PDA

View Full Version : Comparative Literature Major

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11

Allen
12-29-2010, 04:39 AM
I know quite a few people in a field that was thought to be very safe, architecture, that are all unemployed and looking for new careers even.

With the uncertainty of the economy, I don't think there are ANY careers that are "safe."

I know that's right. A friend of mine just graduated with a master's in architecture. She is waiting on her husband to finish his PhD. Jobs in her field were so thin, that she went into business for herself making a line (of really fabulous) of greeting cards and stationary.

Another friend lost her job in architecture and it took her nearly 8 months to get another job.

LordCirque
12-29-2010, 04:56 AM
Outside of it's ties to Project Runway and former ties to Inside The Actor's Studio, does anyone know anything about the quality of The New School in NYC? Is considered a reputable university or is it looked at on the same level of National University and University of Phoenix and the like?

When researching colleges and universities that aren't well known or state run colleges, what are some things to look for and what are red flags to look for?

Prancer
12-29-2010, 11:15 AM
I think you're probably right about that. In my experience, you have to mark the grammar, but you're really grading the content unless the grammar is just atrocious.

Atrocious grammar mistakes can be really entertaining, though: http://shitmystudentswrite.tumblr.com/

When researching colleges and universities that aren't well known or state run colleges, what are some things to look for and what are red flags to look for?

Talk to professors in your chosen field. They can tell you a lot.

Look at accreditations. Check them out and be sure they are real accreditations and not Jim Bob's Certificate of Approval.

Graduation rates and student loan default rates can be good information, too. Most private colleges won't supply employment information, but that's a good thing to know if you can find it.

modern_muslimah
12-29-2010, 12:58 PM
With the uncertainty of the economy, I don't think there are ANY careers that are "safe."

Maybe social work? I have honestly never met an unemployed social worker, my mom included. Then again, my mother would tell you to stay away from the field because they don't make a lot of money. Plus, they have to take a lot of crap, no matter what field they specialize in.

hirshey girl
12-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Maybe social work? I have honestly never met an unemployed social worker, my mom included. Then again, my mother would tell you to stay away from the field because they don't make a lot of money. Plus, they have to take a lot of crap, no matter what field they specialize in.

I can certainly agree with this! I have a Masters in Social Work and worked in the field before staying at home with my kids. There are plenty of jobs out there (I look around on occasion now that my kids are older), but many do not pay that much. I specialized in medical social work which tended to pay better than the average social worker, but it still wasn't great. And you do take a lot of crap! :revenge: Good luck on whatever you decide, LC.

Rob
12-29-2010, 04:15 PM
I don't assume that grammar rules are constant, but the rules I follow are constant. IOW I try to follow what I learned whether in an informal setting or not. I've been out of college for a long time so I haven't learned anything new. But I had a double major in English & Speech with a minor in secondary education so I try to practice what I preach. Choppette's post is a good reason to do so.

I wasn't attempting to be formal, I was attempting to be correct but yes, I do take shortcuts such as ampersands and contractions. I don't think they lead to misunderstandings. And I knew that "recipient" was misspelled but after changing it several times I gave up. For some reason I can't access spellcheck when on FSU. I should have put "(sp)" after it.

I don't know what "IOW" means. I have learned LOL, ROFTL, IMO, and a few others, but most of the "texting words" escape me because I do not communicate by text message. I can only think of Isle of Wight, and that would not fit the context.

Garden Kitty
12-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Two useful sites:

Free Dictionary acronym search (http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/iow)

Net Lingo (http://www.netlingo.com/acronyms.php)

rfisher
12-29-2010, 04:54 PM
While researching University programs that have Board Certified Forensic Anthropologists on staff, I came across a single major Dual program at UC Santa Cruz combining Earth Science and Anthropology for those interested in going into the lab work side of Paleo Anthropology. It sounds like it's a reasonably practical degree and if I can get through the math/science aspect of it (requires a 3 semester Calc based Physics sequence), could be practical because I'd think the training in that program/degree would probably qualify me to work in non-Anthropology/archaeology labs as well, which could sustain me if I decided I wanted to pursue Anthropology further itself and go to grad school, or just stay in the lab. It's all hypothetical obviously, as I'm not confident I'd be able to get through all the math and science, but I might at least give some of the classes a try before I rule the possibility out.

