PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Prancer
12-30-2010, 04:55 AM
I think I'll get used to it but for now I'm loving how much smaller it is than the two bulky books I am reading.

Yes, I do like that. It's still weird to me to look at the library and realize that all those books are in there.

But I got used to having hundreds of songs on my little mp3 player, so I guess I'll adjust :P.

Those of you with Kindles might like to know how to read at least some library books on your Kindle, Amazon be damned: http://j2jensen.blogspot.com/2010/05/mobipocket-to-kindle-format-converter.html

And anyone with any e-reader might be interested in having this free e-book management system: http://calibre-ebook.com/about Calibre can convert MOBI files for your Kindle, among other things.

Matryeshka
12-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Reading The Magicians right now. So far, I'm pleasently surprised.

Normally, I don't go around quoting myself nor post at 4:10am unless there's ice dance going on, but I felt I had to come on and post three simple words:

I was wrong.

If any other FSUers are up playing with their new Christmas Kindles/Nooks and are combing this thread for ideas, The Magicians is not it. At 35% of the book, I thought it was pretty good, the characters were likeable, and the description of magic was kind of awesome. By 56%, it was starting to annoy me. By 75%, it had devolved into rampant whining and Tolkein-esque silliness, and by 98% I wanted everyone in that book and the author to experience a long, drawn out "to the pain" a la The Princess Bride experience. I do not think I have ever hated fictional characters or a fictional world so much in my entire life. I'm pretty sure the author must kind of be a miserable bastard and overgrown, whiny, immature manbaby to come up with this shite, so I'm going to say I hate him too.

Seriously, I hated it so much at the end I am actually so mad, I don't think I can sleep. I know some maintain it's the mark of a good book/movie/play/TV show if it illicits a strong emotion, and normally I'd agree, but not in this case. This was just bad. If it was not housed in a piece of very expensive technology, I would have hurled it against the wall already. From now on, I think in place of a word defintion of "awful" this book should appear.

Weren't books that featured snivelling, so-intelligent-they're-miserable, all the world is drudgery unless you're too stupid to realize it, let's all wallow in our emotional muck type books supposed to disappear with the Clinton administration? Did Grossman not get that memo that yes, it's OK to create likeable characters in li-tra-chure again?

:blah:

On an upnote, zaphyre, I have joined you in the realm of trashy reading and discovered an historical trashy romance novel I actually enjoyed--Loretta Chase's Lord of Scoundrels. It didn't have a pirate on the front cover, but it was pretty damn good anyway. (I d/led it when The Magicians started to piss me off, hoping a bodice ripper would put me in a better reading mood, but even a surprisingly good historical could save that dreck.)

I'm almost scared to start on The Sorceress and The Necromancer. Maybe I'm just not cut out to read fantasy novels unless there's Quidditch or kinky vampire sex. :shuffle:

vesperholly
12-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Seriously, I hated it so much at the end I am actually so mad, I don't think I can sleep.

That's how I felt after I read Twilight. :mad: :mad: :mad:

galaxygirl
12-30-2010, 08:10 PM
That's how I felt after I read Twilight. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I could only handle 100 pages of 'OMG, Edward is looking at me! OMG, Edward isn't looking at me!'.

IceAlisa
12-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Inspired by the multiple ballet threads I am reading Gelsey Kirkland's biography Dancing On My Grave. So far I can report that it seems Balanchine was a real tool in many different ways. He tried to screw with everything I love about classical dance starting with dramatic interpretation and ending with the port de bras. He tried to turn his dancers into robots who exist to mindlessly execute his choreography.

No wonder I never really took to his ballets.

modern_muslimah
12-30-2010, 08:58 PM
I could only handle 100 pages of 'OMG, Edward is looking at me! OMG, Edward isn't looking at me!'.

You got that far? I barely made it past the first chapter. Every time Bella appeared, Edward should've :scream:

PrincessLeppard
12-30-2010, 09:13 PM
All right, I admit it. I *liked* Twilight. No, it isn't great literature, and Bella is somewhat annoying (but I teach high school, so I probably have more patience with overly dramatik teenagers than most), but I would read it again over anything by Wharton or freakin' Thomas Hardy.

Oh, and I teach English. :shuffle: But, yeah.

galaxygirl
12-30-2010, 09:19 PM
You got that far? I barely made it past the first chapter. Every time Bella appeared, Edward should've :scream:

I think it's only because it took about 2 working brain cells to read, so it would have been harder to stop reading than to continue. Pesky inertia!

modern_muslimah
12-30-2010, 09:59 PM
I think it's only because it took about 2 working brain cells to read, so it would have been harder to stop reading than to continue. Pesky inertia!

:lol:

Wyliefan
12-30-2010, 10:15 PM
All right, I admit it. I *liked* Twilight. No, it isn't great literature, and Bella is somewhat annoying (but I teach high school, so I probably have more patience with overly dramatik teenagers than most)

You teach a class full of Bellas?? You poor thing! :scream:

jen_faith
12-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Oh I didn't mind it that much -- except for the last book which just defied the limits of stoopidity. I read the series in tandem with my tween and we both enjoyed mocking it.

And Edward is a nimrod--he and Bella deserve each other. Jacob should have run screaming in the opposite direction and found himself a nice wolf-girl and had cute little wolf-babies.

So yeah, I'm team Jacob all the way :shuffle:

All right, I admit it. I *liked* Twilight. No, it isn't great literature, and Bella is somewhat annoying (but I teach high school, so I probably have more patience with overly dramatik teenagers than most), but I would read it again over anything by Wharton or freakin' Thomas Hardy.

Oh, and I teach English. :shuffle: But, yeah.

PrincessLeppard
12-30-2010, 10:31 PM
You teach a class full of Bellas?? You poor thing! :scream:

No, only about a third of them. ;)

Wyliefan
12-30-2010, 11:59 PM
Oh, that's more like it! :lol:

Prancer
12-31-2010, 12:55 AM
You can now loan books on Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_rel_topic?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200549320

Heh heh. All those bitching librarians will break Amazon yet. Open library borrowing is only a heartbeat away.

WindSpirit
12-31-2010, 01:10 AM
(Russian lit isn't my bag, for the most part, though I've dutifully plodded through various Russian classics because I figured I should.) "Dutifully plodded"? :) Personally I think Russian lit is one of the greatest in the world. Translation is always going to be a problem, especially with languages so different as Russian and English. "The Master and Margarita" by Bulgakov will probably always be one of my favorite novels. There are parts of it I don't like, but the parts I like are out of this world. If someone's interested in reading it, here's (http://cr.middlebury.edu/public/russian/bulgakov/public_html/Engeditions.html) a little info on English translations.

Otherwise, I am loving my reader and think that my husband's dream of me not piling books on every available surface just might come true. I've been thinking about getting one for some time. I have rather traumatic memories of having to move with too many books, so I've developed a fear of buying books (not that it stopped me completely). But I still love to read. What do you have, a Kindle? I've been thinking about an iPad, but maybe a Kindle would be better (too many distractions with an iPad, and why pay extra for stuff I have my computer for?). Too bad I can't play with both before I decide.

Anyway, the books I'm reading now are about flash photography, Photoshop and two about narcissism: "The Wizard of Oz and other Narcissists" and "Why Is It Always About You? The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism", which I'm finding rather enlightening.