PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

rjblue
04-04-2011, 02:18 PM
For the fantasy fiction fans, I'm reading David Farland's "Runelords" series now....

Anyone else ever read these?I've been an avid reader of science/speculative fiction my whole life, but other than Tolkien and Burroughs, I've read very little fantasy. And then last year I got sucked into The Wheel of Time.

I think I'm going to try The Game of Thrones next. But I might pick up the Runelords series too. It's so easy to get series books now, with all the books on ABEbooks, and biblio.com.

cygnus
04-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Just found out that my favorite YA fantasy author died of cancer a few days ago. This makes me very sad. Everyone in my family loved her books, and the kids grew up with them. http://www.leemac.freeserve.co.uk/

RIP Diana Wynne Jones. :(

zaphyre14
04-04-2011, 03:34 PM
I spent the weekend in RetroVille; I reread what has to be my Favorite Silly Romantic Suspense Mystery of All Time: Elizabeth Peters' "Street of the Five Moons." I don't care how many times I read it, the chase scene through the fountains of the Italian gardens makes me laugh out loud every time. Now I just may have to go reread the entire series...

But I also have Saylor's "Murder on the Appian Way" started and I just bought the new J.D. Robb "Treachery in Death." So many books, so little time.....

rfisher
04-04-2011, 03:59 PM
The JD Robb is quite good. You know who the bad guys are right away. The book then focuses on how to catch them. My only complaint is the need to let us know what a sap Eve really is. Sometimes it seems that Robb slips back into her Robert's personna. She should try to keep that personality out of the Death series.

attyfan
04-04-2011, 04:04 PM
I spent the weekend in RetroVille; I reread what has to be my Favorite Silly Romantic Suspense Mystery of All Time: Elizabeth Peters' "Street of the Five Moons." I don't care how many times I read it, the chase scene through the fountains of the Italian gardens makes me laugh out loud every time. Now I just may have to go reread the entire series...

I think that Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series is a riot!

zaphyre14
04-04-2011, 07:23 PM
I think that Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series is a riot!

I like those too but it's the Vicky Bliss saga that I read over and over.

star_gazer11
04-06-2011, 02:51 AM
Now, a friend is raving about Iain Pears Stone's Fall and it's prequel. Has anyone read this?

I've read Stone's Fall - found myself skimming some of the financial details, but the ending is certainly :eek: if you can stick with it to the end. It also has an unusual structure - 3 different cities/time periods told in reverse chronological order.

What's the prequel? Didn't know it had one.

IceAlisa
04-06-2011, 02:55 AM
Thanks, interesting! No wonder--the friend who recommended this book is in finance.

vesperholly
04-06-2011, 05:35 AM
Just found out that my favorite YA fantasy author died of cancer a few days ago. This makes me very sad. Everyone in my family loved her books, and the kids grew up with them. http://www.leemac.freeserve.co.uk/

RIP Diana Wynne Jones. :(

OMG :( RIP. I LOVE her books. Conrad's Fate, A Tale of Time City, Howl's Moving Castle, Dogsbody ... all so fantastic.

Hopefully, my holy trinity of YA authors (Jones, Madeleine L'Engle and Lloyd Alexander) are having a drink together, wherever they may be.

Wyliefan
04-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Finished The Paris Wife (http://www.amazon.com/Paris-Wife-Novel-Paula-McLain/dp/0345521307). It was so good. Sad, but good. The writing is terrific. Everybody go get it! It almost made me want to read Hemingway again . . . ALMOST. :) (I know he's a genius, but he's never really been my style.)

Rukia
04-06-2011, 04:02 PM
I like those too but it's the Vicky Bliss saga that I read over and over.

My best friend in college and I loved Elizabeth Peters. I was an uber Amelia fan, while she loved Vicki most. We had very different personalities, so I almost feel like which you like more depends heavily on that. Radcliffe Emerson was my one true love for the longest...and then I married someone much more John Tregarth. Go figure.

dinakt
04-06-2011, 04:44 PM
The Mother's Recompense is really picking up. Thank you, Wyliefan and others who recommended it. Great story.

Now, a friend is raving about Iain Pears Stone's Fall and it's prequel. I am skeptical because this is the friend who about 15 years ago raved to my naive self about a certain author named Ayn Rand. :scream:

So now I don't know that I trust his taste. Has anyone read this?

I've read "Stone's Fall". Not sure what to tell you because I went in with great expectations: I absolutely loved his two other books I read- "The Dream of Scipio" ( which I highly recommend) and "The Instance of the Fingerpost" ( also highly recommend if you are into long historical mysteries, ala Umberto Eco). "The Dream of Scipio" is more accessible, but no less thought- provoking. Both books deal with how the same events- usually major historical events- can be viewed, reinterpreted and justified differently by different people. I love it.
Comparatively with the two novels I mentioned I thought "The Stone's Fall" was much weaker, although the idea is somewhat the same- events are presented from different people's perspective. It does deal a lot with finances, which is not my forte, so maybe that hasinfluences my opinion, but I generally feel it is a weaker novel. Also, in that novel a heroine is viewed solely from male protagonists eyes and is not- fleshed- out, but rather mysterious-beautiful-ornamental. It is not at all like that in previous novels.

Now, that Ayn Rand comments is curious. My republican uncle( an AynRander) loved "The Dream of Scipio" as much as I did. But I am a liberal and can't stand Rand's philosophy and writing (and disliked her way before I classified myself as liberal), so I don't think you have to like one author in order to like another.

Artemis@BC
04-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Finished The Paris Wife (http://www.amazon.com/Paris-Wife-Novel-Paula-McLain/dp/0345521307). It was so good. Sad, but good. The writing is terrific. Everybody go get it! It almost made me want to read Hemingway again . . . ALMOST. :) (I know he's a genius, but he's never really been my style.)

I'm in the library queue for that one, should be coming in soon. And I'm with you on Hemingway -- a big fat no thanks from me too.

dinakt
04-06-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm in the library queue for that one, should be coming in soon. And I'm with you on Hemingway -- a big fat no thanks from me too.

Me three on not feeling that much Hemingway love. But one big fat exception to it is "A Moveable Feast"- I absolutely love it. So will definitely pick up " A Paris Wife", thank you for recommendation.

PrincessLeppard
04-06-2011, 06:25 PM
My favorite Hemingway book is The Sun Also Rises. Genius.

Anyway, in a completely different literary style, I'm reading Dying to Live, a zombie novel. Well, I was reading it. I usually read for about thirty minutes in bed. Since this book scared the crap out of me, it is just sort of sitting there....:shuffle:

I'm flying to Denver on Friday. I'll read it in the airport. :)