PDA

View Full Version : SWTS - the Finals

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27

Allen
12-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Julie Benz is on the show No Ordinary Family, which coincidentally followed last night's SWTS finale.

She was also on Dexter until right before No Ordinary Family started. I'd like to see her skate though. I actually hope that there is a second season. I have to admit that if Bethenny had won, I wouldn't have cared about a second season.

skatesindreams
12-22-2010, 06:58 PM
:encore::encore::encore:
Rebecca and Fred!

So much for Bethenny's "fanbase"!

If there is another season, I hope that they find a better host.

Rob
12-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Laurie Ann Gibson - My daughter is involved heavily with dance, and she says neither she nor her studio has ever heard of Laurie Ann Gibson - who supposedly says she "worked" with Michael Jackson, Beyonce, etc. - Yeah, right!:rolleyes:

Laurie Ann Gibson was a fly girl on In Living Color (like JLo, Carrie Ann Inaba). She was on a bunch of MTV shows a while back, and she now choreographs most of Lady GaGa's videos. She's worked with a number of other singers, but I dunno about Beyonce and Michael Jackson. She also choreographs from time to time on So You Think You Can Dance -- that is where I first saw her on TV. There is a Jessica Alba movie based on Laurie Ann's life - Haven't seen it, heard it was pretty bad. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_(2003_film). She has a reality show coming out in 2011 on E!

Skittl1321
12-22-2010, 07:31 PM
I think that Michelle Trachtenberg knew/learned the basics of how to skate. She couldn't do the higher level stuff so they hired a skating double, but Michelle would be a good SWTS candidate.

Michelle had a gorgeous outside spread eagle! In an interview she said her double actually couldn't do one- it's a matter of if your hips let you or not.

Skittl1321
12-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Compare the final programs of J&B to R&F and I think you get the same result with Rebecca&Fred winning. Both had nice flip-toe loop jumps, though. Jonny almost sent Brooke off-ice with that flubbed lift. He was a little shaky-looking and the program was athletic, but not terribly artistic.

In hindsight, Jonny & Brooke wuzrobbed of a second-place finish.

I too think Jonny and Brooke should have been second, but I'd rather have seen them first.

I don't think you can compare his flubbed lift to anything Rebecca did. She certainly never had to learn to lift anyone! And while being lifted isn't the easiest thing in the world, if she could be lifted off ice, she could be lifted on ice, because Fred is a pro. Whereas Jonny would have been less likely to hurt Brooke off ice than on.

Rebeccas Flip-toe loop was better than Jonny's but I think Jonny made more progress than she did- she came in very artistic. He came in a hot mess, and I think he learned a good amount of artistry.

genevieve
12-22-2010, 07:38 PM
There is a Jessica Alba movie based on Laurie Ann's life - Haven't seen it, heard it was pretty bad. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_(2003_film). She has a reality show coming out in 2011 on E!
I had no idea that Honey was based on Laurie Ann Gibson! :lol:

Skate Talker
12-22-2010, 07:51 PM
My husband asked me if Rebecca was wearing a girdle as her costume. :lol:

But happily, the skirtless leotard can't catch on in real skating right now - you are required to either wear a skirt or trousers. You can't wear just a leotard.

:confused: What do you call that pink effort that Aliona wears this year? (Or were you being facetious?)

Allen
12-22-2010, 08:06 PM
I had no idea that Honey was based on Laurie Ann Gibson! :lol:

Oh my god, that's really funny. I didn't know that either.

Laurie Ann Gibson is unfortunately a really well known choreographer with a fairly large resume of celebrity clients. Like her or not, she's definitely legit in the business.

reckless
12-22-2010, 08:26 PM
There is also the actress who plays Hope on Days of Our Lives. She competed some as a child and did some scenes where she was required to skate back in the 80's.
Kristian Alfonso (and I recently rewatched some of those skating scenes on YouTube). IIRC, she was a pretty strong skater but suffered an injury that killed any chance of a skating career and chose to go into acting instead.

Sparks
12-22-2010, 08:36 PM
I'd love to have that trophy...I'd put it on my piano with all my other figure skating stuff. That would ROCK!!!

ArtisticFan
12-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Kristian Alfonso (and I recently rewatched some of those skating scenes on YouTube). IIRC, she was a pretty strong skater but suffered an injury that killed any chance of a skating career and chose to go into acting instead.

That's it. I wasn't in the US at the time so I have just seen flashbacks of her skating on the show. It was because she was doing some "undercover work" or some silly storyline.

OrioleBeagle
12-23-2010, 01:44 AM
i finally know who jonny has been reminding me of, he's a butchy john barrowman

John Barrowman on the British version of the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ek4BP4tnHo

taf2002
12-23-2010, 04:39 PM
John Barrowman on the British version of the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ek4BP4tnHo

I don't mean to be nasty, but who are the UK show using for "pros"? Who is Olga? IIRC, she has never been at a GP event or a Worlds.

pixie cut
12-23-2010, 04:57 PM
I don't mean to be nasty, but who are the UK show using for "pros"? Who is Olga? IIRC, she has never been at a GP event or a Worlds.

Fred Palascak and his wife, Melanie Lambert, were on Dancing on Ice for several years.

The show tends to use relatively unknown skaters. Some performed with Holiday on Ice and Robin Cousins was familiar with their work. Others performed on the cruise ships or in park shows. Somebody saw them and brought them to Torvill and Dean's attention. There are a lot of pro skaters performing various venues around the world.

Olga is Olga Sharutenko. According to Wikipedia was a World Junior Champion. I believe season one was her only season on the show.

Bev Johnston
12-23-2010, 05:16 PM
I know "Ice Princess" was an unrealistic movie, but I think that Michelle Trachtenberg knew/learned the basics of how to skate. She couldn't do the higher level stuff so they hired a skating double, but Michelle would be a good SWTS candidate.

How about Hayden Panetierre? I saw her learning a loop jump in an Ice Princess promo on the Disney Channel.

And if we have a second season of this, I demand that they bring Vernon back!! He's half the fun.