PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

PrincessLeppard
02-14-2011, 12:42 AM
Reading Markus Zusak's The Book Thief (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Book-Thief/Markus-Zusak/e/9780375842207/?itm=1&USRI=the+book+thief) now. Interesting approach to yet another novel set in Nazi Germany. It's narrated by Death who has this odd apprension of humanity and centers around a 10 year old girl as she discovers a love of reading, writing and the beauty of language. Just over 100 pages in and I'm really enjoying it. Check out a short video of the author talking about this book on his Goodreads (http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/11466.Markus_Zusak) page. He's cute too! ;)

That is an excellent book. I was so glad to find an example of first person observer narrator that wasn't an 18th century gothic romance. (the state of Nebraska insists students be able to recognize this point of view....)

It's also an independent reading suggestion for my Holocaust Literature kids.

Spinner
02-14-2011, 01:36 AM
You don't have to admit to reading them.;)
Just rearrange various words and phrases like "thrust", "quivering" and/or "sweet feminine nectar" and BLAMO!--you've got yourself a romance novel.

Prancer
02-14-2011, 01:43 AM
Just rearrange various words and phrases like "thrust", "quivering" and/or "sweet feminine nectar" and BLAMO!--you've got yourself a romance novel.

Now, now. You also have to have an extremely contrived complication that keeps the lovers apart.

Spinner
02-14-2011, 02:36 AM
Now, now. You also have to have an extremely contrived complication that keeps the lovers apart.

What, like a door or bed sheets? :P

PrincessLeppard
02-14-2011, 02:37 AM
No, it's usually something like, "Her pride would not allow her to tell him the truth."

:drama:

:P

Prancer
02-14-2011, 04:13 AM
What, like a door or bed sheets? :P

No, dear, that would not be a ROMANCE novel. That would be EROTICA.

Yeesh. Men!

No, it's usually something like, "Her pride would not allow her to tell him the truth."

And now we know what PrincessLeeppard reads when she isn't reading post-apocalyptic dystopian novels.

Wyliefan
02-14-2011, 04:53 AM

:drama:

:P

Bonus points for every use of the word "forbidden."

rfisher
02-14-2011, 02:05 PM
No, dear, that would not be a ROMANCE novel. That would be EROTICA.

Yeesh. Men!

Exactly. In erotica, they just get on with it. In romance, there must be much :drama: , total failure to communicate, and the sex is the best ever and love is eternal.

Clytie
02-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Back to Piccoult, 19 Minutes made me want to hurl the book out the window--which (to cross the threads) is an argument against ebooks. I would hate to spend money on an ereader then read something by a hack and toss the expensive ereader out my window.

I did'nt hate it but yes I am puzzled as to why her books sell so well. As for her so-called trademark 'twist' at the end, I can usually guess it too. Thank god I got a couple of her books free off another site. I would never want to pay money for them.

Which me brings me to my other reason for posting. I am sure they were discussed here some time ago but I am currently reading Phillipa Gregory's The Tudor series. (Another set of freebies) Not mind blowing but ok. The only thing ticking me off is apparently her lack of historical accuracy or at least tweaking the facts greatly. I know she is not the only author guilty of this. I love historical fiction but only if the liberties taken make sense or fit in with some account of history. Is it going to get worse as the series goes on?

Colleen McCullough clearly knows her stuff as I have tried to read her Rome books. She is just so dry I could'nt finish them. I actually can't finish any of her books.

Speaking of historical fiction the rumour is that Jean Auel is finally going to release her last book in The Earth Child Series this year. The last couple were snoozefests but I guess I am just dying to know if Ayla gets to see her son Durc again. Reading about how it is possible that Neanderthals and Modern Humans did interbreed makes me curious if she will go there. I know the theory was disputed for awhile but sounds like it has made a comeback. I just hope the last book is as least somewhat as good as the first. It took her long enough to write it.

Science fiction/Fantasy seems to have the most interesting authors currently. But I find it too taxing to read. Or I should say I often have to use more brain power and higher-order thinking than I want to:D I'd rather watch the movie. Which generally the is opposite about how I feel about historical fiction movies- looking at you Alexander and Troy

Nan
02-14-2011, 06:04 PM
While I don't want to think, I also don't want to be bored.

I know. It's harder to find something that walks that fine line.

Jenny
02-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Speaking of romance and erotica -

What women want: Gay male romance novels (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/valentines-day/what-women-want-gay-male-romance-novels/article1902774/)

rfisher
02-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Speaking of historical fiction the rumour is that Jean Auel is finally going to release her last book in The Earth Child Series this year. The last couple were snoozefests but I guess I am just dying to know if Ayla gets to see her son Durc again. Reading about how it is possible that Neanderthals and Modern Humans did interbreed makes me curious if she will go there. I know the theory was disputed for awhile but sounds like it has made a comeback. I just hope the last book is as least somewhat as good as the first. It took her long enough to write it.

It's out in March. Land of the Painted Caves.

Buzz
02-15-2011, 03:26 AM
I Shall Live: Surviving Against All Odds 1939-1945 by Henry Orenstein. Author is a holocaust survivor who is now a successful business man and professional poker player. According to Wiki he is responsible for the Transformers. :respec:

zaphyre14
02-15-2011, 01:42 PM
I made a flying trip through B&N yesterday - and confined myself to four or five paperbacks. Nothing notable that I can think of now, but I did pick up the trade paperback of Sarah Donati's "The Endless Forest." I wasn't that crazy about the last one which was set in Lousiana but I'm hoping for better things now that the characters are back in upstate New York in 1824 where they belong. :)

Artemis@BC
02-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Jean Auel is finally going to release her last book in The Earth Child Series this year. The last couple were snoozefests but I guess I am just dying to know if Ayla gets to see her son Durc again. I know the theory was disputed for awhile but sounds like it has made a comeback. I just hope the last book is as least somewhat as good as the first. It took her long enough to write it.

I thought the previous book wasn't just a snooze, but laughably bad. And yet ... I still feel compelled to read the final installment. I think we will see Durc again -- remember the vision she had about her 2 sons meeting? I think she will at least tempt to resolve all the outstanding issues. How ham-handedly she "resolves" things remains to be seen ... I'm first in the library queue for this, so at least I'll only be wasting my time, and not any money, if it ends up being another dud.

Meanwhile, I finished Fauna by Alissa York, and I loved it. Great characterization, minimalist but evocative prose, and animal allegories all over the place -- all good stuff. Plus the fact that she quoted from / referenced no fewer than 4 of my other favourite animal-themed books (Watership Down, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Ring of Bright Water, and The Jungle Book) ... well, all in all a great novel. The year is still new but I'm already sure this will be on my best-of list for 2011.