PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

BrokenAnkle
03-13-2011, 10:45 PM
Smith has so many books in print and has written across so many genres that I can't believe anyone hasn't heard of her :P, but you're the first person I've come across who has. Totally agree about her early books being the best; I am smiling right now thinking of all everyone running around trying to dig up Aunt Sophie's body behind everyone else's backs and Daphne delivering a crushing setdown to the Duke of Felix. I read one of Smith's later ones a while back and was rather meh. Her mysteries aren't great, but they aren't too bad, either.

Do you like Todd's Bess Crawford series? I have one on the to-be-read shelf.

I haven't tried the Bess Crawford ones yet but I plan to. They sound like they will have the same strengths I like in the Ian Rutledge ones. It's unusual for me to like books without much humor them but I like these very much.

Another Joan Smith that makes me smile is Sweet and Twenty, which has a hilarious election in it. Too bad the title is so awful.

vesperholly
03-13-2011, 11:57 PM
I attempted to read The Book Thief, but gave up after about 140 pages. The whole

***** A NOTE ABOUT LIESEL *****
She likes to wear red.
And also, she snores at night.

drove me absolutely bonkers. Every time I encountered one of those (and there are many), the reading flow came to a screeching halt. :revenge: The pacing was way too slow for me.

My mom just donated a stack of her book club books to me, and I ate up Water for Elephants in two days. Loved it! I can't wait for the movie.

I just started Cold Comfort Farm, which is good so far.

PrincessLeppard
03-14-2011, 12:50 AM
I love that book. :drama:

Erin
03-14-2011, 02:15 AM
My mom just donated a stack of her book club books to me, and I ate up Water for Elephants in two days. Loved it! I can't wait for the movie.

Loved this one too - interestingly, also donated to me by someone who read it in a book club.

Based on the comments hear, I might give Pillars of the Earth a pass. I'll need to figure out something else to read soon though...

Andrushka
03-14-2011, 02:30 AM
:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I've read those books I don't know how many times. Started when I was eight. They've gotten me through many, many bad times. "Love" doesn't begin to express my feelings for Narnia.

-Bridget

I love the Narnia books...they are so,exciting that it keeps you turning the pages.I read the first one and the second in a few days.

vesperholly
03-14-2011, 03:03 AM
I love that book. :drama:

I tried! I really did! When I was a teenager, I loved young adult Holocaust lit like The Devil's Arithmetic and Number the Stars, so I figured this would be perfect for me. Just couldn't do it ... :slinkaway

RockTheTassel
03-14-2011, 03:24 AM
I attempted to read The Book Thief, but gave up after about 140 pages. The whole

***** A NOTE ABOUT LIESEL *****
She likes to wear red.
And also, she snores at night.

drove me absolutely bonkers. Every time I encountered one of those (and there are many), the reading flow came to a screeching halt. :revenge: The pacing was way too slow for me.

I'm someone who loved The Book Thief the first time through, but looking back, the author does use a lot of gimmicks like that. I've only read it once, but I have the feeling that I wouldn't be nearly as impressed if I read it again.

I've noticed that using different fonts, roman numerals, crossing out words, and inserting distracting, out of place illustrations has become trendy in modern books, especially young adult fiction. It doesn't annoy me too much, but most of the time I wish the author would just focus on writing an original, well-written story instead of relying on tricks.

Spinner
03-14-2011, 03:59 AM
I tried! I really did! When I was a teenager, I loved young adult Holocaust lit like The Devil's Arithmetic and Number the Stars, so I figured this would be perfect for me. Just couldn't do it ... :slinkaway

140 pages isn't really giving it its due, there are some truly wonderful parts further in. I also LOVE this book--one of my faves. I didn't mind the asides as it made sense to me with the first person narrative; death was telling his story. The part called "Death's Diaries" requires tissues--the section with Death's first time to Auschwitz hits you in the gut.

Spinner
03-14-2011, 04:04 AM
I'll need to figure out something else to read soon though...

Pick up Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Shadow of the Wind (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Shadow-of-the-Wind/Carlos-Ruiz-Zafon/e/9780143034902/?itm=2&USRI=the+shadow+of+the+wind). I guarantee you will LOVE IT. It's a dark, film noir sort of tale set in post-Spanish civil war Barcelona. Once young Daniel's father (a bookstore owner) takes him to The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, he finds a book called The Shadow of the Wind. After tearing through it in one night, he wants to find more works by the author. He finds out that someone else is also looking for the author's books and destroying all of them. Daniel then becomes tangled up in the fantastic tale of suspense, mystery, fantasy and a bit of romance surrounding the book's author. All I'll say on top of that is this book will change the way you love books. It's just amazing.

zaphyre14
03-14-2011, 02:01 PM
For Regencies, I'm a Mary Jo Putney fan and Jo Beverly, although she's gotten predictable in the most recent ones. Edith Layton has some decent ones, too. For total froth, try Marian Chesney. Every cliche ever imagined goes into her books,they take about twenty minutes to whip through and you forget about them 10 minutes afterward but they're like bon-bons for me.

Did Patricia Veryan die? I thought it was her daughter who died of cancer and Veryan just collapsed and said she'd lost all heart to write and so retired. I really liked her Gerorgian series.

I finished the trio of Kellermans I had in the car with "The Clinic." The third tape was broken so I skipped straight to the fourth and don't think I missed much. The reader, though was marvelous. I'm now back to Alexander McCall Smith and "Morality for Beautiful Girls."

I also managed a side trip to a neat used bookstore and picked up a bag of older books I was looked for, and then I swung into Borders and found a couple newer ones to cross off my shopping list.

rfisher
03-14-2011, 02:30 PM
For Regencies, I'm a Mary Jo Putney fan and Jo Beverly, although she's gotten predictable in the most recent ones. Edith Layton has some decent ones, too. For total froth, try Marian Chesney. Every cliche ever imagined goes into her books,they take about twenty minutes to whip through and you forget about them 10 minutes afterward but they're like bon-bons for me.

Did Patricia Veryan die? I thought it was her daughter who died of cancer and Veryan just collapsed and said she'd lost all heart to write and so retired. I really liked her Gerorgian series.

I finished the trio of Kellermans I had in the car with "The Clinic." The third tape was broken so I skipped straight to the fourth and don't think I missed much. The reader, though was marvelous. I'm now back to Alexander McCall Smith and "Morality for Beautiful Girls."

I also managed a side trip to a neat used bookstore and picked up a bag of older books I was looked for, and then I swung into Borders and found a couple newer ones to cross off my shopping list.

I think the new AMS book comes out this week. I loved Morality for Beautiful Girls. Violet is a wonderful semi-villain.

star_gazer11
03-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Not regency, but a victorian romance - Desire Me by Robyn Dehart. I'll admit the Atlantis angle was the hook in my picking it up. It was okay, I didn't really like how things were wrapped up.

Wyliefan
03-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Kathryn Stockett, author of The Help, is being sued by her brother's maid (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/18/books/18help.html) for "unpermitted appropriation of her name and image." Awkward. :( The NYT doesn't seem to have talked with Stockett, so I'm not sure what her side of the story is.

BigB08822
03-18-2011, 06:44 AM
Has anyone here read any Jim Thompson novels? I just watched "The Killer Inside Me" and really liked the movie which is based on his book by the same name. It seems a lot of his stuff is similar and I think I might like a few but was hoping someone here could tell me if it is worth the investment or not.

orientalplane
03-18-2011, 01:07 PM
I just started Cold Comfort Farm, which is good so far.

Cold Comfort Farm is a hoot, especially if you're familiar with Lawrence and Hardy's novels.