PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

barbk
01-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Picked up a mystery at the library by an author I hadn't previously read, Bill Cameron. Day One turned out to be one of more aggravating reads I've had in a while: the author skips from present to past -- many different times in the past, not in sequence -- every few pages, and the story is told from several viewpoints. I finished it, but I'm wondering why any author would feel the need to jerk around so much - now, three months ago, now, three years three days ago, three days ago, now, thirteen years ago,... Maybe it takes a better or younger brain, but I really can't keep it all straight -- and then it ended with a fizzle. Blech. I won't be reading anything by him again anytime soon.

Also read Carousel Tides, a fantasy novel set in coastal Maine by Sharon Lee. I love Lee & Miller's Liaden science fiction stories, and rather intensely disliked their prior fantasy novels Duanifey and Longeye, but I decided to try Carousel Tides to see what Lee's writing was like when she wasn't writing with a partner. I liked it -- it wasn't dark and nihilistic as the joint efforts were, and I liked the protagonist and the magic. Still, I'm not sure I really like fantasy per se. (Though I was certainly quite fond of Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy.) The good news is that there is a new Liaden Universe novel being published this year, and a reprint of several out-of-print older Liaden novels that have been very, very hard to find either used or through inter-library loan. The Liaden series has been described as a Regency set in science fiction domain, and I find I quite like them. They're already on my purchase list at Amazon, and I'm looking forward to finding a place on the bookshelf for them.

mmscfdcsu
01-11-2011, 05:42 PM
I bought an older book from the book sale rack at the library on Saturday. The Soloist, by Mark Salzman. Such a wonderful book. I read it straight through. :)

Wyliefan
01-11-2011, 05:45 PM
There's a new novel coming out next month (http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl/9780345521309.html) about Ernest Hemingway and his first wife. I'm not that big a Hemingway fan, but I have to say this looks good. I read a lengthy excerpt in Good Housekeeping and thought it was beautifully written.

made_in_canada
01-11-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm reading Freakonomics right now for my book club. It's an interesting perspective on things, though I'm sure probably maddening for most people who actually know anything about economics. I'm concluding that economics is really just instrumental conditioning.

Prancer
01-11-2011, 11:06 PM
I had decided that I wasn't going to buy any e-books for my Nook until I knew what I was doing with it; I think I'm pretty proficient, so I started buying.

There have been some exceptions, but I gotta tell ya--a whole lotta free e-books are expensive for what you get. Some of them are clearly self-published drafts; my freshman comp students write better. I couldn't get past page two or three of most of them.They aren't all bad; I found a couple of keepers. But :yikes: at most of them.

I decided to read A Room With a View, as I somehow never have, and it's such a relief to read real sentences. :summer:

rfisher
01-11-2011, 11:25 PM
I had decided I wasn't going to buy any new books until I read the 30+ in the TBR box. Borders sucked me in. I have the new Robert Crais and a Brad Meltzer. I can justify the Crais book as it's another Joe Pike and who can resist the strong silent type?? Nobody. I have no excuse for the Meltzer except it's apparently about mysterious lost documents from George Washington impacting current political policy.

I have no excuses for the new MC Beaton Hamish McBeth, JD Robb, CJ Sansom Matthew Shardlake, Jean Auel, Charlaine Harris and others coming out in the next several weeks

I don't want Borders to fold so I'm just doing my part to help.

Artemis@BC
01-12-2011, 12:23 AM
... the new Jean Auel ...

This series started off so well but has steadily decreased in quality, with Shelters of Stone being laughably bad. And yet, I can't help myself, and I'm in the library queue for the new one. Won't cost me any money that way of course but assuming this will be comparable in size to her previous tomes it will cost me in time. *sigh*

But I had no idea there was a new Hamish MacBeth coming out, that's good news!

rfisher
01-12-2011, 12:46 AM
This series started off so well but has steadily decreased in quality, with Shelters of Stone being laughably bad. And yet, I can't help myself, and I'm in the library queue for the new one. Won't cost me any money that way of course but assuming this will be comparable in size to her previous tomes it will cost me in time. *sigh*

But I had no idea there was a new Hamish MacBeth coming out, that's good news!

This is the last Auel book (she must be 90) and I will have to read it. They actually read fast because you can skip all the pages repeated from the previous books or repeated within the same book. :lol:

I love Hamish. I don't like the Agatha Raisin series, but love Hamish and the townspeople. Oh, I forgot there's also a new Maa Ramose (The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency) by Alexander McCall coming in February. I love the series and was so sorry HBO didn't renew the series after the producer died. It's a series I reread frequently.

zaphyre14
01-13-2011, 02:03 PM
I finished "The Magician's and Mrs. Quent" between bouts of shoveling snow yesterday and, while I liked it and have the sequel in hand, I decided to jump eras and go with "A Marked Man", the second Abigail Adams mystery by Barbara Hamilton (who is also Barbara Hambley of the Benjamin January series). I needed a break from the flowery Austen-esque writing style of "TMAMQ" and something based more in actual history. Abigail's relentless practicality fits the bill on all counts.

I have the audios of "No.1 Ladies Detective Agency" coming from the swap site. I'm hoping I get them before I start my heavy-duty driving twards the end of the month.

rfisher
01-13-2011, 02:59 PM
I have the audios of "No.1 Ladies Detective Agency" coming from the swap site. I'm hoping I get them before I start my heavy-duty driving twards the end of the month.

You will love them. The language is just wonderful. I hear their voice in my head when I read the print books. They also help so you know how to pronounce names.

Buzz
01-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Author of a "Catcher In The Rye" sequel has settled a lawsuit filed before the original author pastway. He has now been banned from selling the book in North America or billing it as "banned". He also cannot dedicated the book to J. D. Salinger.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12181223

LilJen
01-13-2011, 09:55 PM
One of Robert B. Parker's last books was given to me by my hubby and I finally read it. Painted Ladies. We agreed that the guy was kind of on autopilot for the last several years of his career, so everything in Painted Ladies is familiar but still . . . a fun, easy read.

star_gazer11
01-14-2011, 06:30 AM
I just won my first book in one of the giveaways on Good Reads, I'm so excited. I love that website, so I'm really glad I read about it on here. :cheer:

Congrats :cheer: Now if only my first reads book from the end of November would arrive (if you're in the US it shouldn't take that long, I'm in Canada).

PDilemma
01-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Just read both Love Walked In and Belong to Me by Marisa de los Santos. They were (heavily used) Christmas gifts from my sister-in-law who gushed about how awesome both books were, the first one being the most awesome and how they spoke to her.

Of course, the main character and narrator (Cornelia) of Love Walked In spoke to her. The character is overly romantic and a drama queen. The story wasn't bad, but I wanted the narrator to shut up most of the time.

I liked Belong to Me better. But Cornelia (and really, who names a character that?) was still there and still very tiresome and seems one-dimensional even when de los Santos gives her a crisis. There is a second character named Piper who I thought was much more interesting and drawn in much more depth and seemed more real. I wish de los Santos had ditched her perfect little Cornelia (and, oh yeah, the woman is short which is the subject of endless blathering in both books as if short people do not actually exist except in de los Santos' imagination and are therefore quite exceptional) and wrote a whole book about Piper.

Spinner
01-15-2011, 10:40 PM
Picked up Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Prince of Mist today. It's his first novel, a young adult book. After falling madly in love with his The Shadow of the Wind I'm hoping for good things!