PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Prancer
01-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Should we tell her when to stop reading?

Yes. Genevieve, avoid the third book. It's awful. Vampires might've helped, but not much. :P

I did an e-book reader demo a couple of weeks ago for some librarians, and one of them noticed that I had downloaded a sample of The Hunger Games. She asked me if I had read the series and I said no. She told me that I must read the books, because they are sooooooo good, and I said that I had heard that the first two were good, but the last one was dreadful.

She asked me WHO had told me that the third one wasn't good, and I said something vague about "teachers" (it wasn't a lie :shuffle:). I said that "the teachers" thought that there were unbelievable, drastic personality changes in the characters between the first two and the third.

She drew herself up and said, "Well! What kind of TEACHERS are these people? Of COURSE the characters had changed. How could they NOT change after everything they had been through? What sort of IDIOTS wouldn't expect them to change?"

PML! I guess she told you two.

rfisher
01-26-2011, 07:14 PM
I guess it's too bad they changed for the worse. :lol:

PrincessLeppard
01-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Which part of "unbelievable" did she not get? Of course they are going to change. That doesn't mean the main character has to turn into a hysterical, driveling idiot. :P

Spinner
01-26-2011, 11:26 PM
I think I need to back off on the vampires for a while, since I've been revisiting the Buffy series (AGAIN), and want to read Hunger Games this year (that has vampires, right?), but this sounds intriguing

I finished The Radleys a couple days ago, tore through the last 3/4 of it in one sitting. Quaint suburban family, kids don't know they're vampires until aformentioned incident unleashes all hell and the need for the dad to call his very-practicing vampire brother, Will. Will and all his vampire prowess turns out to be quite helpful. Or is he? Family secrets, subdued lustful cravings and new discoveries for the teenage kids; it was a great ride of a story! The author, Matt Haig, told me on Twitter a movie is already in the works--should be fab!

IceAlisa
01-29-2011, 07:01 PM
I am reading and loving Possession by A.S. Byatt, yet another excellent recommendation of FSU (I think credit is due to Nomad and mlp).

I get the distinct impression that the author is, if not gay, at the very least bi. Her description of men is cursory, perfunctory but that of women is poetic and sensual. Juicy.

When I was young and naive and reading Tennessee Williams, I became quickly convinced that he was gay. I didn't know anything about his life at the time and confirmed the fact with a literary (and gay) friend of mine by emergency phone call to his work. "Hi Carey, was Tennessee Williams gay?"--"Yes, a big queen."--"Thanks, bye."--"Um, OK." Oh those days before Google when you actually had to talk to people.

I realize that Dame Byatt is twice married with children but I can't help it. My gaydar is going off full blast.

Wyliefan
01-29-2011, 07:10 PM
I am reading and loving Possession by A.S. Byatt, yet another excellent recommendation of FSU (I think credit is due to Nomad and mlp).

Holy coincidence -- I just started reading it too! And I didn't even see their recommendation! :)

IceAlisa
01-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Holy coincidence -- I just started reading it too! And I didn't even see their recommendation! :)

I think you will enjoy it. :) We should have a discussion.

Wyliefan
01-30-2011, 04:05 AM
Definitely!

my little pony
01-30-2011, 05:02 AM
now i want to reread it, I LOVED THAT book when I read it (weird attack of the caps lock)

IceAlisa
01-30-2011, 05:43 AM
I am going to go back to reading it now. I am too pissed to watch the NBC West coast broadcast of Ladiezzzzzzz anyway.

Clytie
01-30-2011, 01:18 PM
I will say that I don't like the new way she's splitting the narrative between Kinsey and the bad guys. She's done this a couple of times now. You know who the bad guy is at the outset of the book, which is not necessarily a bad thing overall, although it's not great if you are a fan of he mystery part of a mystery book. It makes me think that she is a weeeeeeee bit tired of Kinsey. She is also slowly, slowly moving Kinsey away from being the snarky loner into being part of a family, both real and extended. It's just not the same .

I kind of like the split narrative. I do agree with you about the family part. I liked it better when Henry seemed to have that role.

I really liked U up until the half-way point. Then my interest started to fade. Or maybe it was because I could see were the story was going. It also did'nt help that the physical descriptions of Shelley were gross.

Prancer
01-30-2011, 06:25 PM
I really liked U up until the half-way point. Then my interest started to fade. Or maybe it was because I could see were the story was going.

That's the thing. If it weren't for the split narrative, you wouldn't have had a clue what was going to happen. As it is, actually reading the story seemed rather redundant because you knew how it was going to end, and one doesn't read a Kinsey Millhone story for the beauty of the language. I do like Kinsey and it's nice to visit with her, but I felt like speeding up the story telling because I already knew the end.

Matryeshka
01-31-2011, 12:53 AM
I was just given Soulless by Gail Carriger, which is a novel of "vampires, werewolves, and parasols." So far, it's like if Delores Umbridge was made younger and fought on the side of good rather than evil. The author lives in the Colonies and has many Armenian lovers. I'm not sure about the book so far, but I definitely want to hang out with the writer. Anyone ever read a book like that--the novel itself didn't interest you, but something about it made you think you'd really love to go shopping with the writer?

Wyliefan
01-31-2011, 01:02 AM
The author lives in the Colonies and has many Armenian lovers.

Um . . . is that what you meant to say? :) Or did you mean "many Armenian fans"?

Matryeshka
01-31-2011, 01:13 AM
No, I meant many Armenian lovers. That's what it says on the back of the book, verbatim.