PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Matryeshka
01-06-2011, 04:11 AM
Ooo, I remember doing that debate in high school on whether the language should be changed in Huck Finn. I don't think we gain anything by sweeping things under the floor. It doesn't make things better, it doesn't make anyone now any more or less racist. I think it's important to acknowledge how far we've come regarding racism, and how far we still need to go.

I've read several trash novels so I'm now reading The Art of Choosing. It's pretty good so far. But then, I agree with every book I read on decision-making. Why can't I choose a decision-making process? :drama:

Spinner
01-06-2011, 05:46 AM
For you, book lovers to ponder:

New edition purges 'n'-word from 'Huck Finn' (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/hottopics/detail?entry_id=80299).

Or should it go to PI?

Why not just burn them? :rolleyes:

To quote Melissa Harris-Perry's tweet, there are worse places to learn about that word than in a literature class.

agalisgv
01-06-2011, 08:20 AM
Sorry if this has been discussed already, but has anyone read The Child Thief? If so, what did you think of it?

Much thanks

Spinner
01-07-2011, 11:10 PM
For those of you on Twitter, follow and participate in the #FridayReads stream for some great suggestions from other book lovers.

PrincessLeppard
01-07-2011, 11:18 PM
I'm reading "In the Forest of Hands and Teeth" which Spinner won't read because it has zombies in it, but so far it's :watch: Very gothic details (gothic in the literary sense, not the Kynt and Vyxsen sense ;)). I hope it keeps up the awesomeness and doesn't fall apart in the last third like Matched did.

PrincessLeppard
01-08-2011, 11:55 PM
So I was at Barnes and Noble to use the last of my awesome gift card that Spinner got me for my birthday, and I bought Patton Oswalt's Zombie Spaceship Wasteland. It better not suck.

I pondered getting Impact by Preston Douglas, but since Blasphemy disintegrated into a giant mess at the end, I was hesitant. Has anyone read it?

rfisher
01-09-2011, 12:04 AM
Hmmm...I usually read his stuff, but I don't remember if I read that or not after Blasphemy. Neither he nor Lincoln Child do all that well by themselves. They should just stick to writing about Pendergast. The last one my favorite FBI guy was his usual :kickass: self even if it didn't scare the pants off me like some of them.

PrincessLeppard
01-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Soooooo......the Forest of Hands and Teeth collapses with the introduction of a love triangle (is this the new meme du jour in YA fiction?), though it is interesting that it's implied that she has sex with both of them. (VERY obliquely)

My main complaint: At one point, she and one of the love triangle-ees are stranded in an abandoned house surrounded by zombies. There are a lot of old trunks in the attic, presumably full of information about the world pre-zombie. They are in this house for at least a week, if not longer. (the author is very vague on time. They walked "for days." At one point, we just jump forward five months. Anyway.) When does she decide to go through the trunks? As the zombies take over the house. Yeah.

And her main trait is supposed to be her driving need to "know" stuff.

I'll probably read the sequel, though. Is everything a trilogy now as well?

Allen
01-10-2011, 08:23 AM
I just won my first book in one of the giveaways on Good Reads, I'm so excited. I love that website, so I'm really glad I read about it on here. :cheer:

vesperholly
01-10-2011, 08:25 AM
So I was at Barnes and Noble to use the last of my awesome gift card that Spinner got me for my birthday, and I bought Patton Oswalt's Zombie Spaceship Wasteland. It better not suck.

It just got a rave in the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly, so hopefully not!

PrincessLeppard
01-10-2011, 03:22 PM
It just got a rave in the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly, so hopefully not!

Oh, crap. They loved Matched, too, and that book became a hot mess towards the end. :yikes:

rfisher
01-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Spinner warned you about those zombies.

PrincessLeppard
01-10-2011, 08:00 PM
The zombies were not the problem. The fact that the main character was a fcking idiot was the problem. :P

And no zombies in Matched. That might've improved things, had they eaten the right people....

Artemis@BC
01-10-2011, 10:24 PM
I'm reading "In the Forest of Hands and Teeth" which Spinner won't read because it has zombies in it, but so far it's :watch: ...

Don't you find you get grease marks on the paper if you eat popcorn while reading? :D

I'm about 1/4 of the way through The Good Daughter by Joyce Maynard. This was raved about at another forum I visit, but so far I'm finding it only so-so. Nothing objectionable, but nothing really noteworty either. Yet. I do have one suspicion about a possible plot twist that, if it turns out to be true, will make me go "oh, you're fracking kidding me." But I'll stick with it for now.

zaphyre14
01-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Over the weekend I restarted (for about the third time) Galen Beckett's "The Magicians and Mrs Quent." It took me a while to get into it - the alternate-reality universe Beckett creates mirrors Regency London so much that it seems silly to have created new place names and the odd unexplained shifting daylight/nighttime hours seem unneccessary to the plot other than to add Gothic drama. It's definitely an odd book: the first part is told in third-person, skipping between many many diverse characters. The middle section is a first-person semi-diary and the last quarter jumps back to the third-person style of the beginning only with a little more focus on drawing the characters together.

It's certainly not what I expected from the blurb but I found that I'm now liking it enough that when I saw the sequel "The House on Durrow Street" in Barnes and Noble last night, I bought it. I don't know if I'll be able to jump straight into it as soon as I finish "Magicians" but at least I'll have it on hand when I'm ready for it.

I picked up a bunch of other books (thanks to a handful of gift cards), five days of dog food for Muttley and two bottles of wine. I'm ready for the blizzard now. :)