not. But, I'm sure my reaction would have been different if I first read them now.

I'm going to the big Friends of the Library Book Sale tomorrow. Tens of thousands of used books for sale and tomorrow they are only a dollar. I have so many books already that are still on my "to read" list and I don't really have room for a lot more books. But, I can't resist. However, I've vowed that, for every book I buy, I will donate another one. That should keep me from going too crazy.

Artemis@BC
04-27-2011, 09:01 PM
... What do people think of Cutting For Stone?

I'm in the library queue for that one, so I'll let you know.

Meanwhile I'm slogging -- and I do mean slogging -- my way through The Land of Painted Caves. I'll reserve judgment 'til I'm finished, but in the meantime I'll just say that going into it with very low expectations was definitely a good thing! :rolleyes:

topaz
04-28-2011, 02:03 AM
I love my nook Color. I haven't modified it yet but I will be soon. I"m reading alot more in other genres.

Prancer
04-28-2011, 02:54 AM
I love my nook Color. I haven't modified it yet but I will be soon. I"m reading alot more in other genres.

:D Love mine, too, and have discovered a lot of new authors by virtue of the free samples, free book Fridays, and assorted offers from publishers.

I downloaded several apps from the new app store, though, and made the mistake of getting Angry Birds. Suddenly, my kids are interested in borrowing my Nook all the time. :mad:

Matryeshka
04-28-2011, 10:51 PM
Angry Birds Easter Edition. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I hate those pigs and their adorable easter bunny ears, snarking and grunting at my failures.

Bah. I discovered two new series: The Gin Blanco series, which I think I've already mentioned. I've read all the ones she's written. Now I have to wait a long time because the last time came out on Tuesday and I finished it on the plane. :mad:

But I've also discovered the Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series. The first book is kind of meh because she doesn't do a great job of setting up the world, and it starts kind of "in the middle," meaning there's already a lot of backstory and obviously regular characters that are given only the most cursory of introductions. It was to the point that in the middle of the book, I put it down and looked all over the author's website, amazon, and bn.com to make sure that was the first book or that this character wasn't first introduced in a novella or anthology or previous series set in the same alternate universe. I liked the characters enough to read the second one though, which was better fleshed out.

She must have gotten some feedback from readers/reviews/her publisher, because within the first 50 pages, the exact mythology of her alternative reality is explained in a clear and concise manner :lol:

I do really like the series though, and I think there's a lot of places she can go with the world she's created.

Artemis@BC
04-29-2011, 06:10 PM
I was browsing through the 4.99-and-under e-books from Kobo when I spotted that you can actually buy Heat Wave by "Richard Castle." :rofl:

(For those who don't watch the TV show Castle, Richard Castle is eponymous character, a best-selling crime writer who is inspired by his work with NYC detective Kate Beckett to write a new series of books featuring a female cop, Nikki Heat. Pretty funny that someone went to the effort to actually write the novel! I see it was published in 2009, though, so maybe this is only news to me. {insert "out of the loop" emoticon here})

Nan
04-29-2011, 06:33 PM
I was browsing through the 4.99-and-under e-books from Kobo when I spotted that you can actually buy Heat Wave by "Richard Castle." :rofl:

There are three different books available on Amazon, the third one due out this fall. The review ratings aren't bad! :lol:

TygerLily
04-29-2011, 07:36 PM
I've read the first two. :shuffle: I kinda liked them. :shuffle:

Prancer
04-29-2011, 07:42 PM
Jessica Fletcher had a mystery series, too, and I am pretty sure I have seen another series "written" by a fictional character.

I refuse to read the Castle books because I cannot bear reading about a cop named Nikki Heat. :slinkaway:

Jenya
04-29-2011, 08:22 PM
I'm going to Mexico in a few weeks and am starting to look for good beach reads to take with me. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance! :cheer: