PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

rfisher
04-12-2011, 01:16 AM
I am reading some books about inflammation. It was interesting for a few days :shuffle:.

I can't imagine that being interesting more than a few minutes. About the amount of time to read about it in a pathology textbook.

Spinner
04-12-2011, 01:26 AM
Why are you desecrating a book dogearing pages? So you can reference them when you contact him to tell him his editing sucks? :lol: I can see your eye twitching from here. If he uses to phrase "loose weight," I will complain, too, just on principle.
They're just mass market paperbacks, so meh. And someone had to give you a reason to post a predictably contrary comment. :P Glad I could help. ;)

Prancer
04-12-2011, 01:28 AM
I can't imagine that being interesting more than a few minutes. About the amount of time to read about it in a pathology textbook.

I'd probably get through it all a lot faster if I didn't keep thinking, "This is really boring" and tapping over to something else. :shuffle:

One of the bad things about having an e-reader is that it is way too easy to switch to something else. Tap, tap. Ah, comforting trash.

One of the good things about having an e-reader is that it is ever so easy to switch to something else. I was reading away in a doctor's office today and had just hit a particularly smutty page when she walked in. She asked what I was reading. Tap, tap. Everything you never wanted to know about inflammation. See?

I have two books on language development and neurobiology that I've been planning to read for months. I am beginning to think of them as beards.

They're just mass market paperbacks, so meh.

I don't care if it's a trashed book you bought at Goodwill. Thou shalt not dogear pages. My eye is twitching just thinking about it.

Matryeshka
04-12-2011, 01:33 AM
I dogear books. In fact, that's how you can tell my favorite books--they're the ones with the most desecration.

I'm reading Book 3, Venom, of the Assassins series. I'm not sure it's a great urban fantasy series, and I skip over large amounts of each book because of the excessive tell-not-show pages upon pages of her first-person meandering. Yet, I'm still reading them, so there's something about them that's appealing. I'll let you know when I figure it out.

Prancer
04-12-2011, 01:34 AM
I dogear books. In fact, that's how you can tell my favorite books--they're the ones with the most desecration.

I think I am going to have a seizure.

Matryeshka
04-12-2011, 01:37 AM
I think I'll go dogear some classics just for you Prancer. Maybe I'll start with Persepolis.

:EVILLE:

Prancer
04-12-2011, 01:46 AM
I think I'll go dogear some classics just for you Prancer. Maybe I'll start with Persepolis.

:EVILLE:

Every time you bend a page, a penguin dies.

IceAlisa
04-12-2011, 02:18 AM
Every time you bend a page, a penguin dies.

And a kitten. And a puppy. :lynch: It really should be a felony. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

They get to write an essay about that tomorrow. :)
And I am sure you will regale us with some of the more notable excerpts? :P

gkelly
04-12-2011, 02:24 AM
I don't care if it's a trashed book you bought at Goodwill. Thou shalt not dogear pages. My eye is twitching just thinking about it.

But that's the fun of owning books. OK, I don't usually dogear -- sometimes I put ripped up strips of Post-Its on the pages I want to flag. But these are not for posterity.

Once I was reading a mass-market novel that had so many typos in the first few pages that I got out my red pen and copyedited while I read.

And I have two copies of a book I submitted a chapter to, in which I knew more about the subject matter than most of the contributors, who were bringing outside theoretical perspectives to the subject. So I designated one as my clean copy and one to annotate with corrections of fact in the margins.

Not that I make a habit of it, but sometimes I just can't resist.

Spinner
04-12-2011, 02:30 AM
Not that I make a habit of it, but sometimes I just can't resist.
:lol: Glad I'm not the only neurotic who feels superior by marking errors. Mind you, I never touch my trade paperbacks or hardcovers.

And I'm having a hard time resisting sending a pic of a bent page to Prancer. :EVILLE:

Prancer
04-12-2011, 02:37 AM
But that's the fun of owning books.

*shudder* Dogearing pages. Writing in the margins. Making corrections.

:fragile:

This is why I don't loan books to people.

And I'm having a hard time resisting sending a pic of a bent page to Prancer. :EVILLE:

:scream:

There will be paybacks.

IceAlisa
04-12-2011, 02:38 AM
*shudder* Dogearing pages. Writing in the margins. Making corrections.

:fragile:

This is why I don't loan books to people.

We have something in common. You can get anything out of me but not a book. They stay home in their pristine condition.

rfisher
04-12-2011, 02:44 AM
We have something in common. You can get anything out of me but not a book. They stay home in their pristine condition.

I buy multiple copies of books I reread frequently. I have two copies of all the HP books. One copy to read and one in pristine condition. :shuffle:

topaz
04-12-2011, 03:59 AM

I'm reading Book 3, Venom, of the Assassins series. I'm not sure it's a great urban fantasy series, and I skip over large amounts of each book because of the excessive tell-not-show pages upon pages of her first-person meandering. Yet, I'm still reading them, so there's something about them that's appealing. I'll let you know when I figure it out.

Yea, I"m happy you're reading the books. I enjoyed them all. I love the hardness of Gin.

Have you tried the audiobooks for the series.

topaz
04-12-2011, 04:01 AM
I just finished the audiobook version Lover Unleashed by JR Ward. Book 9 in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series.

I absolutely love Ward's books. In my opinion, she's the best writer in the paranormal romance genre right now. Especially dealing with vampires.