Sorry, to burst your bubble, but this is not a good university for anthropology. They don't even have their own department but are just thrown in with another field. Any lab jobs in paleo anth (not that there are any :lol: ) will be filled with PhDs from prestigious anthropology departments or grad students. I can't imagine what you think an undergrad lab class will qualify you for outside anthropology or archaeology. :huh: There are 30 "shovel bums" with years and years of practical experience available for any contract job in RCM. And, lastly, "Bones" is a highly fictionalized version of forensic anthropology and forensic science is nothing like any other TV show. :rofl:

Tinami Amori
12-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Not too long ago people with the ant mentality went into law school thinking they'd come out making guaranteed 6-figure salaries. Now those people are 5-figures in the hole wondering how the heck they got there and what to do with skills (and degrees) that aren't the least in demand. :shuffle:

In this uncertain economy, you might as well do something you like instead of chasing after something "lucrative." :P

5-figures on can still live one well enough vs. 4-figure one might get working at a coffee shop with a mixture of 3 liberal arts majors.

I believe in pursuing one's dream, even in a most competitive field.

You wake up one day when you are 5 years old and say I want to fly..... NO MATTER WHAT IT TAKES....

You wake up one day when you're 10 and say I am going to paint the ceiling of a New York Opera House/MET - like Chagall - no matter what it takes.... I will cure the world Hunger! I will save every animal on the planet..... I want to be Jacque Cousteau..... I want to be Gagarin and go into space, etc.....

......... and then you methodically, painfully, tiny-titsy-bitsy-piccolo-klein one step at the time pursue your dream, go through disappointments, hurts, struggles, trials and errors, but stay on track..... it may or it may not pay, usually it pays.......

However, when one person, with-in a range of 30’s shows a pattern, of a) frequently changing one's mind about what one wants to do “as an initial step into one’s future”, b) and the choices are always “glam jobs” – dancer, editor, Jacque Cousteau…. THAT makes your wonder if a person is serious about his future or just wants to “play”….

Playing is OK, if one: a) has an inheritance. b) is willing to live very poorly AND NOT DEMAND that others pay for him when he is old, cold and hungry. c) has no responsibilities to parents and other family members.

I’ve been reading LC’s “soul searchings” many times….. A, B, and C, does NOT apply to him….. and yet every 6 months he twiddles with an idea of, oh..:o, yet another Glam Job....

Sorry, LC, that I am speaking of you in 3rd person. I can make it “first person” form.

Anita18
12-29-2010, 06:51 PM
5-figures on can still live one well enough vs. 4-figure one might get working at a coffee shop with a mixture of 3 liberal arts majors.

I believe in pursuing one's dream, even in a most competitive field.

However, when one person, with-in a range of 30’s shows a pattern, of a) frequently changing one's mind about what one wants to do “as an initial step into one’s future”, b) and the choices are always “glam jobs” – dancer, editor, Jacque Cousteau…. THAT makes your wonder if a person is serious about his future or just wants to “play”….

Playing is OK, if one: a) has an inheritance. b) is willing to live very poorly AND NOT DEMAND that others pay for him when he is old, cold and hungry. c) has no responsibilities to parents and other family members.

I’ve been reading LC’s “soul searchings” many times….. A, B, and C, does NOT apply to him….. and yet every 6 months he twiddles with an idea of, oh..:o, yet another Glam Job....

Sorry, LC, that I am speaking of you in 3rd person. I can make it “first person” form.
You can live well with 5-figures in student loan debt? My friend graduated from law school recently and her loan payments will surpass many people's monthly rent in due time. :shuffle:

This friend would have really liked to be a screenwriter instead, but her mom was ecstatic over her future 6-figure salary when she got into law school....a salary which is decidedly not coming. Her dad managed to find her a secretarial job with his connections, a job which pays okay but doesn't utilize her law degree much. She now writes her screenplays after work and has several online writing partners and finds gigs on Craigslist.

LC, I think it'd be prudent not to put too many of your eggs in one basket. Like me and my friend, you can juggle several things at one time. You don't need to find the "perfect job," or the "perfect career." You can find a "good enough job" that you like doing, and gives you the money/flexibility to pursue your interests on the side. It's not like we're putting our dreams on hold, we're still pursuing them, but more methodically AND with money coming in.

