PDA

View Full Version : SWTS - the Finals

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27

orbitz
12-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Doesn't the trophy look like someone simply took a pair of skates and dip them in bronze paint, LOL. They should have given out medals just like in the Olympics.

Allen
12-23-2010, 05:35 PM
How about Hayden Panetierre? I saw her learning a loop jump in an Ice Princess promo on the Disney Channel.

And if we have a second season of this, I demand that they bring Vernon back!! He's half the fun.

I somehow doubt Hayden Panetierre would do the show right now. That would be fun though.

I'm conflicted about Vernon. He let loose at the end of the season, but he became almost cartoonish. I did like all the subtle digs at Bethenny.

suep1963
12-23-2010, 06:26 PM
I don't mean to be nasty, but who are the UK show using for "pros"? Who is Olga? IIRC, she has never been at a GP event or a Worlds.

Pro doesn't mean famous, or a medal holder or even a former competitor. Professional means you get a paycheck for doing what you are doing. These are obviously people who can skate, and can skate well enough to be hired to do so. They are ineligable to compete, therefore, they are pro. Lots of them out there, I am sure. And very happy to be working.

Jenny
12-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Pro doesn't mean famous, or a medal holder or even a former competitor. Professional means you get a paycheck for doing what you are doing. These are obviously people who can skate, and can skate well enough to be hired to do so. They are ineligable to compete, therefore, they are pro. Lots of them out there, I am sure. And very happy to be working.

For me at least, the issue was the pre-show promo materials that said "world class skaters." I think they might have even used the word "champions." To me, that's people who have competed internationally and stood on the podium in their own country as seniors. One could argue if that's a correct definition, but the point is it's the expectation that is raised.

Later, when we found out that for the most part they weren't "world class" or "champions," it was disappointing. If they had just said "professional skaters" from the beginning, I think most of us would have known what that meant and been glad to see any skater getting a job.

my little pony
12-23-2010, 06:56 PM
I don't mean to be nasty, but who are the UK show using for "pros"? Who is Olga? IIRC, she has never been at a GP event or a Worlds.

maybe somewhere in the UK someone is demanding to know who Ethan is

pixie cut
12-23-2010, 07:34 PM
maybe somewhere in the UK someone is demanding to know who Ethan is

I think people in the U.S. would like to know that too.

Seriously, there are some incredibly talented pro skaters who have performed all over the world, but who have very little name recognition. It also takes certain skills to do a show like Skating with the Stars or Dancing on Ice. They have to teach well, handle their "star" partners' egos and know how to make novices shine.

nerdycool
12-23-2010, 07:39 PM
I think people in the U.S. would like to know that too.I just thought it was ironic that the 2 pros I didn't know of were the ones who made it to the final. Little did I know that not every pro has to be *just retired or SOI material.

genevieve
12-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Later, when we found out that for the most part they weren't "world class" or "champions," it was disappointing. If they had just said "professional skaters" from the beginning, I think most of us would have known what that meant and been glad to see any skater getting a job.

The six pros included 2 recent national champions, another national medallist with decent international results over several seasons who'd been to Worlds several times and to the Olys. That's half the slate that I think easily qualifies as "world class". And the two biggest unknown pros on the show, Ethan and Fred, made it to the finals, so their lack of name recognition didn't hurt them.

Fact is, niether ice dance nor pairs is ever going to be well known in the US, so even if Tanith or Ben had participated, I bet most of the audience would have known much of the difference.

It would be funny if those rumors about Sasha learning pairs had been in preparation for this show, though. THAT would have been a draw :lol:

pixie cut
12-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Fact is, niether ice dance nor pairs is ever going to be well known in the US, so even if Tanith or Ben had participated, I bet most of the audience would have known much of the difference.

I disagree with that. Tanith and Ben are two-time Olympians, once winning a silver medal and the other time finishing fourth. They've won five U.S. Championships, four World medals and competed at Worlds nine times. I think even people who don't follow skating have an idea who they are.

Sassafras
12-23-2010, 08:13 PM
I hated Vernon when the show started, but got to like him a bit by the end.

sk8er1964
12-23-2010, 08:21 PM
I disagree with that. Tanith and Ben are two-time Olympians, once winning a silver medal and the other time finishing fourth. They've won five U.S. Championships, four World medals and competed at Worlds nine times. I think even people who don't follow skating have an idea who they are.

I just asked my co-worker if she knew who Ben Agosto and Tanith Belbin are. She said no.

ETA - and everyone here knows about my skating and being a fan. If she had remotely heard of them, she probably would have made a skating connection.

genevieve
12-23-2010, 08:22 PM
I think general america might know that some ice dancers medalled at the Olympics, but probably not who, how often (since we've now got 2 different OSM teams), or even when.

Allen
12-23-2010, 09:13 PM

I just asked my parents to see if they knew and they didn't, so my partner goes, "she's that really perky chick who has an O face even when she's skating to Tosca." My dad goes, oh yeah, I know who that is. :rofl:

danceronice
12-23-2010, 09:54 PM
I think general america might know that some ice dancers medalled at the Olympics, but probably not who, how often (since we've now got 2 different OSM teams), or even when.

Yep. My parents occasionally will watch skating and they have no idea what the names are. My mother could probably recognize Meryl and Charlie only because they were in the UM alumni magazine, and even then would likely only know "those two skaters who went to Michigan."

OrioleBeagle
12-24-2010, 02:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qxUk8Vgt5k

Todd Sand on "Dancing On Ice" in Britain.