PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

IceAlisa
03-31-2011, 03:13 AM
The Mother's Recompense began picking up as soon as the heroine landed State-side. I know the storyline but am intrigued as to what happens next.

What should I read after this:

Apollo's Angels: A history of ballet (http://www.amazon.com/Apollos-Angels-History-Jennifer-Homans/dp/1400060605/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301537848&sr=1-1)
or
Becoming Jane Eyre (http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Jane-Eyre-Penguin-Original/dp/0143115979/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301537898&sr=1-1)
or
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Jane-Eyre-Penguin-Original/dp/0143115979/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301537898&sr=1-1)
or
The Emperor of All Maladies (http://www.amazon.com/Emperor-All-Maladies-Biography-Cancer/dp/1439107955/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301538004&sr=1-1)?

Spinner
03-31-2011, 03:55 AM
The Mother's Recompense began picking up as soon as the heroine landed State-side. I know the storyline but am intrigued as to what happens next.

What should I read after this:

Apollo's Angels: A history of ballet (http://www.amazon.com/Apollos-Angels-History-Jennifer-Homans/dp/1400060605/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301537848&sr=1-1)
or
Becoming Jane Eyre (http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Jane-Eyre-Penguin-Original/dp/0143115979/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301537898&sr=1-1)
or
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Jane-Eyre-Penguin-Original/dp/0143115979/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301537898&sr=1-1)
or
The Emperor of All Maladies (http://www.amazon.com/Emperor-All-Maladies-Biography-Cancer/dp/1439107955/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301538004&sr=1-1)?

Henrietta Lacks. I'm not usually one for non-fiction, but this story is riveting. I get to meet Rebecca Skloot in May! Totally getting my hardcover signed!

IceAlisa
03-31-2011, 03:56 AM
Ooooh, lucky you! :) I like certain kinds of non-fiction and this one is definitely right up my alley.

Stefanie
04-01-2011, 06:01 PM
I just finished Elizabeth Gilbert's Committed; I actually liked this book better than Eat, Pray, Love, even though I realize they are quite different. I like how she explained some of the history of marriage and how other non-Western cultures view it, all while weaving in her own story about she eventually decided to get married again (despite once having promised herself that she never would do it again). And she also had a few pages about childless women and a viewpoint on why the world does need them.

Now I'm on to Travels in Siberia by Ian Frazier. I only read five pages last night before surrendering to sleep. I can't wait to get into it this weekend.

Evilynn
04-01-2011, 06:32 PM
More rumours of a fourth "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" book

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jacketcopy/2011/03/rumors-of-the-fourth-the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo-book-surface.html?cid=6a00d8341c630a53ef014e602bafc2970 c

There have been rumours that Gabrielsson helped Larsson out quite a lot with the first three, so I suppose she could potentially finish a manuscript if there is one that is unfinished. The whole mess surrounding Larsson's estate has been quite unsightly. :/

I finally finished Foucault's Pendulum! :cheer2: It took me almost a full month, but it was totally worth slogging through, even if I suspect I could spend the better part of a year analyzing it.

I've now picked up the only China Miéville book I haven't read yet, his first, King Rat, thinking it'd be nice to read something where I don't have to look things up on Wikipedia all the time, only to run straight into more Cockney than I can handle. :lol: I'm very, very tempted to re-read A Game of Thrones before the TV series start, so I might start reading them in parallel.

dst7star
04-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Finished Chelsea Cain's The Night Season. Anxiously waiting for the next book in the series. Susan's character seems to be growing and the drug lord's lawyer/son is not what he appeared to be in Evil At Heart. Gretchen didn't show up until the end of the book, so the next book will probably be more Gretchen centric.

Picked up Live Wire as I love all things Harlan Coben. Someone at work gave me T is for Trespass by Sue Grafton. Trying to finish that before I start another book. A bit difficult to get into, but I want to at least finish it.

rfisher
04-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Finished Chelsea Cain's The Night Season. Anxiously waiting for the next book in the series. Susan's character seems to be growing and the drug lord's lawyer/son is not what he appeared to be in Evil At Heart. Gretchen didn't show up until the end of the book, so the next book will probably be more Gretchen centric.

