PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Classic Gets A Re-Write For The Working Poor

PeterG
12-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Hark! Walmart Flash Mob (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz1nWKV0YxE)

At the end of the video, it says the lyrics were written by a member of the Raging Grannies. :D

Artemis@BC
12-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Ok, technially not a "flash mob," more like "guerilla theatre," ... and I think the audience (people who have already made the decision to shop at Walmart) are not really receptive to the message ... but still, brilliant. Bravo!

I'm surprised they were allowed to finish their song before security arrived to throw them out!

algonquin
12-21-2010, 08:18 PM
I'm surprised they were allowed to finish their song before security arrived to throw them out!I had the same thought. It is brilliant, never-the-less.

Maybe a naive question, but Walmart has to pay at least minimum wage here. Does the US not have a minimum wage?

mpal2
12-21-2010, 10:22 PM
I had the same thought. It is brilliant, never-the-less.

Maybe a naive question, but Walmart has to pay at least minimum wage here. Does the US not have a minimum wage?

They do have to pay minimum wage. Wal Mart gets a lot of shit for being pretty similar to any other retail job. I suspect it has a lot to do with being a large employer that is not unionized because I could make the same complaints about any of the stores. It depends on the area you live in. Sometimes Wal Mart is the crappier store. Sometimes it's Target. Take your pick.

BigB08822
12-21-2010, 10:49 PM
I never have gotten all the hate for Walmart. I understand there may be reasons for it but none of them seem to stand out as particularly different or worse from other large retail chains. They absolutely must and do pay minimum wage, so that piece of information was intentionally misleading. It almost always comes down to how much money this family is raking in. Jealous, much? What do they think we live and work in, a communist country? The Waltons aren't going to sit down and divide their income by the number of people they employ to make sure everyone gets the same amount of money. If people don't want to work for their wages then get a job elsewhere. If you want to use the argument about Walmart putting those "other" jobs out of business, well then I guess you shouldn't have shopped at Walmart instead of the local businesses. Everyone has to take responsibility. Walmart wouldn't be around if no one supported them.

PeterG
12-22-2010, 12:54 AM
Does the US not have a minimum wage?

I thought it depended on the state, with some states having a minimum wage and some states...not. Years ago I was on vacation in New Mexico (where there was no minimum wage - at least at that time) and the friend I was travelling with met a man who said that he had three different jobs in order to make ends meet. This man also told my friend that there were lots of placed that paid people just a few dollars an hour... :(

I never have gotten all the hate for Walmart.

I recommend this DVD if you'd like to learn more about Wal-Mart:

Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price (2005) (http://www.amazon.com/Wal-Mart-High-Cost-Low-Price/dp/B000BTH4K4/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1292978963&sr=1-1)

They absolutely must and do pay minimum wage, so that piece of information was intentionally misleading.

I thought the point was about people making a "living wage" rather than "minimum wage".

Everyone has to take responsibility. Walmart wouldn't be around if no one supported them.

Isn't it taking responsibility for an EXTREMELY wealthy employer to pay their workers a living wage? And just because people "support" Wal-Mart by shopping there, it doesn't mean that some morally ambiguous things are occurring. All kind of oppressive behaviour has happened throughout the centuries which the general population has supported. With hindsight, we know that all of that oppressive behaviour...was WRONG.

ArtisticFan
12-22-2010, 11:11 AM
I never have gotten all the hate for Walmart. I understand there may be reasons for it but none of them seem to stand out as particularly different or worse from other large retail chains.

My hate of Walmart comes from the fact that they do did and still do come into small towns that are unable to support a business of that size. The towns don't have the population to supply the workforce and the infrastructure of the city or county isn't strong enough to support the business. However, the company comes in and makes huge promises. The smaller businesses that had been thriving or at least surviving in those towns go out of business because they obviously can't compete in terms of price or convenience of a large chain like Walmart. But everyone is happy, right? I mean they are paying less.

Then Walmart builds in a neighboring town that is larger and better able to handle a business of that size. The original store closes and that small town now has fewer locally owned businesses and residents must drive longer distances to get to the closest Walmart, which means those "savings" are now less than before because of travel.

Other companies do this, but they aren't the size or structure of Walmart. When a grocery store does it, it affects a few local businesses. But when Walmart does it, it affects almost every industry in the city.

Many of my uneducated relatives work for Walmart. I know that they have been unhappy in recent changes to things like a lack of company contribution to retirement, etc. Most companies are experiencing similar policies in this economy. So we'll see what happens there.

Erica Lee
12-22-2010, 12:10 PM
A lot of what they are singing about is not the wages paid to the workers in the Wal Mart stores, but about the workers in the factories that make all the stuff. There's a reason Wal Mart (and other places... I don't get the "blame Wal Mart" thing either, because other chains are just as bad) can sell items so cheaply, and it's not simply because of their "buying power" as they market to us... it's because the people making the items are paid poorly and work in poor conditions.

http://storyofstuff.com/