PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Allen
12-28-2010, 12:36 PM
I went crazy on the Kindle for MAC app last night and download about 20 free books. Looks like I'll be catching up on the classics for the next little while. I did also download David Mitchell's The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet. Has anyone else read that one?

I finished Hamilton's Guilty Pleasures last night and I liked it, but I'm not sure I liked it enough to read 7 more books. Especially now that I've simultaneously discovered Good Reads and the Kindle app for MAC. I'm thinking about starting a challenge on the Contemporary Chunksters group to read the Lord of the Rings trilogy. They have it spaced out between now and May, which seems like a bit of a long time for me, but I thought it still might be fun. I'm also doing one on Emma Donoghue's Room.

zaphyre14
12-28-2010, 01:53 PM
As the Representative for Trashy Reading here, I eschew anything remotely literary and so spent my weekend reading Mary Balogh's Regencies "A Christmas Promise" and "A Matter of Class." I'd recommend both, if that's your fancy; Balogh has a knack for creating realistic characters and stepping just to the side of the traditional Regionacy format.

I have Nelson DeMille's "Wild Fire" going on audio in the car. It seems interminable but I do want to know how it ends so I keep plodding along with it.

Wyliefan
12-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Just finished a Plantagenet/Tudor binge that started early this month ... one about Eleanor Talbot (whose relationship to Edward IV may have rendered his marriage to Elizabeth Woodville invalid, making the children illegitimate); one on Richard III and Hastings; Eric Ives' "Life and Death of Anne Boleyn" and "Lady Jane Grey", along with Alison Plowden's "Danger to Elizabeth" and "Two Queens in One Isle".

That sounds like a great binge! Which one did you like best?

Grannyfan
12-28-2010, 03:51 PM
I'm reading Laura Hillenbrand's new book, Unbroken. It's an amazing WWII survival story.

my little pony
12-28-2010, 05:21 PM
the mailman just brought a copy of the autobiography of pursemaker Roberta Di Camerino, I waited a long time for it. it's in Italian so it will probably take me a while.

immoimeme
12-29-2010, 02:01 AM
I had no idea I had requested "Free For All: Fixing School Food in America" but the library said I did so I went and got it. It's by Janet Poppendieck and I thank my lucky stars that is not my last name.

Southpaw
12-29-2010, 02:10 AM
I did also download David Mitchell's The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet. Has anyone else read that one?

I got it for Christmas! :cheer:

The guy who gave it to me said it was his favorite book this year, and he's fiction aloof so there ya go. ;)

Spinner
12-29-2010, 02:42 AM
I just finished Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Shadow of the Wind yesterday and I'm still breathless. We've all read books you can devour in one sitting or those you force yourself to plod through bits at a time because they're either difficult or not good, but neither holds true here. It's best savored and slowly digested. Set in Barcelona after the Spanish Civil War, it's a masterwork of intrigue, suspense, mystery, romance, murder and adventure that I can best liken to sort of a Neverending Story for adults.

Its main character, a young Daniel Sempere, is taken by his father to the secretive Cemetery of Forgotten Books where tradition holds that upon your first time entering you must choose one book and protect it for life. He happens upon Julian Carax's The Shadow of the Wind as his selection. That night he becomes so engrossed in the story he barrels through it in one sitting. As he tries to find more books by Carax, he happens upon the mystery of a strange character who is also seeking Carax's books--every copy possible--to burn them. The story unfolds from there and oh, what a ride!

I'm now on his next book, The Angel's Game, a sort-of prequel to Shadow set a decade earlier. As I mentioned in the previous thread, I haven't happened upon such amazing writing in a long time. Kudos to Lucia Graves as well who translated his books from Spanish.

attyfan
12-29-2010, 02:53 AM
That sounds like a great binge! Which one did you like best?

Eric Ives's book on Anne Boleyn ... some interesting reasons behind her fall.

Prancer
12-29-2010, 04:06 AM
A question for those of you who have e-readers:

When I read a book, I prepare to turn the page when I get about, oh, 3/4s of the way down the page. I slide my index finger in there and get ready to turn when I have three or four words to go.

Common, right?

Well, I find myself doing this on my e-reader. I obviously can't get my finger under the page, but I keep TRYING to get my finger under the page, which makes the page flip when I am not done reading it yet.

This is driving me CRAZY. Am I going to stop doing this soon?

Otherwise, I am loving my reader and think that my husband's dream of me not piling books on every available surface just might come true.

Allen
12-29-2010, 08:00 PM
I am about 1/3 through The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet. It is fabulous, but is definitely slow going. I also started reading Patti Smith's autobiographical Just Kids, which I also love and is an extremely quick read. Next up is Hilary Thayer Hamann's Anthropology of an American Girl.

Southpaw
12-29-2010, 08:47 PM
I also started reading Patti Smith's autobiographical Just Kids, which I also love and is an extremely quick read.

I was just looking through that one yesterday. Looks good!

Grannyfan
12-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Finished Unbroken and have started The Distant Hours by Kate Morton. I'm hoping it's as good as The House at Riverton, which I absolutely loved.

genevieve
12-29-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm still stuck halfway through the Lethem book, ...

Which one? I still haven't read Chronic City. I bought it well over a year ago now! :shuffle:

Just started Sarah Waters' The Night Watch. I'm not far enough into it to have an opinion, but I really like her writing.

LilJen
12-30-2010, 02:14 AM
A question for those of you who have e-readers:

When I read a book, I prepare to turn the page when I get about, oh, 3/4s of the way down the page. I slide my index finger in there and get ready to turn when I have three or four words to go.

Common, right?

Well, I find myself doing this on my e-reader. I obviously can't get my finger under the page, but I keep TRYING to get my finger under the page, which makes the page flip when I am not done reading it yet.

This is driving me CRAZY. Am I going to stop doing this soon?

Otherwise, I am loving my reader and think that my husband's dream of me not piling books on every available surface just might come true.

My problem is pushing the RH button to go forward, and then if I change my mind and want to go back, I push the LH button. . .only there are BOTH forward and backward buttons on both sides (I have a Kindle), so I end up even further ahead than I meant to be! I think I'll get used to it but for now I'm loving how much smaller it is than the two bulky books I am reading.