You actually LIKE Cain's work? ::backs away slowly from the serial killer in training:: Cain has a twisted dark side. She blames it on seeing a prenatal film before the birth of her daughter, but I don't believe it. I suspect she's always been twisted. And I despise Archie. He became totally unsympathetic in the 2nd book.

dst7star
04-03-2011, 03:42 AM
You actually LIKE Cain's work? ::backs away slowly from the serial killer in training:: Cain has a twisted dark side. She blames it on seeing a prenatal film before the birth of her daughter, but I don't believe it. I suspect she's always been twisted. And I despise Archie. He became totally unsympathetic in the 2nd book.

LOL Cute. I can't watch blood being drawn from my arm so I think the serial killer in training might be a stretch. At least for now. :shuffle:

Yes, I do like Cain's Beauty Killer series. Susan is quirky and her mom Bliss is a hoot. Archie is a confused, flawed man. (We hope we never become that flawed ourselves.) If you read the last few pages of The Night Season, perhaps you can see a glimpse of Archie coming back into his own. Of course Gretchen can't give up her control of Archie so I think the next book will be interesting.

I hope Cain's dark side is an active imagination. Sort of an embodiment of Stephen King's characters in The Dark Half and Secret Window,Secret Garden.

IceAlisa
04-03-2011, 09:36 PM
The Mother's Recompense is really picking up. Thank you, Wyliefan and others who recommended it. Great story.

Now, a friend is raving about Iain Pears Stone's Fall and it's prequel. I am skeptical because this is the friend who about 15 years ago raved to my naive self about a certain author named Ayn Rand. :scream:

So now I don't know that I trust his taste. Has anyone read this?

rfisher
04-03-2011, 11:26 PM
I bought Jean Auel's The Land of the Painted Caves. I knew it was going to be :yawn: as the previous two were, but she's really outdone herself (or her son has since the rumor is he's written the last 3 books). It's over 700 pages, but it'll be a fast read because you can just skip 90% as either recycled from previous books or endless pages of drivel. I'm seriously thinking about returning it to Borders and getting my money back. And it has the most unclimatic end you can imagine. Another good hint that the old girl hasn't written a word of this. We saw that scene in the 3rd book.

Wyliefan
04-03-2011, 11:56 PM
The Mother's Recompense is really picking up. Thank you, Wyliefan and others who recommended it. Great story.

Glad you like it! IMO, you can't go wrong with Wharton. I know some will disagree with that, but I've loved everything of hers that I've read.

IceAlisa
04-04-2011, 01:14 AM
Glad you like it! IMO, you can't go wrong with Wharton. I know some will disagree with that, but I've loved everything of hers that I've read.

This is my third Wharton and I love it. But I do sometimes want to shake her heroines (Lily Bart and now Kate) in frustration with their inevitable self-destruction. Of course it's easy for my to say from the position of our relative freedoms and enlightenment but still.

smurfy
04-04-2011, 01:58 AM
I bought Jean Auel's The Land of the Painted Caves. I knew it was going to be :yawn: as the previous two were, but she's really outdone herself (or her son has since the rumor is he's written the last 3 books). It's over 700 pages, but it'll be a fast read because you can just skip 90% as either recycled from previous books or endless pages of drivel. I'm seriously thinking about returning it to Borders and getting my money back. And it has the most unclimatic end you can imagine. Another good hint that the old girl hasn't written a word of this. We saw that scene in the 3rd book.

Thanks. I loved this series in the beginning, but the wait since the early 90s. For the last one and this one, aarrgh. The early ones put you in another word and the last one was a yawner. I love series like these though.

Wyliefan
04-04-2011, 02:49 AM
This is my third Wharton and I love it. But I do sometimes want to shake her heroines (Lily Bart and now Kate) in frustration with their inevitable self-destruction. Of course it's easy for my to say from the position of our relative freedoms and enlightenment but still.

:lol: I adore Lily, but even I want to shake her sometimes.

Grannyfan
04-04-2011, 03:29 AM
I just ordered Between Shades of Gray, by Ruta Sepetys. Has anyone read it?