PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Prancer
04-10-2011, 12:17 AM
Borders acknowledges professors as educators, but B&N never has. :fragile:

PrincessLeppard
04-10-2011, 12:20 AM
That's cuz they know you're up there in your ivory tower, doing nothing productive. Oh, and you're overpaid. :P

Wyliefan
04-10-2011, 12:49 AM
Borders acknowledges professors as educators, but B&N never has. :fragile:

Really?? Weird!

zaphyre14
04-11-2011, 06:38 PM
I managed to get through Jo Beverly's "An Unlikely Countess" this weekend, as my dose of Regency froth. The reviews were mediocre so I was surprised that it held my interest, even if the main characters were somewhat cardboardy. The climactic vengence scene fell flat for me though.

Now I'm into J.D. Robb's "Treachery in Death."

PrincessLeppard
04-11-2011, 06:47 PM
I forgot to take my zombie book on my trip. *sniff*

So I'm reading The Handmaid's Tale. Again. My Dystopian Lit class is reading it. Just judging from the reactions in the class, I don't think I'm going to have any girls saying "it wouldn't be so bad" to live in that society, like there were last year. :scream:

Artemis@BC
04-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Just judging from the reactions in the class, I don't think I'm going to have any girls saying "it wouldn't be so bad" to live in that society, like there were last year. :scream:

Really?! That's pretty scary. Even if they were imagining themselves as living on the privileged end of the spectrum of Gilead, still hard to imagine how they'd think that would in any way be a happy place.

How does the book hold up to re-reading, though? I've re-read many Atwoods, but not that one.

IceAlisa
04-11-2011, 09:00 PM
I've re-read The Edible Woman and The Robber Bride many many times. I luuuurves me some Atwood.

PrincessLeppard
04-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Really?! That's pretty scary. Even if they were imagining themselves as living on the privileged end of the spectrum of Gilead, still hard to imagine how they'd think that would in any way be a happy place.

How does the book hold up to re-reading, though? I've re-read many Atwoods, but not that one.

I think it's an excellent book, and I've read it now seven or eight times. :)

Oh, and the students they felt "protected" and "cherished."

Um, yeah.

Wyliefan
04-11-2011, 09:25 PM

Um, yeah.

That's sad. It makes me think that maybe a lot of them had never had anyone in their lives who genuinely protected or cherished them, if they could so easily confuse those things with abuse and exploitation.

(See also Twilight.)

PDilemma
04-11-2011, 09:39 PM

Um, yeah.

That language sounds like they have been brought up with a lot of teaching about "traditional gender roles". Probably from certain sorts of churches. The sort that probably inspired Atwood in the first place.

IceAlisa
04-11-2011, 10:05 PM

Um, yeah.

Reminds me of the line in the book about "freedom to" and "freedom from". Sad.

LilJen
04-12-2011, 12:00 AM
Prelude to a Legend. For my book group. I did not choose it (was chosen because it's by a local "author").

Avoid at all costs.

PrincessLeppard
04-12-2011, 12:24 AM
Reminds me of the line in the book about "freedom to" and "freedom from". Sad.

They get to write an essay about that tomorrow. :)

Spinner
04-12-2011, 12:46 AM
For the fantasy fiction fans, I'm reading David Farland's "Runelords" series now. Halfway through book 3 of 8 (it's kind of 2 consecutive series, books 5-8 pick up a bit after book 4 finishes) and I'm really enjoying it. Interesting magic systems, people gain strength and abilities by taking "endowments" from others who donate their abilities to them. The hero's a bit of a sap, but the maniacally self-absorbed villain has at this point hit a crossroads and his decisions from now on should be quite interesting. I especially love how Myrrima is kind of kickass!

I need to modify my endorsement a bit. I'm still enjoying the story (almost finished with the 4th book, which ends the first half of the 8-book saga), but the crappy editing job isn't making it easy. I've dog-eared several pages with either grammar errors/typos or just mistakes in the story line. I have no idea how Farland himself didn't catch these (he teaches writing at BYU!), let alone the editors. He also lacks consistency in his verbiage. In some scenes he calls body parts/functions by their technical terms, others by slang. And there's no rhyme or reason why. Sometimes we get 'testicles', sometimes 'walnuts'. Geez...

Prancer
04-12-2011, 01:09 AM
That's cuz they know you're up there in your ivory tower, doing nothing productive. Oh, and you're overpaid. :P

Yeah? And? :confused:

I've dog-eared several pages with either grammar errors/typos or just mistakes in the story line. I have no idea how Farland himself didn't catch these (he teaches writing at BYU!), let alone the editors.

Well, a) it is very hard for people to identify their own errors, as they see what they expect to see and b) most authors are expected to copyedit their own work these days, which is a problem because of a).

Why are you desecrating a book dogearing pages? So you can reference them when you contact him to tell him his editing sucks? :lol: I can see your eye twitching from here. If he uses to phrase "loose weight," I will complain, too, just on principle.

I am reading some books about inflammation. It was interesting for a few days :shuffle:.