PDA

View Full Version : Buying an airline ticket for someone else

Pages : 1 [2]

KCC
12-25-2010, 01:47 AM
Love the "United Breaks Guitars" video! Perfect! By the way, Delta snaps vaulting poles (for world class master's pole vaulters), and seemed to think the athletes could use them anyway. Even when everyone paid extra, insured them and took them to "air cargo" because of their unusual size. The competition was in Australia, and several people from the USA -- my husband being one of them -- ended up with broken poles. Crazy.

Erica Lee
12-25-2010, 01:51 PM
I sure hope this isn't a "trend" that catches on with all airlines. I have done both - flown on tickets purchased for me, and purchased tickets for others... never had an issue, and I hope I never will. What an inconvenient mess, if so!

barbk
12-25-2010, 07:24 PM
I've had this happen once before -- several years ago, when I bought a plane ticket for my younger brother who has a different last name and who lives in a different city. He looks like a Grateful Dead follower. He got challenged by the agent checking his luggage; I eventually got a phone call, but they let him use the ticket.

Amex told me that they had not blocked the transaction -- and in fact I'd already paid Amex for the ticket, so I've no idea why the airline demurred.

It was annoying, though. Just like Erika, I've bought plenty of tickets for other people -- don't know why this one triggered an issue.

kwanfan1818
12-25-2010, 10:34 PM
It shouldn't be a problem as long as the name on the ticket matches your photo ID. If they are going to be such asshats about it, they shouldn't let you put someone else's name on the ticket if it doesn't match the name on the credit card.
I agree. Carrying someone else's credit card violates almost every credit card company's terms & agreements. If that is United's policy, they are asking their customers to violate a credit card contract.

skatemomaz
12-26-2010, 06:29 PM
From United's website

Booking travel for other people
If you complete a reservation for another traveler - you may be required to present your card at airport check-in. Refer to your confirmation page for information or instructions.

kwanfan1818
12-26-2010, 06:44 PM
According to KCC, the gate agent asked her husband's son to produce the credit card, which is against United's own policy that the purchaser ("you") may be asked to present the credit card.

skatemomaz
12-26-2010, 07:24 PM
According to KCC, the gate agent asked her husband's son to produce the credit card, which is against United's own policy that the purchaser ("you") may be asked to present the credit card.

I understand that, I should have highlighted the section that said refer to your confirmation page for information or instructions. When KCC's husband made the reservation, I suspect the original confirmation gave instructions for contacting United to validate the credit card number.

barbk
12-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Idiotic concept, particularly given that the person who purchased the ticket could be thousands of miles away, and I've never seen this issue arise with any other airline, despite purchasing tickets all the time.

kwanfan1818
12-26-2010, 08:14 PM
I understand that, I should have highlighted the section that said refer to your confirmation page for information or instructions. When KCC's husband made the reservation, I suspect the original confirmation gave instructions for contacting United to validate the credit card number.
I've never paid for an online ticket for someone else, and I don't know if the site warns you before buying a ticket for someone else that you're going to have to schlep to an airport (since in-city ticket agents have all but disappeared) to show a credit card before the ticket will be issued. I once got award tickets for two people and had to go to the airport, but haven't since, as long as I'm on the website. If you have a password-protected account with them, and are signed in when you place the order and have the credit card number with the CID/CVV2 on it, that should allow the buyer not to have to go to the airport with the credit card.

Also, the "we may" stuff is ridiculous: I think they should tell someone 1. before they purchase and 2. after the purchase whether they need to go to the airport to show ID, or it should apply across the board, so that people don't get one set of rules with one flight and other set of rules the next time they fly. (There's enough of that.) If warned ahead of time, the customer could choose another way to buy, like through Expedia, which bears the fraud risk for third-party tickets, or choose another airline, which is, of course, why they bury it in the FAQs and fine print.

amazon.com does not use pre-stored credit card info if you add a new ship-to address; they make you enter the credit card details for the credit card on file again. That adds another level of security.

KCC
12-27-2010, 12:00 AM

Nope. I re-checked the confirmation & itinerary pages and there was no special info about having to validate the credit card.