PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

IceAlisa
02-09-2011, 08:09 PM
You sound like William Shatner.

Pardon my culture gap, but why?

PRlady
02-09-2011, 08:11 PM
We'll make it--through--Wyliefan. Hang in--there. :P

Keep reading. [shakes finger at IA and WF] Possession is awesome. And when you're done, get The Children's Book, her most recent novel. Long but worth it.

I read straight science fiction for the first time in years, The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi. And came here to tell Princess Leppard to add it to her syllabus, it's a strangely awful and wonderful dystopian book, set in the near future.

Southpaw
02-09-2011, 08:16 PM

Behold the Master (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW63vnU7yPI&feature=fvst)

skatingfan5
02-09-2011, 08:17 PM
My preferred punctuation in almost all of my personal writing is the dash. It is, I fear, a sign of a distracted and fragmented mind -- one not capable of enough sustained thought to compose a straight-forward sentence requiring only the assistance of a comma or two. :slinkaway

ETA: I have very good lung capacity.and do not require supplemental oxygen. :P

Wyliefan
02-09-2011, 08:23 PM
I tend to use them a lot myself . . . along with ellipses. :) But I don't think there's a person alive who uses them as much as they're used here. I don't even think that many Victorians did, did they? Not in their novels, at least. I haven't read that many Victorian letters.

AYS
02-09-2011, 08:53 PM
I can't believe it took me this long in my life to discover Georgette Heyer! I just read These Old Shades and am already on a second. Her characters are fabulous.

When Captain Kirk got particularly cheesydramatic at the end of the episode, he started to speak in this very deliberate, halting way.

Artemis@BC
02-09-2011, 09:14 PM
I use elipses -- and dashes -- all the time in online writing, but not nearly as frequently in "real" writing ...

Meanwhile, back to the books, I'm a few chapters into Fauna by Alissa York. I'm a sucker for any stories involving animals, and am liking this one so far.

PrincessLeppard
02-09-2011, 09:36 PM
I read straight science fiction for the first time in years, The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi. And came here to tell Princess Leppard to add it to her syllabus, it's a strangely awful and wonderful dystopian book, set in the near future.

I will check it out. Thanks!

Buzz
02-09-2011, 09:57 PM
My Sister's Keeper - Just started reading it. Not my usual cup of tea but it was a christmas present so I might as well give it a try. LOL

skatingfan5
02-09-2011, 10:04 PM
I can't believe it took me this long in my life to discover Georgette Heyer! I just read These Old Shades and am already on a second. Her characters are fabulous.I discovered Georgette Heyer's regency novels when I was in 9th or 10th grade. They are wonderful light reading -- and also highly addictive. :lol: I was in heaven when I discovered that my university's library had all of her novels -- quite a few were out of print at the time. Some of my favorites were A Woman of Quality, Frederica, and The Grand Sophy -- there were only two or three which didn't quite measure up. There was discussion of Heyer in a previous book thread, iirc.

zaphyre14
02-10-2011, 02:26 PM
I can't believe it took me this long in my life to discover Georgette Heyer! I just read These Old Shades and am already on a second. Her characters are fabulous.

"These Old Shades" is probably my favorite Heyer, or at least closely tied with "The Masqueraders." Stick with the historicals, though; her mysteries are not so wonderful.

Wyliefan
02-10-2011, 10:18 PM
her mysteries are not so wonderful.

I beg to differ! They can be rather formulaic, but she's got some really good ones. I think Duplicate Death is my favorite so far.

Matryeshka
02-10-2011, 11:14 PM
My Sister's Keeper - Just started reading it. Not my usual cup of tea but it was a christmas present so I might as well give it a try. LOL

:runs: :yikes: I went on a Jodi Piccoult kick a few summers ago. I call it The Summer of 1,000 Literary Trainwrecks. It consisted of a lot of "no, she didn't really write tha...she DID!" "OMG, this is even WORSE!" but she's so popular, surely she improv..."no! why can't I turn away?" Luckily, I regained my senses before being dragged into Piccoult land. I blame Dan Brown. Dan Brown is the alcohol version of the bad book gatekeeper. Had I never read The da Vinci Code due to it being popular, I'm sure I never would have picked up Piccoult. :mad:

BTW, My Sister's Keeper is one of the most ridiculous books I have ever read. Of course, I consider reading books that feature soulless Victorian spinsters who weild parasols and cavort with Scottish werewolves (SCOTTISH--can you believe?!) to be perfectly normal, so my judgment might not be all that high-falutin' either. :lol:

rfisher
02-10-2011, 11:27 PM
nah. I tried a Piccoult book on audio. Ejected after the second disc. I do not see what the attraction is or why her books sell so well. I was just glad the audio book was from the library and I hadn't wasted money on it instead of some good smutty literary treasure.

PDilemma
02-11-2011, 02:39 PM
I tried some Piccoult a few years ago as well. I figured something had to be appealing about it if she is selling that many books. I read three or four including My Sister's Keeper. I totally understand the "oh no she didn't" response. I think I did a lot of eye rolling and skipping entire chapters. She's a hack. But that begs the question: why are there so many best selling hacks?