PDA

View Full Version : Everything By the Book

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Prancer
01-05-2011, 04:40 AM
Digging through my boxes of books last night trying to find Wilde's "Picture of Dorian Gray" I came across my REALLY OLD copies of Madeline L'Engle's "Wrinkle in Time" trilogy. So, I opted for a trip back to my childhood and began reading them last night. Sorry Prancer, I know we talked about "Dorian", but I'm a nostalgic fool and these won out. Besides, they'll be a super-quick read and I can pick it up in a few days. :)

:wuzrobbed: And here I just downloaded Dorian so I could read it again, too.

vesperholly
01-05-2011, 04:41 AM
One of my favorite books of all time is L'Engle's "An Acceptable Time."

Spinner
01-05-2011, 05:08 AM
:wuzrobbed: And here I just downloaded Dorian so I could read it again, too.
I promise it's next! :slinkaway

One of my favorite books of all time is L'Engle's "An Acceptable Time."

I just found out it's the fifth in that series and "Many Waters" is fourth. Is that right?

genevieve
01-05-2011, 06:30 AM
Digging through my boxes of books last night trying to find Wilde's "Picture of Dorian Gray" I came across my REALLY OLD copies of Madeline L'Engle's "Wrinkle in Time" trilogy. So, I opted for a trip back to my childhood and began reading them last night. Sorry Prancer, I know we talked about "Dorian", but I'm a nostalgic fool and these won out. Besides, they'll be a super-quick read and I can pick it up in a few days. :)
Mad love for Madeleine L'Engle's Time trilogy (tho it sounds like there are more?) :cheer2:

Last time I read A Wrinkle in Time was 1990 when I housesat for my sister. I should get it from the library.

vesperholly
01-05-2011, 09:09 AM
I just found out it's the fifth in that series and "Many Waters" is fourth. Is that right?

Yes, although An Acceptable Time is not technically considered part of the Time Quartet. A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, and Many Waters are the main four, and An Acceptable Time is added in sometimes.

Mad love for Madeleine L'Engle's Time trilogy (tho it sounds like there are more?) :cheer2:

Many Waters is about Meg's twin brothers Sandy and Dennys. An Acceptable Time is Meg and Calvin's oldest daughter Polly (Meg was pregnant with her during A Swiftly Tilting Planet). An Acceptable Time is my favorite because it is less science-fictiony and more ancient Celty.

Apparently the characters in those two books are part of more L'Engle books: The Arm of the Starfish, Dragons in the Water and A House Like a Lotus (chronological order, with AAT last). I haven't read any of those but I'd like to.

Random, but I love the quote that Many Waters gets its title from, Song of Solomon 8:7: "Many waters cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it."

Jackie Sparrow
01-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Is Schätzing the one who writes futuristic thrillers? I guess that's him. So far I have only read The Swarm, which isn't very futuristic and neither is Lautlos. But I think some of his other books are.

zaphyre14
01-05-2011, 01:59 PM
I started Kathy Reichs' "Spider Bones" last night, and have Terry Brooks' "Running with the Demon" going in the car.

Surprisingly, I ended up liking Nelson DeMille's "Wildfire" even if it was long and had more technical details about nuclear warfare than I will ever need to know. The characters were well-developed and I really got to like the main character's often-inappropriate snarking. (Gee, I wonder why? :) ) I may hunt up the next book in the series, if I can find it on audio.

flyingsit
01-05-2011, 03:42 PM
I've always been a huge fan of the Anne of Green Gables series, but had never read beyond Anne of Ingleside. I downloaded Rainbow Valley and Rilla of Ingleside on my ipad and have read them in the past few days. :swoon:

rfisher
01-05-2011, 03:54 PM
I started Kathy Reichs' "Spider Bones" last night, and have Terry Brooks' "Running with the Demon" going in the car.

Spider bones was not bad. A considerable improvement over her last two. I know the guy who is the actual head of the unit in Hawaii. He tried to write a fiction ala KR a couple of years ago. It didn't do all that well and he kept his day job. His PhD dissertation included some material I used in my MA thesis. He made some errors which I graciously pointed out. :saint: Kathy should really focus on the anthropology stuff and not try to write police procedurals. She goes astray when she makes that attempt.

PrincessLeppard
01-05-2011, 06:06 PM
I promise it's next! :slinkaway

Yeah, you better slink away. Taking Prancer's suggestions and not mine. See how prepared you're going to be when the zombie hordes invade Chicago. :drama:

Twilight1
01-05-2011, 08:14 PM
One should always read at least one Zombie survival book in their lifetime!!

That and how to ward off Vampires...or is it make out with Vampires? Visions of Eric dance in my head... :saint:

JumpinBug
01-05-2011, 08:55 PM
My new Katie MacAlister arrived today, so I'm taking a break from Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga to read it.

IceAlisa
01-06-2011, 12:26 AM
For you, book lovers to ponder:

New edition purges 'n'-word from 'Huck Finn' (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/hottopics/detail?entry_id=80299).

Or should it go to PI?

Prancer
01-06-2011, 03:54 AM
For you, book lovers to ponder:

New edition purges 'n'-word from 'Huck Finn' (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/hottopics/detail?entry_id=80299).

Or should it go to PI?

I saw that, and right after it, I read an argument that we should all stop teaching fiction in the schools, and I read followup comments on both, and then I decided that I wasn't going to think about either one any more.:P

Wyliefan
01-06-2011, 04:09 AM
I've always been a huge fan of the Anne of Green Gables series, but had never read beyond Anne of Ingleside. I downloaded Rainbow Valley and Rilla of Ingleside on my ipad and have read them in the past few days. :swoon:

Rilla was one of my favorites of the series. She made a really enjoyable heroine. One thing bugged me, though (those who've never read past the first book or two, don't look): the way the author kept using "Mrs. Blythe" and "Dr. Blythe." They're still Anne and Gilbert, for crying out loud!