PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Wyliefan
01-24-2011, 02:54 PM
I can't remember who said it, but someone was famously quoted as saying something about Dorothy getting credit for all of Dawn's best lines.

Rory on Gilmore Girls. :) Possibly others too, but Rory was the only one I've ever heard actually say it. (She didn't believe it, though.)

Prancer
01-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Rory on Gilmore Girls. :) Possibly others too, but Rory was the only one I've ever heard actually say it. (She didn't believe it, though.)

You made me look :P. It was first said by Diana Trilling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Trilling), who actually knew both women.

Spinner
01-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Ok all you vampire fiction lovers, I picked up The Radleys (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Radleys/Matt-Haig/e/9781439194010/?itm=2&USRI=the+radleys) on a friend's very strong recommendation. I'm really not one for books about vampires, but he said it blew him away so I thought I'd give it a shot. It's Matt Haig's newest release and 100 pages in, it's so not your typical vampire work. It's about a middle-class family of vampires in the UK who belong to a group of practicing 'abstainers' so they can live normal human lives. The catch? The parents haven't told their kids what they are and after 17 years of abstinence, an incident unleashes the secret upon them all. Really good so far!

Wyliefan
01-24-2011, 06:15 PM
I found a "Shoes" book by Noel Streatfeild that I hadn't read -- Party Shoes. I never thought I'd say this, as I've loved all her other books, but this one was kind of blah. It has most of the same elements as her other kids' books: Overworked but caring parents, check. Responsible older kids, check. Conceited younger kid, check. Kid who dreams of being a dancer if only the money could be found, check. Kid who shows unexpected acting talent, check. And so on. The thing is, in most of her books, even with all those regular elements, she managed to mix things up and keep them interesting. This one is just a straightforward "Hey, kids, let's put on a show!" story, and feels formulaic in a way that the others never did.

PrincessLeppard
01-24-2011, 06:23 PM
Patton Oswalt's "Zombie Spaceship" erm, one more thing, is okay. He's at his best with the fake greeting cards and the fake poetry analysis. (an excellent study in total b.s. :P) He's not so great with the touch-feely coming of age stuff--tries a little too hard to be deep, imo.

Wait for it in trade paper.

I enjoyed Player One. I did feel that the ending wrapped up a little too neatly (everyone gets a happy ending! wheee!), but overall, I liked it.

eta: Zombie, Spaceship, Wasteland! ;)

Nomad
01-24-2011, 06:29 PM
I found a "Shoes" book by Noel Streatfeild that I hadn't read -- Party Shoes. I never thought I'd say this, as I've loved all her other books, but this one was kind of blah. It has most of the same elements as her other kids' books: Overworked but caring parents, check. Responsible older kids, check. Conceited younger kid, check. Kid who dreams of being a dancer if only the money could be found, check. Kid who shows unexpected acting talent, check. And so on. The thing is, in most of her books, even with all those regular elements, she managed to mix things up and keep them interesting. This one is just a straightforward "Hey, kids, let's put on a show!" story, and feels formulaic in a way that the others never did.

Try Saplings (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Saplings/Noel-Streatfeild/e/9781906462086/?itm=2&USRI=saplings). The adult characters are a bit two-dimensional, but overall it's a good novel. Streatfeild wrote it for adults but the plot is centered on the children.

Wyliefan
01-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Try Saplings (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Saplings/Noel-Streatfeild/e/9781906462086/?itm=2&USRI=saplings). The adult characters are a bit two-dimensional, but overall it's a good novel. Streatfeild wrote it for adults but the plot is centered on the children.

As a matter of fact, I just got a copy of Saplings! :) It does look good.

Nomad
01-26-2011, 04:50 PM
As a matter of fact, I just got a copy of Saplings! :) It does look good.

I hope you enjoy it. I really liked My Home Is Far Away, which I finished this morning. Dawn Powell considered it her best novel; I'll have to read a few more to see if I agree with that or not. Started Uncle Tom's Cabin today. I didn't like it much the first time around (I think Stowe's New England novels were better) but maybe I'll appreciate it more this time.

genevieve
01-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Today I was searching for some books at the school library and I came across Fire on Ice: The Exclusive Inside Story of Tonya Harding.
I have that somewhere and read it a zillion years ago - I can barely remember anything from it though.

I'm reading U is for Undertow (http://www.amazon.com/U-Undertow-Kinsey-Millhone-Mystery/dp/039915597X) at last. I didn't know it was another split narrative book. I really didn't like the last one for that reason, but so far, this one isn't too intolerable.
I can't believe Grafton hasn't made it through the damned alphabet yet! I haven't read a Kinsey Milhone mystery in years and it feels like I got through at least P.

Ok all you vampire fiction lovers, I picked up The Radleys (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Radleys/Matt-Haig/e/9781439194010/?itm=2&USRI=the+radleys) on a friend's very strong recommendation. I'm really not one for books about vampires, but he said it blew him away so I thought I'd give it a shot... Really good so far!
I think I need to back off on the vampires for a while, since I've been revisiting the Buffy series (AGAIN), and want to read Hunger Games this year (that has vampires, right?), but this sounds intriguing

Prancer
01-26-2011, 05:57 PM
I can't believe Grafton hasn't made it through the damned alphabet yet! I haven't read a Kinsey Milhone mystery in years and it feels like I got through at least P.

I will say this for her--the series is still pretty good. Not great and not its best at this point, but it's still pretty good. There aren't a lot of series writers around now who can do that. And I think she can attribute her success in part to not buckling under pressure to crank out more books at a faster clip.

I will say that I don't like the new way she's splitting the narrative between Kinsey and the bad guys. She's done this a couple of times now. You know who the bad guy is at the outset of the book, which is not necessarily a bad thing overall, although it's not great if you are a fan of he mystery part of a mystery book. It makes me think that she is a weeeeeeee bit tired of Kinsey. She is also slowly, slowly moving Kinsey away from being the snarky loner into being part of a family, both real and extended. It's just not the same :wuzrobbed.

I'm reading another really dreadful free book. I need to stop this.

PrincessLeppard
01-26-2011, 06:09 PM
I think I need to back off on the vampires for a while, since I've been revisiting the Buffy series (AGAIN), and want to read Hunger Games this year (that has vampires, right?), but this sounds intriguing

No.

rfisher
01-26-2011, 06:11 PM
No.

Should we tell her when to stop reading?

PrincessLeppard
01-26-2011, 06:40 PM
Yes. Genevieve, avoid the third book. It's awful. Vampires might've helped, but not much. :P

rfisher
01-26-2011, 06:41 PM
Yes. Genevieve, avoid the third book. It's awful. Vampires might've helped, but not much. :P

Only if they ate everybody.

genevieve
01-26-2011, 06:42 PM
I did recall that book 3 is a stinker :lol: maybe I'll read Spinner's vampire book at that point and pretend it's the 3rd book of the trilogy :P