PDA

View Full Version : Comparative Literature Major

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]

GarrAarghHrumph
12-31-2010, 04:17 PM
One of the things you may want to think about which perhaps might help a bit, is not what you want to do for the rest of your life; but what you want to do *next*. I think a lot of people obsess (and thus get stuck on, and can't move past) the idea that they must decide what they want to do FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIFE!!!!. That is a false pressure. Most people change careers - not jobs, but careers - about 5 times over their lifetimes. One thing leads to another. So unless you are absolutely positive about what you want to do with your life, don't overly obsess about it. In other words, don't let that stop you from even starting.

Pick something you would like to do next. Not for the next 40 years, but just... next. Something you might like. Something that's realistic for you - your skills, your interests, the region of the US where you live. And that thing may not be ideal, but it's a start. See where it takes you. During your time in that first job, check out career paths within your field, and outside it. What do you need to do to get where you want to go? Do your research while you're employed, then take your next steps.

To be honest, once you get past a certain age (I don't know your age, but I'm talking about graduating with your bachelors at around age 28/30 or older), I usually advise students to simply graduate with *something*, and that "something" may need to be something highly career-oriented, in a field you won't actively hate, which is in demand/hiring in your region, and pays decently - and which is accepting of "older" entry level employees (not all fields are.) I'm not saying that you must do this, but that it's something you need to think through, and evaluate the risk v. benefits to you.

And as an aside, that field is not culinary. Culinary pays badly. Many culinary grads have to leave the field. They can't make enough in it to pay back their student loans.

And if you have student loan debt, you need to make wise choices. You'll need to graduate into a job that will pay enough for you to make those payments. Defaulting on student loans is not an option. It's harsh. You can't get out from under your student loans. You must go into any student loan you take out with your eyes wide open to your ability to pay it back when you graduate.

poths
12-31-2010, 05:56 PM
What the mother fcking fck is this thread that Ive fckin read in its entirety!

Lord Cirque, I can only hope that you are actually a 50 year old lady who works in a library and merely exploring the pseud of a 20 something socially inept, mentally deranged/challenged, rent boy wannabe, attention seeking, go go dancing, thesaurus loving, self loving whilst self loathing, mother thieving, bankrupting, egotistical FRRRREAK.

If you are in actual fact for real, then sweet LAMB OF JESUS, throw yourself off a bridge!!

Just in time for the New Year!:saint:

Harsh? eys
True? Mucho!!

jp1andonly
12-31-2010, 06:46 PM
poths: we can always count on you to stir it up...LOL

Lord Cirque, I can only hope that you are actually a 50 year old lady who works in a library and merely exploring the pseud of a 20 something socially inept, mentally deranged/challenged, rent boy wannabe, attention seeking, go go dancing, thesaurus loving, self loving whilst self loathing, mother thieving, bankrupting, egotistical FRRRREAK.

If you are in actual fact for real, then sweet LAMB OF JESUS, throw yourself off a bridge!!

Harsh? eys
True? Mucho!!

taf2002
12-31-2010, 06:55 PM

Harsh? eys
True? Mucho!!

I agree, except for the throw yourself off a bridge thing. I don't think anyone wants that. Better advice would be to grow up. Twenty-six is too old to still be sponging off of mommy & friends. Get a job, any job, whether it is your dream or not, then work towards your dream part time. That is what 99% of the world (those who don't have rich parents or a trust fund) have had to do.

galaxygirl
12-31-2010, 07:12 PM

Harsh? eys
True? Mucho!!

Telling LC to commit suicide is far worse than any wrong you feel he has committed in this thread.

genevieve
12-31-2010, 07:43 PM
Agreed.

Time to close the thread.