PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

zaphyre14
01-31-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm reading Tasha Alexander's latest Lady Emily mystery, "Dangerous to Know." It's pretty good, tying in a Jack-the-Ripper-style murder with mental illness, depression and infertility mixed with women's sufferage and the social upheaval of England in the late 1800's.

And in the car I have the audio of Alexander MCCall Smith's "The 1st Ladies Detective Agency" going on. It's great driving listening and I love the voice of the narrator.

rfisher
01-31-2011, 02:30 PM
I'm reading Tasha Alexander's latest Lady Emily mystery, "Dangerous to Know." It's pretty good, tying in a Jack-the-Ripper-style murder with mental illness, depression and infertility mixed with women's sufferage and the social upheaval of England in the late 1800's.

And in the car I have the audio of Alexander MCCall Smith's "The 1st Ladies Detective Agency" going on. It's great driving listening and I love the voice of the narrator.

I absolutely loved the audio version of all the No1 Ladies Detective books because of the narrator. I have both the hard copies and the audio. I'm excited there's a new book coming out in March. I love visiting with Mma Ramotse.

ChelleC
01-31-2011, 03:01 PM

I read "Dangerous to Know" back in November, compared to the other books in the series I didn't really care for it. :slinkaway

zaphyre14
01-31-2011, 03:05 PM
I read "Dangerous to Know" back in November, compared to the other books in the series I didn't really care for it. :slinkaway

I'm finding Emily's waffling about children and emotional instability somewhat annoying, although it's realistic. The back-and-forth visiting this place and that one seems too frantic as well. But I've grown to actually like Colin's snobby mother much more than I expected to. :)

Erin
01-31-2011, 03:40 PM

When I was staying in Minneapolis, I went to see A Prairie Home Companion where Alexander McCall Smith was a special guest. He read a chapter from his latest book and I think his delivery made the book seem a lot more interesting than I might have otherwise found it. (I know he's not likely the narrator on his audio, but your comment reminded me of that one.) The next time I'm looking for something to read, I'll give one of his books a try. I'm getting rather frustrated with Sony's e-store that either doesn't have a lot of the books I want or the story has a listing for the book but it is listed as being "unavailable". I'm afraid I don't understand how an e-book is "unavailable".:mad:

rfisher
01-31-2011, 03:50 PM
When I was staying in Minneapolis, I went to see A Prairie Home Companion where Alexander McCall Smith was a special guest. He read a chapter from his latest book and I think his delivery made the book seem a lot more interesting than I might have otherwise found it. (I know he's not likely the narrator on his audio, but your comment reminded me of that one.) The next time I'm looking for something to read, I'll give one of his books a try. I'm getting rather frustrated with Sony's e-store that either doesn't have a lot of the books I want or the story has a listing for the book but it is listed as being "unavailable". I'm afraid I don't understand how an e-book is "unavailable".:mad:

The narrator of the No1 Ladies Detective series is a South Africian woman. The protag in the book is a Botswana woman so the accent is correct. The diaglog coach on the short lived HBO series (I was so upset when the producer died and they didn't do another year) used the same accent so it's authentic. She's wonderful to listen to. I hear her voice in my head when I read the books.

Prancer
01-31-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm getting rather frustrated with Sony's e-store that either doesn't have a lot of the books I want or the story has a listing for the book but it is listed as being "unavailable". I'm afraid I don't understand how an e-book is "unavailable".:mad:

Digital Rights Management. Just because something is available as an e-book doesnt mean that it can be sold by certain vendors, or that there are unlimited copies for sale.

If you have a Sony e-book reader, though, you should be able to buy from Borders and Google Books and any other seller that uses ePub format. I don't know if there are differences in price, but you have more choices available to you.

Erin
01-31-2011, 05:45 PM
Digital Rights Management. Just because something is available as an e-book doesnt mean that it can be sold by certain vendors, or that there are unlimited copies for sale.

Sorry for the rant, I do get that it has to do with Digital Rights. I'm mostly just annoyed that they even bother listing it in their store if it's unavailable and don't understand that aspect.

Thanks for the tip re Google and Borders, although it appears that those are only available in the US. Looks like Chapters might work though.

