PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

rfisher
02-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Being the totally superfluous reader that I am, there's a new JD Robb out today along with the new MC Beaton Hamish McBeth. Yea, for entertainment. :cheer2:

zaphyre14
02-22-2011, 03:09 PM
I liked Graham's "Poldark" saga although I only read it because I saw the PBS series and loved that. Then I got hooked on devoured the books like breath mints.

I was sorting out a bookshelf yesterday and tripped over my umpteenth copy of Elizabeth Peters' "Street of the Five Moons" --- maybe time for a re-read of that series.

PDilemma
02-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Keira Knightley was as un-Lizzy like as anyone could be.

Finnice
02-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Keira Knightley was as un-Lizzy like as anyone could be.

Hear, hear! Ehle was so much better.

Artemis@BC
02-22-2011, 07:08 PM
Yes, I know she (Jennifer Ehle) has a lot of fans, especially for her role as Elizabeth Bennett. To me she is as un-Lizzy-like as can be.

I'm not sure I'd rate her entirely un-Lizzy-like, but she certainly didn't wow me. I know I'm in the minority but, to me, the best Lizzy was Elizabeth Garvie in the 1980 mini-series. And while it borders on sacrilege, and though I love love love Colin Firth and everything he does ... I also think David Rintoul was a somewhat better Darcy. :slinkaway: Rintoul just had the haughtiness and imperiousness down perfectly.

But Ehle still beats Knightly, hands down.

IceAlisa
02-22-2011, 07:16 PM
I think so, yes. I was just remarking on the irony of a materialist sort of coming back to "possess" or haunt someone else after death, as Randolph seems to do.
Yes, she likes her irony and circular or rather spiral narrative. I actually really liked the Fairy Melusine poem and wish I could read the whole thing if it even exists.

I also feel that a lot was lost in the portrayal of Christabel in the movie. Her challenge and even archness towards Ash weren't there, and these were very important aspects of her character and the narrative as a whole. Also her hair was supposed to be blond for many reasons (connections to Melusine and Maud among them). Instead it was auburn.

emason
02-22-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm not sure I'd rate her entirely un-Lizzy-like, but she certainly didn't wow me. I know I'm in the minority but, to me, the best Lizzy was Elizabeth Garvie in the 1980 mini-series. ..... I also think David Rintoul was a somewhat better Darcy. :slinkaway: Rintoul just had the haughtiness and imperiousness down perfectly.

Love Elizabeth Garvie. Also think that the actor who does Mr. Collins in that version (and I'm sorry but his name escapes me) is the best Mr. Collins. He managed to convey the silliness of the character while still making him a human being and not a caricature.

As for Rintoul, I used to love him, but on second viewing, what you find haughty and imperious, I find to be wooden bad acting.

Must add: can't stand Keira Knightly or that ghastly version - worst P & P ever made.

IceAlisa
02-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Keira Knightly is too modern for that role. And their Mr. Collins really was a caricature. But I like the soundtrack, the scenery and Pemberley the best in that version. :P

modern_muslimah
02-22-2011, 09:26 PM
IA with others who said that Jennifer Ehle is how they envision Lizzy. I think she was so perfect for the role. Elizabeth Garvie is a close second for me. Keira Knightly was terrible for the role of Lizzie. Either she was too angsty or too giddy. Half the time I kept wondering if I was watching Lizzie or Lydia.

I just finished reading a young adult novel, Anna and the French Kiss, that was featured as a best of YA fiction on NPR for 2010. I loved it! It was such a cute love story. Stephanie Perkins can give Stephanie Meyer a lesson in how to realistically capture teenage awkwardness, angst, happiness and love and create likable narrators who aren't whiny.

oleada
02-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Ooooh, I'm glad you liked it modern_muslimah! It's had such good reviews, and I've been craving some more YA, so I'll put that on my To Read list :)

modern_muslimah
02-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Ooooh, I'm glad you liked it modern_muslimah! It's had such good reviews, and I've been craving some more YA, so I'll put that on my To Read list :)

Let us know what you think of it! It's awesome and I think you'll like it. :)

Wyliefan
02-22-2011, 09:55 PM
I also feel that a lot was lost in the portrayal of Christabel in the movie. Her challenge and even archness towards Ash weren't there, and these were very important aspects of her character and the narrative as a whole.

I can see how that would be a problem! It was almost her defining characteristic.

Sounds like the screenwriter really loused this one up.

IceAlisa
02-22-2011, 10:05 PM
I can see how that would be a problem! It was almost her defining characteristic.

Sounds like the screenwriter really loused this one up.

Yup, nearly the only thing left of it was when they first met at the party, she said something to him about ignoring women in his work and he said: "You cut me, madam."--to which she replies "I only meant to scratch". Can we say "lame"? :rolleyes:

ChelleC
02-22-2011, 10:09 PM
I just finished reading a young adult novel, Anna and the French Kiss, that was featured as a best of YA fiction on NPR for 2010. I loved it! It was such a cute love story. Stephanie Perkins can give Stephanie Meyer a lesson in how to realistically capture teenage awkwardness, angst, happiness and love and create likable narrators who aren't whiny.

I have Anna and the French Kiss checked out from the library right now. I believe I'll start it tomorrow.

modern_muslimah
02-22-2011, 11:19 PM
I have Anna and the French Kiss checked out from the library right now. I believe I'll start it tomorrow.

I checked out Anna from the library too! I hope you enjoy it. :)

I'm now juggling both Emma and The Problem of Pain (one of my TBR 2011 books).