PDA

View Full Version : SWTS - the Finals

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27

purple skates
12-24-2010, 03:17 AM
I think general america might know that some ice dancers medalled at the Olympics, but probably not who, how often (since we've now got 2 different OSM teams), or even when.

I just asked my husband if he knew who B/A are. He said they were pairs skaters. Close. ;) Of course, he is occasionally forced to watch on tv or listen to me talk about skating so he isn't the average Joe in that regard. :lol:

ETA: He didn't know Davis/White or Samulson/Bates. I have failed. :drama:

meggonzo
12-24-2010, 04:35 AM
I disagree with that. Tanith and Ben are two-time Olympians, once winning a silver medal and the other time finishing fourth. They've won five U.S. Championships, four World medals and competed at Worlds nine times. I think even people who don't follow skating have an idea who they are.

Tanith even said that the stars on the show didn't realize she was a skater.

REO
12-24-2010, 04:39 AM
I can't believe LaurieAnne got death threats from someone telling her to keep her hands off Johnny W.!!!! What was up with that?!

purple skates
12-24-2010, 05:00 AM
:saint:

(just kidding)

(ETA - the :saint: was supposed to stand for a Johnny's Angel, not for me. In the light of the morning this post doesn't look too good. :shuffle:)

BittyBug
12-24-2010, 06:06 AM
I can't believe LaurieAnne got death threats from someone telling her to keep her hands off Johnny W.!!!! What was up with that?!:eek: Where did you read about that?

Swishcicle
12-24-2010, 06:58 AM
:eek: Where did you read about that?

It's from Perez Hilton (http://perezhilton.com/2010-12-21-judge-laurie-ann-gibson-receiving-death-threats-on-the-set-of-skating-with-the-stars). The person sending the threats is likely the one commenting there as both Mimi and CandiMandi. She thinks LaurieAnn is purposely taunting and hurting her by touching Johnny on camera and that LaurieAnn rightfully DESERVES to be hurt for provoking someone OUT THERE... :scream:

paskatefan
12-24-2010, 10:55 AM
Tanith even said that the stars on the show didn't realize she was a skater.

Gee, that's pretty sad. :( :eek:

REO
12-24-2010, 03:20 PM
It's from Perez Hilton (http://perezhilton.com/2010-12-21-judge-laurie-ann-gibson-receiving-death-threats-on-the-set-of-skating-with-the-stars). The person sending the threats is likely the one commenting there as both Mimi and CandiMandi. She thinks LaurieAnn is purposely taunting and hurting her by touching Johnny on camera and that LaurieAnn rightfully DESERVES to be hurt for provoking someone OUT THERE... :scream:

That's not where I heard it. Vernon announced it on the show but no details. And then Johnny mentioned it on twitter. There are some strange rangers out there.

my little pony
12-24-2010, 08:27 PM
why can't i get excited over someone wanting to hurt laurie anne? i'll blame the mimosas, yes

Swishcicle
12-24-2010, 08:41 PM
That's not where I heard it. Vernon announced it on the show but no details. And then Johnny mentioned it on twitter. There are some strange rangers out there.

Ah, I see. I still had google alerts on for the show, but I stopped watching after Brandon left. :shuffle:

indyw
12-24-2010, 10:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qxUk8Vgt5k

Todd Sand on "Dancing On Ice" in Britain.

Todd Sand had the patience of a SAINT in that series.

skatemommy
12-24-2010, 11:56 PM
I just realized that "boomcack" is dance judge girl's twitter handle. Carry On.

LadyGray
12-25-2010, 03:44 PM
We're staying with my husband's family for Xmas who were watching the finale on TiVo when we arrived yesterday. They said they've been watching the series because they thought it would be enjoyable. They didn't know who *anyone* on the show was-- the skaters nor the celebrities, but they liked it and got really invested in the outcome (they were totally wuzrobbing "that skiing guy who was in the Olympics").

The six pros included 2 recent national champions, another national medallist with decent international results over several seasons who'd been to Worlds several times and to the Olys. That's half the slate that I think easily qualifies as "world class". And the two biggest unknown pros on the show, Ethan and Fred, made it to the finals, so their lack of name recognition didn't hurt them.

Fact is, niether ice dance nor pairs is ever going to be well known in the US, so even if Tanith or Ben had participated, I bet most of the audience would have known much of the difference.

It would be funny if those rumors about Sasha learning pairs had been in preparation for this show, though. THAT would have been a draw :lol:

GarrAarghHrumph
12-25-2010, 04:29 PM
:confused: What do you call that pink effort that Aliona wears this year? (Or were you being facetious?)

It's a unitard, which is technically trousers...? ;)

But the USFS (also, I believe, the ISU) has a rule that women must wear skirts or, recently added, trousers; and men cannot wear tights on their own ala in ballet, without being covered up in certain places.

Allen
12-25-2010, 04:39 PM
It's a unitard, which is technically trousers...? ;)

But the USFS (also, I believe, the ISU) has a rule that women must wear skirts or, recently added, trousers; and men cannot wear tights on their own ala in ballet, without being covered up in certain places.

Well, it's a shame that men can't wear tights, but consider most don't wear a dance belt, we still get a decent view sometimes. :grope:

When Aliona and Robin do the split lift, the hold world is her gynecologist in that outfit.