Prancer
01-31-2011, 05:53 PM
Sorry for the rant, I do get that it has to do with Digital Rights. I'm mostly just annoyed that they even bother listing it in their store if it's unavailable and don't understand that aspect.

Because it allows them to say that they have X books listed on their site. :rolleyes:

Sony is going after the international market in a big way, so I expect they will expand their offerings at some point. Right now, though, the North American market really isn't their focus. They're pretty much ceded the US market to Amazon for the time being; I believe the plan is to get everyone else lined up worldwide and then swallow up the Kindle :EVILLE:.

Thanks for the tip re Google and Borders, although it appears that those are only available in the US.

There's got to be someone in Canada who sells ePub books; Indigo and Chapters, maybe? Anything that can be read on Kobo should be available for Sony. If not, you should be able to make them readable with Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/).

rjblue
02-01-2011, 12:54 AM
I love the internet! I ordered these books last week (used) and here they are.
It's like every day is the library book sale.

I decided to buy myself my entire Amazon wish list that no one used at Christmas time.

First up- Expendable (http://www.amazon.com/Expendable-League-Peoples-Bk-1/dp/038079439X) by James Alan Gardner:
Remember the away teams on the original Star Trek series? Kirk and Spock would always take along one or two anonymous crew members in red uniforms. And the redshirts would invariably die before the first commercial break, shot or crushed or eaten by the alien menace du jour while Kirk chewed the scenery. Expendable by James Alan Gardner is a bitter, amusing story about the exploration of brave new alien worlds, from the point of view of similarly doomed crew.

I read one of the later books in the series - Radiant- a few years ago, and I've been wanting to read the rest ever since.

I also have the Wheel of Time prequel - New Spring. I'm a bit disappointed in Robert Jordan though- it's only 334 pages long.

IceAlisa
02-01-2011, 01:21 AM
Wyliefan and everyone who's read Possession, just wanted to let you know how much I love the richness of perspectives on sexual politics in this book, both gay and straight. Also, the ancillary theme of the rude Amerikan shows up fairly early on (how Tinami would love this bit). I am beginning to see the point. :shuffle:

zaphyre14
02-03-2011, 03:13 PM
I bailed on Saylor's "Roman Blood" in favor of Downey's "Caveat Emptor" because the downey book is the most recent in the series and RB is the first in Saylor's. I really liked "Caveat" and thought I'd have trouble getting into yet another Roman detective series, but I've gone back to RB and am enjoying it. Gordianus isn't quite as engaging a character as either Ruso or Falco - he's way too philosphical about the culture of Rome and I'm not getting the depth in his relationship with Bethesda, his housekeeper/servent/mistress. But the mystery is decent and the author certainly has done his homeork on the politics and caste systems of the times. I'm glad there are several more volumes in the series to get me through this snowy winter.

Allen
02-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Wyliefan and everyone who's read Possession, just wanted to let you know how much I love the richness of perspectives on sexual politics in this book, both gay and straight.

Possession is one of my favorite books and movies (probably helps that my all time favorite screen crush, Aaron Eckhart is in the fim). For a relatively longer novel, it reads extremely fast.

Wyliefan
02-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Also, the ancillary theme of the rude Amerikan shows up fairly early on (how Tinami would love this bit). I am beginning to see the point. :shuffle:

That's hardly anything new in a British novel. :) Dorothy L. Sayers was doing it decades ago. (Though not ALL of her Americans were rude. But even with the well-intentioned ones, she usually struggled a bit with the dialogue, and they all ended up sounding like cowboys out of a dime-store novel. It's a rare admission for me that she ever had any weaknesses, because I adore her, but if she did have any, that's the one.)

As for Possession, I confess I got so bogged down early on that I nearly gave up. I've been trying to read so many things at once lately that my attention span is just about shot. The slow pace, and the need to read the poems and letters with care, nearly did me in. But I got through a few rough patches, and now I think I'll keep going. That is, if I can get it done before it has to go back to the library!

rfisher
02-03-2011, 04:36 PM
I haven't been to the library to get new audio books (the pickings are getting slim) so I'm listening to the HP series again. I'm on CoS. I'm sad when reminded of how Ron is treated in the films because his wit is so engaging in the books and Hermione isn't the polished pretty girl Emma plays her. Plus, I always hear something I missed on the other twenty-eleven times I've listened to or read the books. :)