PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Nan
03-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Has anyone here read any Jim Thompson novels?

I just ordered "Snow Angels" from Amazon. It looks good, but it hasn't arrived so I can't say one way or the other. I should be done with what I'm reading now by the time it gets to the house, I'll let you know as soon as I can get it started.

Southpaw
03-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Has anyone here read any Jim Thompson novels? I just watched "The Killer Inside Me" and really liked the movie which is based on his book by the same name. It seems a lot of his stuff is similar and I think I might like a few but was hoping someone here could tell me if it is worth the investment or not.

I read Jim Thompson about 20 years ago. Good stuff. The movie "The Grifters" is also based on one of his novels.

Grannyfan
03-18-2011, 07:06 PM
I just read that Jennifer Lawrence has been chosen for the lead role in The Hunger Games movie. I haven't read those books, but I know many of you have.

rfisher
03-18-2011, 07:10 PM
I just read that Jennifer Lawrence has been chosen for the lead role in The Hunger Games movie. I haven't read those books, but I know many of you have.

Book one is excellent. Book two is OK. Book three sucks. Hopefully, the movies will stick with just book 1.

Wyliefan
03-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Odd, I thought Hailee Steinfeld was the frontrunner.

PrincessLeppard
03-18-2011, 09:23 PM
I don't know who either of those actresses are. So that's actually probably okay.

They should let me do the screenplay for the last book. I can fix it. :saint:

IceAlisa
03-18-2011, 09:28 PM
Jane Austen is the best psychotherapist ever. Mini Ice woke me up last night because he just had to go pee in our master bathroom, not the one in the hallway. I had trouble going back to sleep, worrying about this, that and the other thing.

But a few paragraphs of Emma and peace is restored. :yawn:

Prancer
03-18-2011, 10:31 PM
I don't know who either of those actresses are. So that's actually probably okay.

Jennifer Lawrence was in Winter's Bone. I think she'll be very good in the part. She does both fierce and vulnerable well.

jen_faith
03-18-2011, 10:38 PM
I am trying, really really trying, to read the Wheel of Time books because it is a well known fantasy series and I want to see what all the fuss is about. I just can't really get into it. It's just a bit too cheesy.

On the other hand, am I the only dork around who is super-excited for HBO's upcoming Game of Thrones? Read the books recently and really didn't mind them too much. High fantasy, yes, but not too much cheese.

rjblue
03-19-2011, 12:56 AM
I am trying, really really trying, to read the Wheel of Time books because it is a well known fantasy series and I want to see what all the fuss is about. I just can't really get into it. It's just a bit too cheesy.
Give up. If you didn't fall in love with Matt and Moiraine in The Eye of the World, and at least enjoy the fact that Jordan describes the garments and appearance of every single being ever mentioned in the books, then the later books wouldn't just be cheesy to you, they'd be unendurable.

oleada
03-19-2011, 01:10 AM
I was not thrilled with the choice, initially, but Lawrence seems like such a good actress that I've come around. I hope the cast an equally good actor as Peeta.

Here's an interview with director Gary Ross:
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/03/17/hunger-games-gary-ross-jennifer-lawrence/

dramagrrl
03-19-2011, 06:16 AM
Book one is excellent. Book two is OK. Book three sucks. Hopefully, the movies will stick with just book 1.
Apparently the intent is that they will film three movies, one for each book. Obviously I'm sure this is partly dependent on how much the first film grosses, but given the popularity of the books and with an actress like Jennifer Lawrence in the main role, they shouldn't have much trouble creating a blockbuster. I am a little concerned with some of the names that have been floating around for Peeta, though - Alex Pettyfer (of I Am Number Four) is rumoured to be the main contender so far, and I just don't see him as Peeta at all. He'd be much better in the other role he's apparently considering at the moment - Jace in the movie adaptations of Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments trilogy, a much fluffier, soapier, more Twilight-esque (ugh) YA series.

I agree with rfisher to a certain extent - I thought The Hunger Games was the strongest book of the trilogy and I had some pretty big problems with Mockingjay. I did think Catching Fire was better than just "okay", though, and if I consider all three books as a trilogy rather than separate entities, I thought the entire cycle was quite lovely and definitely worth reading.

vesperholly
03-19-2011, 06:44 AM
Cold Comfort Farm is a hoot, especially if you're familiar with Lawrence and Hardy's novels.

I really liked Tess of the D'Urbervilles, but I haven't read any DH Lawrence. I just reached the point where Flora arrived at the farm and met Seth and Reuben :lol:

VIETgrlTerifa
03-19-2011, 07:26 AM
I just started True Grit by Charles Portis and am loving every minute of it. I'll let know you what I think after I finish it.

A quote regarding the book by Roy Blount Jr. says that Portis "could be Cormac McCarthy if he wanted to, but he'd rather be funny." From the beginning, I see his point.

TygerLily
03-19-2011, 07:05 PM
But a few paragraphs of Emma and peace is restored. :yawn:Sense and Sensibility helped me with several bouts of insomnia in high school... :slinkaway

I'm a weirdo: I liked all three books in the Hunger Games trilogy. I loved the first the most and the others in decreasing amounts, but I loved the whole series as a whole.

I've never seen Pettyfer(sp?) act, but just from the celebrity gossip out there, I'm not thrilled with the idea of him as Peeta. But maybe he can act.