PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

rfisher
02-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Now listening to OotP. I always want to smack Harry for being a brat. I love relistening to the books knowing the end and catching all the subtle hints JKR sprinkled along the way.

immoimeme
02-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Colleen McCullough clearly knows her stuff as I have tried to read her Rome books. She is just so dry I could'nt finish them. I actually can't finish any of her books.

Science fiction/Fantasy seems to have the most interesting authors currently. But I find it too taxing to read. Or I should say I often have to use more brain power and higher-order thinking than I want to:D I'd rather watch the movie. Which generally the is opposite about how I feel about historical fiction movies- looking at you Alexander and Troy
OMG. I come back to this thread late and wouldn't you know I had just finished reading "The Thorn Birds" and wondering why on EARTH did I ever think that was a good novel?!?! :P

Now the movie "Troy"--oh yeah! Hell yeah!! Forget about history, it's all about Brad Pitt in a skirt, eys! :hat1:

Wyliefan
03-01-2011, 03:59 PM
I think Ash may have wondered into the field where Maia was playing in order to try and see Christabel who was living with the family. He refers to wanting to see La Belle Dame Sans Merci (who else could it be) but meeting Maia instead.

Oh right, I forgot about that.

Christina
03-01-2011, 11:57 PM
I've been listening to audio books for quite a while, as I drive a lot for work. I particularly like YA books. I've just finished The Alchemist and The Magician in the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series. I'm almost through with the third book, The Sorceress. There are two more books to listen to, if the library has them!!!

I've tried listening to more 'grown up' books, but it's just too hard to listen in snippets. Any suggestions for me? I've gone through the entire Princess Diaries series, and of course Harry Potter.

Wyliefan
03-02-2011, 12:07 AM
I've really enjoyed Dave Barry's books on audio, especially I'll Mature When I'm Dead and Boogers Are My Beat. Pretty light fare, as you no doubt gathered. :) Humor books are pretty easy to listen to in snippets, I think.

rfisher
03-02-2011, 12:51 AM
Tim Dorsey's books are fun to listen to as well as Alexander McCall's No. 1 Ladies Detective Series.

made_in_canada
03-02-2011, 03:47 AM
I don't know how available they are in places other than Canada but Stuart McLean's Vinyl Cafe (http://www.cbc.ca/vinylcafe/home.php) series is awesome to listen to in the car. Great stories!

zaphyre14
03-02-2011, 07:12 PM
I listen to mostly mysteries in the car. Some days I get so involved in them, I'm surprised when I get to work because I don't remember driving there. :)

Prancer
03-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Oh, rfisher, have you seen that Chelsea Cain has a new book out? I downloaded a sample. Gretchen is supposedly in prison in this one and Archie is off chasing someone else entirely. Supposedly.

I am very annoyed with myself. Last week, I kept stumbling across the same book over and over again; it wasn't something I normally read, so I kept scrolling by. Last night, I started thinking about it, and thought that it seemed like just the kind of book I need right now. So of course, all I can remember is that the cover was all shades of blue. Last week, I couldn't click on a link without it turning up, and now it's gone and the title, author, characters and everything else with it.:mad:

I am not finding this aging business to add wisdom at all; it seems to me more like my IQ drips out of my ear every night as I sleep.

rfisher
03-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Oh, rfisher, have you seen that Chelsea Cain has a new book out? I downloaded a sample. Gretchen is supposedly in prison in this one and Archie is off chasing someone else entirely. Supposedly.

I couldn't force myself to read the 3rd book although I pick it up every time I'm in Borders then put it back. Cain is a seriously disturbed person. And my sympathy for Archie vanished when he climbed in that car in book two. His wife should have hit him on the head a few times since that's what he seems to like.

Grannyfan
03-03-2011, 01:54 PM
I am not finding this aging business to add wisdom at all; it seems to me more like my IQ drips out of my ear every night as I sleep.

So that's what it is. All this time, I thought I was drooling in my sleep. I must have had a higher IQ than I realized. :)

emason
03-03-2011, 02:33 PM
So that's what it is. All this time, I thought I was drooling in my sleep. I must have had a higher IQ than I realized. :)

Estrogen in our breakfast bowls - the mantra of a friend, who is convinced this will solve all our problems.

IceAlisa
03-03-2011, 03:17 PM

This has been happening to me since I turned 25--someone told me that around that age people start having microscopic itsy bitsy strokes. Don't know if it's true but it sure feels like it.

Coincidentally around that age I started having hangovers, whereas before I'd wake up after a night of debauchery fresh (but not chipper as I am never chipper in the morning) as a daisy.

Spinner
03-03-2011, 03:59 PM
I am very annoyed with myself. Last week, I kept stumbling across the same book over and over again; it wasn't something I normally read, so I kept scrolling by. Last night, I started thinking about it, and thought that it seemed like just the kind of book I need right now. So of course, all I can remember is that the cover was all shades of blue. Last week, I couldn't click on a link without it turning up, and now it's gone and the title, author, characters and everything else with it.:mad:

Was it Heresy (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Heresy/S-J-Parris/e/9780767932523/?itm=2&USRI=heresy)? It's been on Goodreads.com several times as well as their iPhone app.

rfisher
03-03-2011, 06:47 PM
The next 3 weeks will be fun: new Linda Fairstein next week, then new Alexander McCall Smith the next and the new Jean Aual after that. Aual's books are big but they read fast because she repeats herself a lot.

Just finished the latest JD Robb installment. I'm amazed that Nora Roberts has managed to keep the series interesting this long. She cranks out 2 a year. This time Eve knows who the killer is from the beginning and spends the book setting her net. I still enjoy the characters and just skip over the constant reminders of how much being a cop means to Dallas. Also, there were no big sex scenes. I guess NR is tired of writing them. :lol: She focused more on characters. My biggest complaint is that Dallas still treats Peabody as a pet rather than a partner.

Just started the latest Hamish McBeth. I love the people of Lochdubhh except this time the mystery is in one of the more remote hamlets of Hamish's beat.