PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

immoimeme
03-28-2011, 08:31 PM
I decided to give Dennis Lehane another try. The library did not have "Shutter Island" so I got "Mystic River," even tho I did not especially like the film of it. Well. Oh my. I sat up all night last night reading "Mystic River." It is way hella good!! So good in fact I decided to read it again immediately.

emason
03-28-2011, 08:36 PM
You can safely skip this movie. It was seriously ZZZZZZZZZZZ

Oh, no it was not. It's a great modern film noir.

Artemis@BC
03-28-2011, 09:03 PM
You can safely skip this movie (The Grifters). It was seriously ZZZZZZZZZZZ

Wow, I could not disagree more. That movie put the "thrill" in thriller -- amazing script & direction, and pitch-perfect acting.

Haven't read the book, though, so can't comment on how it compares.

rfisher
03-29-2011, 03:31 AM
Chelsea Cain (http://freshfiction.com/page.php?id=3162) explains why she created Gretchen and Archie. She blames it on child birth classes. Okay. Nobody go to that hospital.

Mozart
03-29-2011, 02:13 PM
More rumours of a fourth "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" book

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jacketcopy/2011/03/rumors-of-the-fourth-the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo-book-surface.html?cid=6a00d8341c630a53ef014e602bafc2970 c

zaphyre14
03-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Lots of driving time this weekend so I'm done with Kellerman's "The Web" (seriously creepy) and almost done with "Survival of the Fittest" (pretty tame and kinda dated) with "Gone" on deck.

I also finished Saylor's "The Venus Throw" over the weekend and because I'd left the next one in the series in the trunk of my car and it was too late and too cold to go out and get it, I started one of the bargain books I picked up a couple weeks ago at the used bookstore - a medieval mystery by Edward Marston called "The Dragons of Archenfield>" It's a little choppy and jumps between too many POVs for my taste but the mystery is decent.

Matryeshka
03-29-2011, 06:30 PM
I just finished The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen. I don't know if this book isn't as good as her others, or it's too similar to the others--small town in North Carolina, magical realism, two women with seemingly dispirate values/outlooks strike an enduring friendship. I'm glad I read it--though I wish I would have waited for paperback--but I think Allen is taking write what you know a little too far. Seriously, how many Asheville-like towns in North Carolina where both the place and the people have magical abilities could there possibly be?

Artemis@BC
03-29-2011, 09:28 PM
More rumours of a fourth "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" book

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jacketcopy/2011/03/rumors-of-the-fourth-the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo-book-surface.html?cid=6a00d8341c630a53ef014e602bafc2970 c

Interesting. I'm not normally a fan of series that continue after the author's death, but if the manuscript is mostly finished already ... And on the financial side, if it benefits Gabrielsson (who's been basically cut out of all the money the series has made), that would be a good thing too.

Interesting effect on the film franchise, though: Camilla wasn't mentioned at all in the film trilogy (which made sense, since she played no part in the plotlines), so bringing her in for a fourth movie would smack a bit of a convenient plot twist.

IceAlisa
03-29-2011, 09:57 PM
I would love to read the 4th book. I love the series. :)

immoimeme
03-30-2011, 05:08 AM
If "The Grifters" was so great, explain to me how, despite this being a Scorsese film, and me being a really big fan of Scorsese, I ABSOLUTELY could not manage to stay awake to watch it all the way thru, despite the fact I tried to do this 3 or 4 times. It was boring as hell and needlessly convoluted.

VIETgrlTerifa
03-30-2011, 06:27 AM
True Grit was an absolutely beautiful novel. Why Charles Portis isn't a better known writer, I don't know. You absolutely get a sense of Post-Civil War border state and the Wild West. The character of Mattie Ross is one of the best literary characters I've read. It's written in first-person, but Portis wisely chooses to write it in a memoir style, so it has the feeling of someone telling us an interesting, personal account.

I also recommend The Littlest Hitler by Ryan Boudinot. It may not be to everyone's liking, but the off-kilter short stories are set in a strange, vivid, and almost surrealist world of Ryan Boudinot. The stories are very entertaining and I found myself laughing out-loud throughout. The first short story is about a little boy who decides to dress up as Hitler for Halloween, and let's just it's the most "normal" out of all the stories.

PrincessLeppard
03-30-2011, 12:13 PM
I also recommend The Littlest Hitler by Ryan Boudinot. It may not be to everyone's liking, but the off-kilter short stories are set in a strange, vivid, and almost surrealist world of Ryan Boudinot. The stories are very entertaining and I found myself laughing out-loud throughout. The first short story is about a little boy who decides to dress up as Hitler for Halloween, and let's just it's the most "normal" out of all the stories.

I've had this book for over a year and haven't read it yet. Maybe I'll move it up the pile. Thanks!

emason
03-30-2011, 02:12 PM
If "The Grifters" was so great, explain to me how, despite this being a Scorsese film, and me being a really big fan of Scorsese, I ABSOLUTELY could not manage to stay awake to watch it all the way thru, despite the fact I tried to do this 3 or 4 times. It was boring as hell and needlessly convoluted.

It's not a Scorsese film; it's directed by Stephen Frears.

ETA: I see Scorsese was one of the producers, but, really, it's Frears' film, not Scorsese's.

Spinner
03-30-2011, 04:17 PM
For the fantasy fiction fans, I'm reading David Farland's "Runelords" series now. Halfway through book 3 of 8 (it's kind of 2 consecutive series, books 5-8 pick up a bit after book 4 finishes) and I'm really enjoying it. Interesting magic systems, people gain strength and abilities by taking "endowments" from others who donate their abilities to them. The hero's a bit of a sap, but the maniacally self-absorbed villain has at this point hit a crossroads and his decisions from now on should be quite interesting. I especially love how Myrrima is kind of kickass!

Anyone else ever read these?

VIETgrlTerifa
03-30-2011, 07:22 PM
I've had this book for over a year and haven't read it yet. Maybe I'll move it up the pile. Thanks!

You totally have to, so we can talk about it. I read it for a book club and we all had a great time with it.