PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about wearing fur?

Pages : [1] 2

triple_toe
12-26-2010, 05:54 AM
Hi all, hope you've had a very happy holiday season!

Today in our Christmas merriment, I got a present from my grandmother: a beautiful fur hat. The hat was new, and has stunningly soft fox fur. I've never owned any fur before, and never thought about buying it, mostly because it is so expensive.

Wearing fur is obviously a dilemma for for some, but I haven't given it much thought because I've never had the option. I honestly don't care whether others wear it, it's none of my business.

Somehow, though, wearing fur seems to have a stigma attached to it which makes me unsure of whether I want to wear the hat or not. I'd feel guilty. I understand the argument about cruelty to animals, but that doesn't sit comfortably with me when I have no problem wearing leather, eating meat, or using goose down comforters (I know geese usually aren't killed exclusively for down, and sometimes they aren't killed at all). I would feel like a bit of a hypocrite if I just gave up the easiest thing I could and patted myself on the back for being a friend to the animals.

There's also the fact that faux-fur and similar synthetics aren't biodegradable and will be sitting in a landfill for many, many years. Fur, on the other hand, is an organic material and will break down.

On a more shallow and materialistic note, the fur is absolutely gorgeous. It's very very tempting to wear something so soft and warm, especially on these freezing winter nights we have here.

I'm not necessarily asking for advice about my specific situation, or for anyone to justify my decision if I do end up using the hat. I'm simply interested in your views on fur. I know this is a heated topic, so I hope I haven't opened up too much of a can of worms. If I have, I apologize.

Gazpacho
12-26-2010, 06:56 AM
I have never been an environment and do not know anyone who lives in an environment where I could justify wearing traditionally produced fur clothing.

I understand that for some places, such as some in Siberia, fur is the only material both warm enough and easily available, so fur is pretty much a practical necessity. I have no problems with people there wearing fur.

clarie
12-26-2010, 01:03 PM
A good fur coat will last a lifetime if properly cared for. I wouldn't buy one now, but I have a 30 year old coat that I had reconditioned a couple of years ago and it's looks great. Living in the climate that I live in, there's nothing warmer for those verrrrrry cold days. So I guess you could say that my coat is vintage (same as me :lol:)

PrincessLeppard
12-26-2010, 01:16 PM
While I think wearing fur is disgusting and would never do it, this was a gift. You didn't buy it yourself. If you want to wear it, I'm not going to berate you or throw red paint on you. (though I might've in my younger, less tolerant days. :shuffle: )

orbitz
12-26-2010, 01:51 PM
I think it depends on what kind of fur it is. If it's fur from baby harp seals or endangered animals then no I wouldn't wear it. If it's fur from farm raised animals like rabbits then I would wear it.

Enjoy if if you like it. Don't let anyone try to bully you into not wearing it.

Cupid
12-26-2010, 03:32 PM
I have a leather jacket and shoes and purses and think nothing of it, and most people don't although some will say if you won't wear fur you also shouldn't wear leather.

I do have a beaver-trimmed coat and a racoon-trimmed jacket that are absolutely beautiful and I do feel uneasy about wearing them.

I was offered a full-length mink coat by a co-worker because it didn't fit her (she said she would give it to me for free, but if I accepted it, I would have given her something), but I wouldn't want that.

Aceon6
12-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Voted vintage, but it's not safe to wear fur in this area as the PETA folks are more than happy to attack you with spray paint.

mmscfdcsu
12-26-2010, 07:43 PM
I won't wear it and I hate to see it. Yes, hypocrite I am. I eat meat and wear leather. Fur is not needed for warmth here in Cleveland.

briancoogaert
12-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Oh yes ! I love it ! :P

orientalplane
12-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Yes, hypocrite I am. I eat meat and wear leather. Fur is not needed for warmth here in Cleveland.

And meat is not needed for good health either.

ice dance
12-26-2010, 08:33 PM
I was just going to ask this very question! I was looking through the Loro Piana winter catalogue the other day and noticed that a number of their products used fur. Is fur coming back in to fashion? Was it ever out of fashion?
Anyway, I have no problem with humanely produced fur. I eat meat and wear leather. Fur lasts longer than either of those.
If you want to wear the hat, go for it. It sounds lovely.

Allen
12-26-2010, 09:05 PM
I choose not to wear fur, but I think it's a decision individuals have to make for themselves. That said, I think fur coats are fabulous looking. Viktoria Volchkova in particular had a fabulous one on today at Russian Nations.

FiveRinger
12-26-2010, 09:07 PM
I have furs that I inherited from my mother and grandmother after their passing. I have never worn them, just because they seem so matronly. I keep them for sentimental reasons. But, I don't think that I would buy a fur of my own. They are way too dressy for my casual tastes.

But, I think that wearing furs (or not) is a personal choice. I would never impose my point of view on someone else, so I don't hold it against those who wear them. But they just aren't for me.

backspin
12-26-2010, 09:14 PM
I bought a bunny-lined hat last year that is absolute heaven when walking the dog on a sub-zero day.

I think I'd probably wear other fur too, though like you it's never been under consideration because it's too expensive.

I bought a "fur" vest at a consignment shop this year--I'm fairly sure it's synthetic, though the label is of an actual furrier & it says only use dry cleaning for fur to clean it. I've worn it a few times & love it, real or not.

Bonita
12-26-2010, 09:39 PM
I have two gorgeous, intelligent house rabbits who live and act just like cats, they are no different at all. Would you wear cat fur? To me wearing rabbit fur (or any fur, for that matter) is absolutely reprehensible. Rabbits raised for fur live in absolute misery and die a very inhumane death.