Tinami Amori
12-29-2010, 06:59 PM
You can live well with 5-figures in student loan debt? My friend graduated from law school recently and her loan payments will surpass many people's monthly rent in due time. :shuffle:

a) This is a "specific" of one person that you know, and I am sure many others.. but still.... Some take loans, some don't. It does not hurt to work your way through college. It's been done by millions, people work their way through higher education, without "student loans", or grants, or scholar-ships.... Sure it’s harder…. But as we say in Russia, “the only thing that’s easy – is cheese in a mouse-trap”.

b) 5-figure salary can be 19,000 USD per year….. or 99,000 USD per year….

It's a tough world out-there.... every decision costs something.

Rob
12-29-2010, 07:02 PM
LC, I generally agree with the "take a class before you rule anything out approach" because that is what college is for. But when you are getting a late start (like I did and most of my friends did), you have to ask yourself if you have time to grow in a field that requires you to spend 10-20+ years as a student, intern, or on short contacts before you find a permanent job (if ever). On the art & archaeology side of lab work, I have a friend who has a BA in classics (Hunter), an MA in art history (Institute of Fine Arts in NYC), and an MA in conservation (Queens U, Ontario, Canada), which she got after going back to undergrad to take all the chemistry required. She has an internship and contract job resume that includes several stints at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, 2 stints at the National Museum of the American Indian (both DC and NY), the Getty Museum, several summers at the American Research Institute in Ankara, Turkey, the Hispanic Society in NYC, and several digs in Greece. She started school in 1986. She reads Latin, Greek, French, German, Italian, and English. She can't get a permanent lab job to save her life. She got the conservation degree because it was impossible to find paying art/archeology work without it even though she was in a PhD program at one of the top schools in the country (which she left to do the conservation). She never went back to the PhD program. So she still relies on 3 month to 1 year contract jobs, some with benefits, some without. She is overqualified for the entry level contracts so she is always on the brink of being discontinued if there is another cut in funding. She says that if your family can endow a wing or a lab, you'll find a job. Otherwise, you have to wait for someone to die and everyone above you to shuffle up. And most of her friends are in the same boat she is in. She started school when she was older than you are now so it can be done if you are ok with temporary contracts, but she says it is harder looking for this kind of work when you are over the normal college/grad school age --people think you won't put up with being a basement dweller or shovel bum.

LordCirque
12-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Sorry, to burst your bubble, but this is not a good university for anthropology. They don't even have their own department but are just thrown in with another field. Any lab jobs in paleo anth (not that there are any :lol: ) will be filled with PhDs from prestigious anthropology departments or grad students. I can't imagine what you think an undergrad lab class will qualify you for outside anthropology or archaeology. :huh: There are 30 "shovel bums" with years and years of practical experience available for any contract job in RCM. And, lastly, "Bones" is a highly fictionalized version of forensic anthropology and forensic science is nothing like any other TV show. :rofl:

I'm quite aware Forensic science is nothing like it is on TV, and I'm also aware that in that field, there is a very very small chance of obtaining a position like the one she has on Bones, and that most Forensic Anthropologists do very little actual case work and are mostly academics.

UCSC caught my attention because they have a Board Certified Forensic Anthropologist on staff.

I wasn't even thinking of jobs specific to Anthropology or Archaeology, I was thinking of basic science lab jobs that I remember seeing old classmates of mine talk about when they finished their biology degrees.

What ARE the best schools for Physical Anthropology? I'm assuming UT Knoxville is one of them, given the Bodyfarm is there. I know two people, my Anthropology professor included, that went to UC Santa Barbara so I'm guessing that's another one. Northwestern seems to be another based on what I've seen.

Prancer
12-29-2010, 08:27 PM
An article on retention and graduation rates that addresses some of the issues brought up here: http://www.economicmodeling.com/2010/12/20/retention-completion-and-higher-goals-for-higher-ed/

I'll say it again--you need a Plan B.

Rob
12-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Two useful sites:

Free Dictionary acronym search (http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/iow)

Hee, the first usage in this one was "Isle of Wight." :lol: