PDA

View Full Version : Passport Renewal Questions....

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Rex
12-22-2010, 03:43 PM
.....do you have to pay for a renewal of a passport? Mine expires next January...

flyingsit
12-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Yep. Here's the State Dept. page: http://travel.state.gov/passport/fees/fees_837.html

Rex
12-22-2010, 04:07 PM
Yep. Here's the State Dept. page: http://travel.state.gov/passport/fees/fees_837.html

What is the difference between the book and the card? Can they both get you across borders? I'm so cheap sometimes :lol:.
I don't know when I'm gonna go abroad next, but it is a nice-to-have item, you know?

Chele615
12-22-2010, 04:14 PM
I could be wrong, but I think the card is more for traveling between US and Canada. I don't think the card could be used to get into Europe.

Skittl1321
12-22-2010, 04:14 PM
What is the difference between the book and the card? Can they both get you across borders? I'm so cheap sometimes :lol:.
I don't know when I'm gonna go abroad next, but it is a nice-to-have item, you know?

The card is just good for Canada/Mexico/Carribean and only for land/sea. If you are flying to another country you need the book. Unless you live near the border and cross a lot by car, or are a frequent cruiser, I wouldn't bother with the card. The regular passport book can be used everywhere.

genevieve
12-22-2010, 04:24 PM
WOW those fees are a lot higher than I remember paying for my last passport :eek:

Mine expires in May 2011...I know that there are some international travel restrictions 6 months before the expiration date (which is :blah: ). Do I need to renew before I go to Canada next month, or is it just for flying?

aliceanne
12-22-2010, 04:39 PM
WOW those fees are a lot higher than I remember paying for my last passport :eek:

Mine expires in May 2011...I know that there are some international travel restrictions 6 months before the expiration date (which is :blah: ). Do I need to renew before I go to Canada next month, or is it just for flying?

You'll need the passport to get back in the U.S. They changed the rule in June 2009 to include all forms of transportation.

aliceanne
12-22-2010, 04:44 PM

The card is intended for commuters and people who have to cross the border on a regular basis.

If you are going through the trouble of renewing I would get the book, then you won't have to worry about what you need when you travel.

I renewed my passport at the post office, they took the picture and everything.

flyingsit
12-22-2010, 04:58 PM

Different countries have different entry requirements for how close your passport can be to its expiration date, so it depends on Canada's restrictions.

genevieve
12-22-2010, 05:34 PM
How does one find that info out? I looked on that site and couldn't find anything. Hmmm

Aceon6
12-22-2010, 05:54 PM
travel.state.gov main site has all the info US citizens and perm residents need including the specific documents required for re-entry.

genevieve
12-22-2010, 05:57 PM
that's where I was looking and I couldn't find it.

Aceon6
12-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Just click on International Travel, then select the country. You'll get a full page of info including the entry/exit requirements.

genevieve
12-22-2010, 06:03 PM
ok thanks. I don't see anything about how many months prior to expiration the passport needs to be, only that it must be valid, but it looks like i'm in the window to get an expedited passport back in time.

Rex
12-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I will get a new book. Now I just have to get some good passport pics where I don't look like Gary Coleman's older brother!