PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Spinner
03-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Barnes & Noble just announced on its Facebook page an actual release date for George RR Martin's A Dance With Dragons (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/A-Dance-with-Dragons/George-R-R-Martin/e/9780553801477/?itm=1&USRI=a+dance+with+dragons+by+george+r.r.+martin&cm_mmc=Facebook-_-BN-_-product_page-_-dance_with_dragons), the 5th in the "A Song of Fire and Ice" series--July 12 of this year. With as many times as it's been pushed back before, I know many fans won't be holding their breath.

Spinner
03-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Started Leila Aboulela's Lyrics Alley last night. Only a bit into it and enjoying it so far. I did find an ugly typo though. On the page that lists other books by her, it has one as "The Tranlator" instead of "The Translator". Normally it'd be no biggie, but this is the title of her book! :eek: I'm going to email the publisher about it.

IceAlisa
03-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Reading The Poisoner's Handbook about the nascent science of forensic toxicology in the early 20th century US. Fun!

immoimeme
03-05-2011, 10:41 PM
In the spirit of trying something new, I checked out "Moonlight Mile" by Dennis ...er, whatsit--the guy who wrote "Shutter Island." Anyways, is this how he writes all his books or is this because it's a continuation of "Gone, Baby, Gone" which I have never read nor seen the movie. I'm not sure I like it but I'll keep reading it til I can decide yes, I like it, or no, I don't.

IceAlisa
03-06-2011, 03:53 AM
I am peeved. The Poisoner's Handbook is going well, interesting historical tidbits about different poisons, their actions and detection, etc. It's all good.

The book is organized by chapters named after the poisons. There's Cyanides and Arsenic and Carbon Monoxide I and II chapters. That's all fine and good.

There are also Wood Alcohol and Methyl Alcohol chapters, 2 and 7 respectively. If I recall my organic chemistry correctly, wood alcohol, methyl alcohol and methanol are one and the same, CH3OH.

WTH? Why does this merit two chapters under different names? Both chapters cover the same issue, the contamination of bootlegged alcohol by methanol during the Prohibition. So why two different chapters and two different monikers for the same thing? Why not Methanol I and II? :confused:

Found this review on amazon, by a biochemist who picked up a lot more mistakes than I did: http://www.amazon.com/review/R2A40ZVQPRDWXC/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R2A40ZVQPRDWXC

:yikes: Really, if you are not a chemist and are planning to write a book on forensic toxicology, wouldn't it be prudent to have a professional take a look? I'll keep reading just to see how much chemistry I remember. :lol:

Grannyfan
03-06-2011, 08:25 PM
I am peeved. The Poisoner's Handbook is going well, interesting historical tidbits about different poisons, their actions and detection, etc. It's all good.:

This reminds me of a book I read a while back, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, which I may have mentioned before. It's a mystery with a pre-teenage protagonist named Flavia who is a chemistry freak, especially about poisons. I really enjoyed it, and I think there's a sequel, but I haven't read it yet.

IceAlisa
03-06-2011, 08:29 PM
I've read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie and think that Flavia would have not made these mistakes. :P

ETA:
Wheee!! I got an amazon gift card for my birthday and this is how I spent it:

"The Mother's Recompense"
Edith Wharton; Paperback

"Twilight Sleep"
Edith Wharton; Paperback

"The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks"
Rebecca Skloot; Paperback

"Apollo's Angels: A History of Ballet"
Jennifer Homans; Hardcover

"The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer"
Siddhartha Mukherjee; Hardcover

:) :) :)

Matryeshka
03-06-2011, 09:08 PM
I read the sequel--The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Purse. It did not live up to the first one, but I did re-read it and liked it better the second time. The third one is A Red Herring Without Mustard--I'm getting it for my birthday. I'll report when I'm done with it. I'm pretty sure my dad is reading it right now. :lol:

I finally slogged my way through The Sentry. I actually liked the mystery OK and loved the werewolf assassin (and zombie hunter) who had his own Crazy Voice Choir following him around, but I hated Pike and Cole in this story. They were more like 14 year olds than adults. At one point I wanted to smack them both and scream grow up (or come out of the closet. Pike and Cole slash fic, anyone?). The fact that Dru was Not A Sweet And Innocent Angel was telegraphed from the moon...but Pike had to protect her anyway! Because he has honor! He gave her his word! :drama:

Rex
03-06-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm throwing away all of my E. Lynn Harris novels 'cause I realize what a crappy writer he was. It was so refreshing at the time for someone to write books about the black gay/bisexual experience, but his writing style was pretty bad.

RIP, dude, but your books stunk.

And there is nothing I want to read as of late. I just finished Kitty Kelley's Oprah bio. Lots of dish, but basically crap writing.

immoimeme
03-06-2011, 11:59 PM
I finished "Moonlight Mile." It picked up after 90 pages. It wasn't too bad but it's what I call a throwaway book: read it once, throw it away. Sad, sad-- cover price of $26.99 and in the end it's best thrown away. To me that sez something not so good about the state of books today.

Up next: "Rescue," by Anita Shreve. Let's see if I can read past the first five pages, unlike her last book ahem...

Spinner
03-07-2011, 01:00 AM
I'm throwing away all of my E. Lynn Harris novels 'cause I realize what a crappy writer he was. It was so refreshing at the time for someone to write books about the black gay/bisexual experience, but his writing style was pretty bad.

RIP, dude, but your books stunk.

And there is nothing I want to read as of late. I just finished Kitty Kelley's Oprah bio. Lots of dish, but basically crap writing.

If you're looking for an author whose gorgeous writing will make you swoon, check out Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Shadow of the Wind (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Shadow-of-the-Wind/Carlos-Ruiz-Zafon/e/9780143034902/?itm=1&USRI=the+shadow+of+the+wind). Originally written in Spanish and translated by Lucia Graves, it's a fantastic film noir-flavored tale set in Barcelona right after the Spanish civil war in the late 1930s. Read the reviews and synopses in the link provided, then get the book. When you file it on your "all-time favorites" shelf, let us know. ;)

Rex
03-07-2011, 01:08 AM
If you're looking for an author whose gorgeous writing will make you swoon, check out Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Shadow of the Wind (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Shadow-of-the-Wind/Carlos-Ruiz-Zafon/e/9780143034902/?itm=1&USRI=the+shadow+of+the+wind). Originally written in Spanish and translated by Lucia Graves, it's a fantastic film noir-flavored tale set in Barcelona right after the Spanish civil war in the late 1930s. Read the reviews and synopses in the link provided, then get the book. When you file it on your "all-time favorites" shelf, let us know. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion. I do miss reading. I used to be so hypnotized by good books. Don't know what happened.

Spinner
03-07-2011, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I do miss reading. I used to be so hypnotized by good books. Don't know what happened.

I've been there a few times myself, on a very long binge right now (and loving it!). Trust me, this book will re-ignite the trance. :)

rfisher
03-07-2011, 01:13 AM
Pike and Cole slash fic, anyone?). :

NO. NO. NO. NO.

Joe Pike was better when he was just all mysterious. This one was just dumb.

Wyliefan
03-07-2011, 04:14 AM
"The Mother's Recompense"
Edith Wharton; Paperback

"Twilight Sleep"
Edith Wharton; Paperback

Great choices! (Haven't read the others.) Enjoy! Oh, and belated happy birthday! :)