PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

ChelleC
02-23-2011, 01:35 AM
I checked out Anna from the library too! I hope you enjoy it. :)

I ended up starting it tonight. I'm about 50 pages in, and I like it so far.

Wyliefan
02-23-2011, 01:59 AM
Anyone got The Paris Wife yet? I'm looking forward to getting it. I read an excerpt some time ago -- in Good Housekeeping, of all places -- and really liked it, even though I'm not much of an Ernest Hemingway fan. (It's a novel about his first marriage.)

dinakt
02-23-2011, 03:13 AM
Another vote here for Jennifer Ehle as the perfect Lizzy. I never can envision anybody else. She matches both description and behavior. I COULD imagine Mr. Darcy more along the lines of Richard Armitage, though I adore Colin Firth. But I can never imagine another Lizzy.
That P&P is really the standart. Hard to remake it better.

dinakt
02-23-2011, 03:23 AM
I started "A Game of Thrones" by George Martin. It better be good, because it is forever long. But I am told it is a great fantasy saga... will report when I have smth. to say.

Spinner
02-23-2011, 03:40 AM
I started "A Game of Thrones" by George Martin. It better be good, because it is forever long. But I am told it is a great fantasy saga... will report when I have smth. to say.

I have it and the following 3 books in the series waiting in my "to read" pile. The 5th book in the series has been delayed a couple times in the past 2 years so I'm waiting until an actual release date is confirmed before I begin them. His readers love the books, so I'm getting pretty anxious to start!

rjblue
02-23-2011, 03:43 AM
It better be good, because it is forever long. .On the F&SF forums I lurk at, it is either loved or respected. It doesn't seem to have any detractors the way that The Wheel of Time or Terry Goodkind's work do.

But Martin appears to take forever to get new books out, and there are supposed to be three more books before it's finished.

Spinner
02-23-2011, 03:56 AM
But Martin appears to take forever to get new books out, and there are supposed to be three more books before it's finished.
Yup. The 5th book is A Dance With Dragons (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2782553.A_Dance_with_Dragons). As you can see from the link, the expected pub date is December 2012! :eek: Who knows if it's true though. Checking further, I see we're now approaching year 3 of waiting for it. :fragile:

Books 6 and 7 are supposedly titled The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring.

IceAlisa
02-23-2011, 04:25 AM
Anyone got The Paris Wife yet? I'm looking forward to getting it. I read an excerpt some time ago -- in Good Housekeeping, of all places -- and really liked it, even though I'm not much of an Ernest Hemingway fan. (It's a novel about his first marriage.)
Oooh, I am a big Hemingway fan, anti-semitism, sexism and all. The Old Man And The Sea rocked my world when I was a little girl.

Wyliefan
02-23-2011, 04:25 AM
Another vote here for Jennifer Ehle as the perfect Lizzy. I never can envision anybody else. She matches both description and behavior. I COULD imagine Mr. Darcy more along the lines of Richard Armitage, though I adore Colin Firth. But I can never imagine another Lizzy.
That P&P is really the standart. Hard to remake it better.

One of the most perfectly cast films I've ever seen, I always think. Everyone fits their part beautifully, right down to the smallest roles.

zaphyre14
02-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Keeping with the book theme: I started Robin Hobb's "Dragon Keeper" the other night and very nearly threw it in the donate box. The first thirty pages are depressing and angsty and gloomy, not what I need in mid-winter. Preface and Prolog went on forever! I'm hoping that now that I've actually hit Chapter 1, things will get better but it's been a slow slog so far.

I have three of Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware mysteries in the car (the library has cut their cassette books down to one stack and I'm severely challenged by what's left). I started "Flesh and Blood" on yesterday's commute and find it interesting. At least this detective seems to have a stable home life/marriage for a change.

rfisher
02-23-2011, 04:35 PM

I have three of Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware mysteries in the car (the library has cut their cassette books down to one stack and I'm severely challenged by what's left). I started "Flesh and Blood" on yesterday's commute and find it interesting. At least this detective seems to have a stable home life/marriage for a change.

Uh, not so fast. :lol:

emason
02-23-2011, 05:26 PM

Love, love, love A Game of Thrones in and of itself, but I'm not sure I'm sold on the entire series, and it is so easy to lose interest when Martin takes so long between installments.

I also love Janny Wurts' Curse of the Mistwraith, but it's another never-ending series with far too long between books. Wurts also seems to have taken writing lessons at the Henry James School of Baroque Sentence Construction.

Spinner
02-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Wurts also seems to have taken writing lessons at the Henry James School of Baroque Sentence Construction.
:lol:
I only hope fantasy fiction fans here have discovered David Eddings' work. His books read quickly and the stories are expertly-crafted. Sharp wit, strong female characters--Polgara, a legend!--and wonderfully woven plots make for some great reading. If you've not lost yourself into his worlds yet, start with Pawn of Prophecy (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/953173.Pawn_of_Prophecy) and enjoy :). It begins the 5-book Belgariad which is followed by the 5-book Malloreon with the same characters. His fans, though, tend to love his next works even more--The Elenium (3 books) and The Tamuli (3 books). They follow the adventures of the knight Sparhawk and sharply show a distinct disdain for organized religion.

I will admit, though, I didn't so much like his last series, The Dreamers. Its four books were his last writings before he died in 2009 and they just dragged on for me. The antagonists were painfully dumb and the battles dragged on over several chapters. As a fan of Eddings, I finished them though. They're ok, but nothing as amazing as the previous 2 character runs.

emason
02-23-2011, 06:59 PM
I've read some of, if not all, the Sparhawk books but nothing else. Next time I'm buying books I'll give Pawn of Prophecy a look.

Didn't Eddings admit later in life that his wife wrote or co-wrote a lot that went out under his name or am I confusing him with someone else?

rfisher
02-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Vampire smut. :smokin: